BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 10:47 pm  #21

Re: Could S4 be the last one?

Same feeling.
​And if they genuinely don't know whether there's gonna be a 5th season, then I guess it means TFP won't end with a cliffhanger (unlike the end of each previous season where there was no doubt that a next season was planned)

​At the end of TFP, we won't be like "OMG! They can't stop it here! Not with what just happened! The wait is going to kill me!", we'll be like "Alright. So this is probably the end." (and cry buckets and buckets!) because the story they've been telling us for years will come to its conclusion.

​Which doesn't mean that they won't make another season (in a very long time) or maybe a Christmas special in a couple of years, but if no one can be sure right now, that means the episode won't make us expect anything more... It will probably answer all our questions... Or maybe leave some answers to our own interpretation.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 11, 2017 10:47 pm)

Just like old times...

January 12, 2017 1:02 am  #22

Punch me in the face wrote:

Same feeling.
​And if they genuinely don't know whether there's gonna be a 5th season, then I guess it means TFP won't end with a cliffhanger (unlike the end of each previous season where there was no doubt that a next season was planned)

​At the end of TFP, we won't be like "OMG! They can't stop it here! Not with what just happened! The wait is going to kill me!", we'll be like "Alright. So this is probably the end." (and cry buckets and buckets!) because the story they've been telling us for years will come to its conclusion.

​Which doesn't mean that they won't make another season (in a very long time) or maybe a Christmas special in a couple of years, but if no one can be sure right now, that means the episode won't make us expect anything more... It will probably answer all our questions... Or maybe leave some answers to our own interpretation.

Just thought the same way... I just hope that they wont stop the show yet. Ofc its stupid to have such a long wait between the seasons but perhaps they can manage to make more seasons especially because of that so that people got enough time for other projects and stuff. 

The funny thing is... I just started watching Sherlock a month or two ago. A friend of mine told me about it and yeah I gave it a try as she just couldnt stop talking about it anymore. That would be so... sad if it would end now. 

The question is... how and when will we get informed if or if not theres going to be season 5. Ofc you can say a lot after we all have seen the last episode for now but still... I just dont want to think about the possibility that we all think theres going to be season 5 and after a year or so they say "oh no there wont be any more". 

January 12, 2017 6:41 am  #23

Normally they more or less tell us straight after a season has finished...but I don't know if there in a position to this time.
Unfortunately it may just be the nature of the beast that they will not be able to give us a definite answer, at least for a long while.
I am certainly not expecting a S 5.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2017 6:52 am  #24

besleybean wrote:

Normally they more or less tell us straight after a season has finished...but I don't know if there in a position to this time.
Unfortunately it may just be the nature of the beast that they will not be able to give us a definite answer, at least for a long while.
I am certainly not expecting a S 5.

Yep, same here.
It's easier for them to announce a new season quite soon than to confirm they won't be doing Sherlock anymore - I think we'll never get this particular confirmation because there is always a chance of a Christmas special at least.
I prefer not to hold my breath, make my peace with the ending we'll be shown this Sunday, and be pleasantly surprised to see a special in two years

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 12, 2017 6:58 am  #25

Two years might be incredibly ambitious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2017 7:04 am  #26

I think it's much easier for them to squeeze in a special.
On the other hand, they'd need to come up with a good reason for one.
Moftiss say that they love the show and this is precisely why they don't want to be doing it longer than the story requires. I'm actually with them on this, no matter how greedy I am for more just for the sake of MORE.

-----

January 12, 2017 7:07 am  #27

I definitely think there is still scope for them to do more, but I have to respect the actors' wishes to do other work.

January 12, 2017 5:36 pm  #28

Hmm... I would ofc also prefer to wait a while till they confirm that theres going to be a new season. But I think if they typically announced it after the ending of a season and they wont this time its obvious. I would love to see some specials its better than nothing ofc and I know what you mean its better to end a show before it gets bad but for me theres no reason to stop Sherlock already

January 12, 2017 6:03 pm  #29

It was interesting reading Martin;s interview, with the added piece from Steven.
So it seems if they write big and exciting enough....they may just keep the boys on board!

January 14, 2017 5:54 pm  #30

I am not sure hiw long will ne too long. I love Sherlock but I can only tell you how I feel about Star Trek. Been a full fletched Fan for decades. Met Hubby at a Trek Dinner, went to conventions, wrote and read Fan fics ...

And then, after Enterprise, nothing new was coming. Being left in a void, I discovered Sherlock.

I watch the new movies and I will watch the new show but my heart is no longer in it. :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 14, 2017 5:55 pm  #31

besleybean wrote:

I think some may leave the fandom for other reasons, too.
But I can't be the only one who would watch on, if it was an option, regardless of the gap?

