BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2016 11:33 am  #121

Re: Martin's press appearances generally

What a bizarre event...bloomin' football.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2016 11:35 am  #122

Maybe he likes football?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 20, 2016 11:37 am  #123

Apparently so...I gather some do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 22, 2016 12:31 pm  #124

I just read that one. That makes me genuinly sad for him. It must have been horrible to play happy family on screen in the middle of a breakup. I wish him all the best.

Last edited by Vhanja (December 22, 2016 12:32 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 3:14 pm  #125

Sad, but maybe this is part of the reason we never felt any lovey-dovey chemistry between John and Mary. Both Martin and Amanda are good enough actors to hide their personal emotions; but we, dear Forum members, are exceptionally astute at in-depth observations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 22, 2016 3:21 pm  #126

I saw a lot of lovey-dovey chemistry in S3. But, yes, this will indeed affect how I view S4. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 3:43 pm  #127

I'm apparently the only one who can't see the article.
But from what you're saying I feel really sad for them.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 22, 2016 4:04 pm  #128

ewige wrote:

I'm apparently the only one who can't see the article.
But from what you're saying I feel really sad for them.

I can't read it too but That's because i don't want to suscribe. :-p

I am not sure if I am sorry for them because there are many cases where people were happier after breaking up. I hope they will both make their peace with the situation and find a good way to deal with the act they are parents as well as a couple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 22, 2016 4:11 pm  #129

If you GOOGLE Martin Freeman and click for news, the article is the first to pop up.  I was able to read it without being asked to subscribe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 22, 2016 4:17 pm  #130

I also found this:

http://sherlocksbestfriend-john.tumblr.com/post/154809453386/johns-tea-ppq-1

I hope it's true what they've both been saying, and that they are doing fine.

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 4:57 pm  #131

I'm actually glad I got to read the full version of the FT article. The Russian translation was shorter and focused heavily on the break-up. I got a terrible feeling from it. You know, like Martin talking about that and only that while usually being quite reticent about his private life - it sounded like an emotional disaster despite a pretty faithful translation.
The full text put everything in context. It seems they will be fine. He seems to play a big part in his children's lives, and if they are on good terms with Amanda, maybe not too much will change apart from his living place.

-----

December 23, 2016 7:19 pm  #132

Bit depressive, this news. They were a cute pair while it lasted - this only shows that even outwardly happy relationship can look very different from inside and that perfect relationships don´t exist, indeed. 

I hope they are both happy now.

On the other hand, this is why it´s such a bad idea to cast real life pairs as a fictional pairs. Something happens to that family and it will inevitably colour the perception of the show itself. The scenes of the wedding from TSOT, entire TAB, the scenes with the baby in S4 - it all feels so incredibly weird now....

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 12, 2017 11:47 am  #133

January 12, 2017 12:05 pm  #134

Very good interview, thanks for sharing. Always a joy to read/watch more of Martin.

Team Hudders!

January 12, 2017 12:30 pm  #135

Thank you so much for posting the interview! I like how they see it - "Sherlock can only ever be a passion project".This is the secret behind its popularity.

-----

January 12, 2017 1:12 pm  #136

Martin is a lot more complex than the casual public give him credit for.

Not trying to gossip, but wanted to make one comment.  The scene at the end of TLD when John confesses to "Mary" was doubly painful to me, knowing that Martin and Amanda broke up shortly before filming.  Can you imagine what it was like for Martin to film that scene?  He had to be drawing on fresh emotions.   I would say to Martin the same thing Sherlock said to John, you just might be human.  But you are a good man.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 12, 2017 1:26 pm  #137

I know. It colored the perception of all their scenes and made them even more poignant.

There is a quote from Martin about filming the confession scene but unfortunately I can see only the translation and no source, so I guarantee for nothing. But Martin has apparently said that he felt restless and irritated while filming it and then Ben lead him into a quiet corner and basically said the same words that Sherlock says to John: take a deep breath, it's OK.

Last edited by ewige (January 12, 2017 1:36 pm)

-----

January 12, 2017 2:19 pm  #138

ewige wrote:

I know. It colored the perception of all their scenes and made them even more poignant.

There is a quote from Martin about filming the confession scene but unfortunately I can see only the translation and no source, so I guarantee for nothing. But Martin has apparently said that he felt restless and irritated while filming it and then Ben lead him into a quiet corner and basically said the same words that Sherlock says to John: take a deep breath, it's OK.

He said he became very anxious about the scene, and Ben helped him calm down. Very sweet, I think.

There was also a radio interview where Martin said something about having to be careful - when shooting the Mary death scene - about delving too deep into the thought of Amanda dying, as he said that would probably kill him too. 

Team Hudders!

January 12, 2017 2:27 pm  #139

It's hard to comprehend that people who obviously care so deeply for each other decide to part ways nonetheless...

-----

January 12, 2017 3:07 pm  #140

ewige wrote:

It's hard to comprehend that people who obviously care so deeply for each other decide to part ways nonetheless...

Yes, but it does happen all the time.  You can love someone with all your heart but still have to face the fact that you can't live together.  I am glad that they seem to be so amicable about it.  They still love and respect each other and still have their kids best interests at heart.  It is sad, but I think they will be ok.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera