BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 9:20 pm  #141

Re: Why didn't Sherlock recognise his own sister? Discuss!

It's still seems odd - even if she killed a dog, she wouldn't be exiled and deleted from memory, surely?   How extreme would it have to be for a child to not only be permanently removed from their family, but kept secret into adulthood?    It would have to be at least an actual murder, surely?    Anyway, I don't know why I'm speculating - it's a bit of an impossible mystery at the moment.  I honestly think we haven't been given enough clues to know yet.  We can guess, but there is too much missing information. 

I'm still liking the idea of the Sussex Vampire, and I'm sorry, but I've forgotten who mentioned that? 

January 11, 2017 9:27 pm  #142

That's true liberty, I think we're stabbing in the dark a little. It'll definitely be an interesting and exciting episode as with TST and TLD I knew that there would be surprises but I had some (even just a little) idea as to what would happen, literally no idea with TFP! I can't wait to see what secrets the Holmes' have.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 11, 2017 9:59 pm  #143

I have to admit by being thrown by ending of TLD despite the fact that I noticed from the beginning that the therapist was bus stop lady was Sian Brooke, and the original Culverton's daughter wasn't. 

I'm just thinking that Sherlock has such a strong need to protect that it seems to me his "memory" must be about failing to protect.  But then "pirate" throws me.  Pirates are not really about protection.  Maybe about romantic adventuring and swashbuckling.  I thought I was clear about that line in ASIB, but I'm now less sure. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 11, 2017 10:00 pm)

January 11, 2017 10:04 pm  #144

I always wondered WHY Sherlock wanted to be a pirat, of all things. Could it be connected to Eurus?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 11, 2017 10:06 pm  #145

It does seem to be now.  It looks like we weren't given all the information.

January 12, 2017 1:21 am  #146

Schmiezi wrote:

I always wondered WHY Sherlock wanted to be a pirat, of all things. Could it be connected to Eurus?

Maybe because pirates can control the wind, through their ship and are also free. Perhaps wanting to control the east wind to be precise. LOLL

Last one to Sherlock really was his SISSY

January 12, 2017 6:32 am  #147

Just a point on science:  you cannot control the wind.
You can harness it and use it to your benefit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2017 6:08 pm  #148

True!

And pirates certainly knew how to do that.

January 13, 2017 8:44 am  #149

John knows how a therapist should work and did not noticed anything wrong so I suppose that Eurus had her own experience with therapist. But it is not surprising , we expect something dark in her past what propaply required therapist later. 

January 13, 2017 5:09 pm  #150

Or she's just a good actress and done her research!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 5:27 pm  #151

Lis wrote:

I think something traumatic might have happened when Sherlock was a child but Sherlock and Eurus seem about the same age and when Mycroft mentions that Sherlock is a security concern and says "the fact that I'm his brother changes absolutely nothing, it didn't the last time and I assure you it won't with Sherlock" makes it sound like whatever Eurus did she did as an adult. I can't imagine a child being much of a security concern and although there is an age gap between Sherlock and Mycroft it's not big enough that if something happened whilst Sherlock was a young child Mycroft would have enough power to deal with it.

Maybe she harmed Redbeard or did worse things as a child and was sent to a psychiatric hospital or something similar because of it and that is the reason why Sherlock does not remember her. Later as an adult she escaped/ was released and given a chance to build a normal life and did something "security risk"-worthy (like working together with Moriarty and setting him on Sherlock) and Mycroft had to intervene. Maybe he did not tell Sherlock because he saw how Sherlock reacted to Moriarty and did not want to make it worse by also introducing him to his forgotten criminal sister...

"It takes very special qualities to devote one's life to problems with no attainable solutions and to poking around in dead people's garbage: Words like 'masochistic', 'nosy,' and 'completely batty' spring to mind."
Paul Bahn. 1989. Bluff Your Way in Archaeology.

January 13, 2017 6:47 pm  #152

Possibly, and I realise that this is a of course a work of fantasy/fiction, but I wouldn't expect even an antisocial child who harmed a dog, but who has loving parents, etc. to be locked away in a psychiatric institution and not spoken of.   I imagine that there would be treatment at home if possible.  If she'd murdered someone, then yes, she could have been tried as a child and put away.   Then would probably have been given a fake identity on release from prison as an adult.   The puzzle would still be why and how it was covered up.  Even if there was a reason for Sherlock not remembering, it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't come across the information that a sibling had murdered somebody.  

However, for all the talk of memory, we don't know that Sherlock doesn't remember her.   It might be that he does, but has kept quiet about it, and didn't expect her to be released from prison - or even if he knew she was out, just didn't recognise the adult Eurus.

January 13, 2017 6:53 pm  #153

I tend to think he has forgotten about her. Either he was too young/traumatised or both.

January 14, 2017 12:51 pm  #154

Liberty wrote:

Possibly, and I realise that this is a of course a work of fantasy/fiction, but I wouldn't expect even an antisocial child who harmed a dog, but who has loving parents, etc. to be locked away in a psychiatric institution and not spoken of.   I imagine that there would be treatment at home if possible.  If she'd murdered someone, then yes, she could have been tried as a child and put away.   Then would probably have been given a fake identity on release from prison as an adult.   The puzzle would still be why and how it was covered up.  Even if there was a reason for Sherlock not remembering, it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't come across the information that a sibling had murdered somebody.  

I can't think of an event that would have been so catastrophic it would lead to Eurus effectively being erased from the family (or at least never mentioned if they all do remember her) but as you say Liberty, as this is TV and not real life, some artistic licence may have been taken.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 14, 2017 2:58 pm  #155

I could work if she tried to murder Sherlock. I have no idea why but parents would remove her from the family to protect other children. Sherlock loved her so it was so shocking for him that his mind had to protect and forget. If she did it out of jealousy and was punished it the jealousy might even increase, whe would blame Sherlock for everything what happened and want to kill him now.
Mycroft is protecting Sherlock but he sees that what happens are consequencies so do not blame him just is overprotective and Sherlock does not appeciate it which Mycroft kind of does not deserve.

I love their brotherly conversations, they are like real siblings. But sometimes I feel sorry for Mycroft , it is like he knows something but cannot tell and defend himself otherwise he would harm his brother who he loves. 

Last edited by Preceja (January 14, 2017 3:05 pm)

January 14, 2017 3:11 pm  #156

True.  I'm just wondering why she would be so jealous of an older brother.  It happens, of course, but it has always sounded as if Sherlock was largely brought up by Mycroft, so wasn't taking all his mother's attention (maybe Eurus wanted Mycroft's attention?).  But then there's Mrs Hudson's comment about Sherlock's mother having a lot to answer for, which suggests he was overindulged. 

It's going to be interesting.  I hope it isn't too fantastical.  But I have faith!

January 14, 2017 3:37 pm  #157

Is he really older then Eurus? He is in reality but it does not mean anything. 

I hope it will be a good and beliavable story. They had many years to prepare it and had to have it on mind from the very beginning .

January 14, 2017 3:40 pm  #158

I think so.
Yet I do tend to think they have been hastened to a much quicker ending than they were intending.

January 14, 2017 3:43 pm  #159

They could be twins!  No, we don't know, but Eurus does look younger than Sherlock in TLD.

January 14, 2017 3:45 pm  #160

I find it hard to tell...but maybe.

Board footera