Honestly? I'm afraid that I die sooner than new Sherlock happens. Not that I have a condition or anything, but it's just... I like overarching stories and they are important to me. I hope if there is more, than it's not a stand alone story. But a connected story means that some issues need be be left unaddressed. But with unaddressed issues, I don't want to be left hanging for ages, not knowing if there's gonna be anything else.

The look would have to be very different in 10 years too. Having seen all the text overlays in TST I actually thought it was due to the more modern version. In 10 years it will have to be! And then maybe it's not really our Sherlock anymore.

Schmiezi wrote:

For me, I can only tell you how I feel about Star Trek. Been a full fletched Fan for decades. Met Hubby at a Trek Dinner, went to conventions, wrote and read Fan fics ...

And then, after Enterprise, nothing. Being left in a void, I discovered Sherlock.

I warch the new movies and I will watch the new show but my heart is no longer in it. :-(

Yep, same here, a huge Star Trek fan. A huge Harry Potter fan too, and while I'm still reading and translating a lot of HP fanfiction, I'm yet to get to the new book. So not overly enthusiastic anymore after all these years, sadly.

-----

January 14, 2017 5:57 pm  #32

God, I can't copy and paste from the other thread...grumble, mutter, curse-
Okay, will write it all out again!
Star Trek:  the original series will always be my favourite.
But I watch all the other versions, too.
I love the new films and I think Benedict is the best Khan.
Sherlock Holmes:  
The Canon is my favourite of the literature.
But I read much other Sherlock themed stuff, too.
BBC Sherlock is my favourite film/TV depiction of Canon, but I will always watch other version as well.
It'll always be my Sherlock and I am sure they will not leave any unresolved issues...at least for those of us who never thought there was an issue! 

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2017 6:00 pm)

January 14, 2017 6:13 pm  #33

Oh I'll watch new Sherlock in 10 years' time too, I'm just afraid that all my euphory will be gone by then. Oh well.
And yes, Benedict is earth-shattering as Khan. And I had said that before I knew who he was.

You know, besley, it would be odd if only the JL bit would remain unresolved (if there is any, as you say). I mean, that would be just a tiny link between old and new Sherlock, not enough to make them feel like one show, I think. It's not a romcom after all, there needs to be something like Moriarty to connect the versions... but dragging him along can get old too.

Last edited by ewige (January 14, 2017 6:15 pm)

-----

January 14, 2017 6:16 pm  #34

In my heart of hearts, I cannot honestly see either of our leads wanting to do a future episode purely for Johnlock...either for or against.
But you must understand, it is very difficult to debate a negative. 
I see no Johnlock, so in that sense it is a non-issue for me.

January 14, 2017 7:37 pm  #35

Oh, you're all over here.  Taking this from the other thread ..

As for further episodes .... I'm beginning to feel that "the story we've been telling all along" may just be what they originally said they were going to tell - i.e. how Sherlock became the mature, Rathbone-era Sherlock Holmes.  By tomorrow night he will have resolved some things and be ready to embark on that.  So it's the end of an era ... but it's open for Moftiss to write for the new era Sherlock too.   Rathbone was a fairly young-looking forty-something when he started playing Holmes, and Benedict is now in his 40s.  If they can't schedule filming for another few years, then it would be right for him to be "mature" Sherlock.

As for JL, to be honest, I just don't think that's the story they've been telling, and so it doesn't need resolving. 

January 14, 2017 7:39 pm  #36

Me and you both.
Also sorry to everyone for wandering OT on various threads.
I know I sometimes do anyway, but I admit to being sloppy now the end game is insight.

January 14, 2017 7:47 pm  #37

besleybean wrote:

In my heart of hearts, I cannot honestly see either of our leads wanting to do a future episode purely for Johnlock...either for or against.

I know. The stories need have a lot of meat. As exciting as JL is (for me), it would be not enough challenge for the actors to justify a new season.

-----

January 14, 2017 7:50 pm  #38

Liberty wrote:

As for further episodes .... I'm beginning to feel that "the story we've been telling all along" may just be what they originally said they were going to tell - i.e. how Sherlock became the mature, Rathbone-era Sherlock Holmes.

But do you think Sherlock will ever stop becoming more mature? His character development is the major arc of the story, it can't just stop. That would be unrealistic too - people grow wiser every day, not until a certain point. And if the end of an era meas the end of arrogant, self-absorbed, emotionally unsure Sherlock we all know and love, it won't be the same show anymore.

-----

January 14, 2017 7:53 pm  #39

I think I could live with various incarnations of Sherlock...he's not always obnoxious.

January 14, 2017 7:56 pm  #40

We can count the lose threads tomorrow night together. I think the ratio of solved/unsolved mysteries will be a good indicator as to what way they are leaning to in regard to the new season.

-----

Board footera