BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2017 12:58 am  #21

Re: Eurus - the east wind

NicoleCollard wrote:

A stupid thing to say, maybe, but the first time I heard about the East Wind in 'Sherlock' I immediately remembered a Mary Poppins song:

"Winds in the east, mist coming in, / Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin. / Can't put my finger on what lies in store, / But I fear what's to happen all happened before."

It fits 'Sherlock' story, though I know it isn't related. 

Funny.  I've watched Mary Poppins more than once, and that's one song I don't remember being sung on that Disney movie.

January 12, 2017 6:53 am  #22

Me neither, but I'm guessing it's right near the end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2017 10:00 am  #23

I think it is right before Mary Poppins arrives. Her friend (what was his name? Bert?) sings it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2017 5:42 pm  #24

Ah, well done you and that would make more sens!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2017 6:26 pm  #25

Schmiezi wrote:

I think it is right before Mary Poppins arrives. Her friend (what was his name? Bert?) sings it.

Yes, exactly. He (Bert) sings it right at the beginning. Wind changes and suddenly it's coming from the East. I always liked that song, it's very short, but introduces Mary Poppins. And it came to my mind when Sherlock talked about it. Must be a recurrent metaphore in English culture. Maybe. 

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 12, 2017 6:26 pm)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2017 6:29 pm  #26

Oh, OK.  I think I understand now.  Yeah.

Board footera