BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 2:32 pm  #101

Re: TLD Headscratchers

Naavy wrote:

My major headscratcher is Greg's complete lack of reaction, when John told him about Sherlock, shooting Magnussenn. It was supposed to be very top secret information. Greg should be startled, or even shocked. Why wasn't he?

That puzzled me too.
Lestrade was introduced as a very proper, principled cop at first.
And now he turns a blind eye to the crimes, because his friends have perpetrated them? (The same goes to Mary´s public confession during TST that she shot Sherlock - no reaction from him there).

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2017 2:36 pm  #102

Naavy wrote:

My major headscratcher is Greg's complete lack of reaction, when John told him about Sherlock, shooting Magnussenn. It was supposed to be very top secret information. Greg should be startled, or even shocked. Why wasn't he?

Was it? In fact the most secret information was supposed to be their correction of video. It  does not makes sense too much  so probably there were some people who knew what happened (there were some more at the end of HLV with Mycroft , Smallwood and the other) also close friends were told why had been Sherlock arrested and sent to exile. For the rest, the video was doctored to prove Sherlock's inocence.

Nakahara - we did not see his face at the exact moment and then she was dead . Poker face at that situation is the best choice.
I wonder if Mycroft knew .

Last edited by Preceja (January 11, 2017 2:39 pm)

January 11, 2017 2:36 pm  #103

We have this mysterious scene here:

What is the meaning of that weird gesture Euros is making at the third pic? She is not wearing a watch - is she looking at the ring on her finger, or what?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2017 3:09 pm  #104

Nakahara, you are incredibly perceptive! I tried to magnify and sharpen the screenshot, but the size of the picture is simply to small, and too many details are missing. My impression is, that ring has some kind of indent, or fracture, in the widest part - most probably the decorative one.

EDIT:

Naavy wrote:

nakahara wrote:

That puzzled me too.
Lestrade was introduced as a very proper, principled cop at first.
And now he turns a blind eye to the crimes, because his friends have perpetrated them? (The same goes to Mary´s public confession during TST that she shot Sherlock - no reaction from him there).

Preceja wrote:

Was it? In fact the most secret information was supposed to be their correction of video. It  does not makes sense too much  so probably there were some people who knew what happened (there were some more at the end of HLV with Mycroft , Smallwood and the other) also close friends were told why had been Sherlock arrested and sent to exile. For the rest, the video was doctored to prove Sherlock's inocence.

Nakahara - we did not see his face at the exact moment and then she was dead . Poker face at that situation is the best choice.
I wonder if Mycroft knew .

I can imagine Greg and Mycrotf making poker faces during Mary's confession - she was dying (and all this scene looked for me - still looks so - completely absurdly, so let it be).

But I cannot imagine John, coming home from Appledore, and calling every his and Sherlock's friend, to tell them, how Sherlock killed CAM (and perhaps why he did it, too...?). Surely John kept the secret, and who else could it out? 
But Greg especially had not to be informed, since, exactly like Nakahara wrote "Lestrade was introduced as a very proper, principled cop at first". He would never let Sherlock on the crime scene again, if he knew - or at least I was sure, he would not.

Last edited by Naavy (January 11, 2017 3:53 pm)

January 11, 2017 8:38 pm  #105

Also, how could Greg be told, without being told why Sherlock shot Magnussen?  Magnussen was just a newspaper magnate, not even a criminal.   But would Sherlock/John have given away Mary's secret?

January 11, 2017 9:05 pm  #106

There was no need to speak about Mary. But Lestrade knows something. 
Could it have been explained like self-defence or defence of John? But id does not correspond to te way John speaks with Lestrade.

Could for Lestrade  as principled cop work that Sherlock was not accused of any crime ie. not guilty ? 

January 11, 2017 9:24 pm  #107

But supposedly what drives Sherlock to such extreme measures, is because Mary's life is threatened.    I don't know if he'd have done it to protect Lord Smallwood (or revenge for his death).   So would Lestrade just accept that Sherlock had a good reason for killing Magnussen, without knowing the truth?  

Maybe Lestrade really is part of their inner circle and does know what's going on - who Mary is/was, why Magnussen was shot, etc.

January 11, 2017 9:30 pm  #108

nakahara wrote:

What is the meaning of that weird gesture Euros is making at the third pic? She is not wearing a watch - is she looking at the ring on her finger, or what?

I noticed throughout the scenes with Euros acting as Faith there were a few close ups of her hands as well, not sure what they mean?

Last edited by Lis (January 11, 2017 10:06 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 11, 2017 9:34 pm  #109

Hmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2017 9:35 pm  #110

nakahara wrote:

I don't know what she was doing in the gif you're asking about, but very observant of you, indeed.

I removed the gifs you added to your comment and left just this one, where Eurus talks about the difference between looking away and looking to, because there's a moment in the last scene where she does exactly the same. I don't know how to post gifs, but I'm sure you all remember it. She's talking to John again, they're still seated, and right before taking off her glasses, she looks to her left. Is she seeing anyone in her mind?

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 11, 2017 9:36 pm)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 11, 2017 10:01 pm  #111

It is odd, maybe that's how she knows the difference between looking to and away, she's seen things/people too.

On a separate note, whose house do we see in the window deduction scene, the house through the window. Sherlock says that she lives in a narrow street but the house through the window doesn't seem to be in a narrow street and Sherlock looks confused for a brief moment when it appears.

January 11, 2017 10:24 pm  #112

nakahara wrote:

I mentioned earlier somewhere that when Eurus, acting as Faith, is talking to Sherlock in 221B about how her dad had said one word changed her whole world it could be that she was actually talking about herself as Eurus and that is the scene where we get a close ups of her hands, when she's standing by the window and then when sitting down, so this coupled with the weird movement she makes me think even more that it's something from her actual past. 

Last edited by Lis (January 11, 2017 10:25 pm)

January 11, 2017 10:25 pm  #113

Lis wrote:

On a separate note, whose house do we see in the window deduction scene, the house through the window. Sherlock says that she lives in a narrow street but the house through the window doesn't seem to be in a narrow street and Sherlock looks confused for a brief moment when it appears.

It was a narrow backyard or something. Same effect as a narrow street, apparently, but more isolated?

Last edited by ewige (January 11, 2017 10:25 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 12, 2017 11:13 am  #114

Liberty wrote:

Maybe Lestrade really is part of their inner circle and does know what's going on - who Mary is/was, why Magnussen was shot, etc.

Wouldn´t that made him extremely hypocritical, even corrupt?
What moral right would he have to catch other criminals, if he turned a blind eye on his friends bumping people off?

Last edited by nakahara (January 12, 2017 11:14 am)

January 12, 2017 11:17 am  #115

My headscratchers:

- why is Mrs. Hudson not aware of Sherlock´s plan? Didn´t she watch "Miss Me" CD with him?

- does Mary´s advice work at all? She mentioned that John would be brought back to Sherlock if he sees him miserable (in hell) and if he would be forced to save his life. But what we get is the very opposite? John does not rush to Sherlock´s rescue, in fact, he is disgusted with him when he sees him in drugged up, unkept state?

January 12, 2017 11:20 am  #116

About Mrs Hudson... Mary didn't say which baddie... does she know about Culverton? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 12, 2017 11:21 am  #117

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

What moral right would he have to catch other criminals, if he turned a blind eye on his friends bumping people off?

While Lestrade is unsually seen as "the good copper", he is not exactly playing according to the rules. He did nothing when Sherlock told him that he was behind the CIA agents injuries in ASIB. Actually, there were only ever two police officers who actually did what police officers are supposed to do: follow protocol. And that are Donovan and (formerly) Anderson. So I would not be too surprised for Lestrade to turn a blind eye again when it comes to Sherlock.

Last edited by Lola Red (January 12, 2017 11:27 am)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 12, 2017 11:26 am  #118

nakahara wrote:

My headscratchers:

- why is Mrs. Hudson not aware of Sherlock´s plan? Didn´t she watch "Miss Me" CD with him?

I think she was aware of at least part of the plan. And did her part in it. When she saw Sherlock deteriorate, she alerted John (although Sherlock expected more comfortable means of transportation)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 12, 2017 12:42 pm  #119

Lola Red wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

While Lestrade is unsually seen as "the good copper", he is not exactly playing according to the rules. He did nothing when Sherlock told him that he was behind the CIA agents injuries in ASIB. Actually, there were only ever two police officers who actually did what police officers are supposed to do: follow protocol. And that are Donovan and (formerly) Anderson. So I would not be too surprised for Lestrade to turn a blind eye again when it comes to Sherlock.

And officially, Sherlock did not break any rule, he is not accused of anything, ie. everything was according to law. We cannot expect any good cop to go against law, can we ?  There was no need to infom him about Mary. 

January 12, 2017 12:48 pm  #120

nakahara wrote:

My headscratchers:

- does Mary´s advice work at all? She mentioned that John would be brought back to Sherlock if he sees him miserable (in hell) and if he would be forced to save his life. But what we get is the very opposite? John does not rush to Sherlock´s rescue, in fact, he is disgusted with him when he sees him in drugged up, unkept state?

It works at the point John realizes Sherlock is really in danger - after DVD. 

Before there is no imminent danger - Sherlock is destroying himself with drugs but how can you help with it  to anybody who refuses help? And then he is in hospital, cop in front of the door, he has the best care,  seems to be saved at least for a while. You cannot expect secret door and murdering maniac in hospital even if you meet there such weird people like CS.

Board footera