BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2017 7:57 pm  #7401

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Found it:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2017 7:59 pm  #7402

Vhanja wrote:

I think it was Amanda in particular, in an interview with her and Sue, that used the words "groundbreaking" and "making TV history".

Ah, I see. So it's Amanda, not Gatiss or Moffat who have said that. That makes more sense. As much as I love Amanda, I think she can be prone to being a bit hyperbolic when it comes to Sherlock! I have seen that clip - and I interpreted Sue's baffled response as her thinking: "Really? What do you mean? I mean, yes, it's good, but..."

The way some folks go on on tumblr about those two phrases, I'd assumed it was Mofftiss who had said it. I'd be far less inclined to take the quotes seriously if it were only Amanda. After the last episode, and given how hard they all worked to conceal the Euros reveal, it could very well mean that Amanda was talking about the rug pull of successfully concealing one actor under three different disguises and not having an audience realise until the right moment. Although that would be an impressive achievement, I wouldn't exactly call that TV history. Still, in the excitement of that moment, I can imagine Amanda describing it thus: "if we pull it off", which also makes sense of Sue's reaction.

Last edited by Shani (January 10, 2017 8:02 pm)

January 10, 2017 8:50 pm  #7403

I think Ben also said something to the effect "if we can pull it off". And Moftiss too. But the amount of PR was really crazy so I won't be able to find anything specific, I'm afraid.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2017 9:00 pm  #7404

ewige wrote:

I think Ben also said something to the effect "if we can pull it off". And Moftiss too. But the amount of PR was really crazy so I won't be able to find anything specific, I'm afraid.

Well, like I say, that to me seems to fit with the reveal of Euros more than it does Johnlock. With Setlock and paparazzi following the crew around, it's a major achievement that nobody seems to have realised that Sian Brooke was appearing in 3 different roles. I don't see how "If we can pull it off" could relate to Johnlock. They would just film it and there - it's done. Canon. What would there be to "pull off"? (No pun intended!!)

January 10, 2017 9:01 pm  #7405

Yep, personally I think that particular ship is in dry dock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 9:08 pm  #7406

But then they could have meant Mary's post-humous involvement too.
I'm still holding my breath for something monumental in the last ep. Tricks with the cast are nice but hardly constitute TV history.

-----

January 10, 2017 9:10 pm  #7407

I certainly think it will be a momentous final episode...one way or another?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 9:16 pm  #7408

besleybean wrote:

I certainly think it will be a momentous final episode...one way or another?

I think TLD was already so good that I'm afraid it can't get better anymore
But Moftiss have never disappointed me before.

-----

January 10, 2017 9:17 pm  #7409

Well said.

January 10, 2017 9:24 pm  #7410

ewige wrote:

But then they could have meant Mary's post-humous involvement too.
I'm still holding my breath for something monumental in the last ep. Tricks with the cast are nice but hardly constitute TV history.

I suppose the only way we'll know is by asking Amanda as she seems to be the only cast or crew member who actually said it.

January 10, 2017 9:26 pm  #7411

Will be quicker just to watch on Sunday and decide for ourselves!

January 10, 2017 9:31 pm  #7412

besleybean wrote:

Will be quicker just to watch on Sunday and decide for ourselves!

Yeah. I was like... sifting thru all the interviews again? Meh... Time will tell.

-----

January 10, 2017 10:18 pm  #7413

I have my own thoughts about what it will be, but I'm preparing for disappointment that it won't be as dramatic as I'm imagining!

I don't think ghost Mary is it - I'm sure we were talking earlier about how Mark had already done that in Randall and Hopkirk (deceased)!

January 10, 2017 10:22 pm  #7414

Oh yes. We'll definitely know by Sunday whether Johnlock will become canon.

However, I think it's only fair that if TJLCers are going to feel betrayed that they'd been promised "groundbreaking" "TV history" that we make sure that it is something Mofftiss actually said!

January 10, 2017 10:27 pm  #7415

They did say something like "the story we've been telling from the beginning".  Which does actually rule a few things out, I suppose.   Whatever it is, has to trace back to ASIP.  I can see why people assume JL, because that's when they met!  But there's still quite a lot that it could be. 

January 11, 2017 6:50 am  #7416

(Did Mark write Randall and Hopkirk? The renewed one of course, I had no idea!)
Oh and here's another one:
So all non-Johnlockers write too emotionally.
Whereas the Johnlockers are just the embodiment of pure rationality and reason?
I do see how Johnlockers see things, I just don't think what they are seeing is there!

Last edited by besleybean (January 11, 2017 6:50 am)

January 11, 2017 7:52 am  #7417

(Yes, I'm sure he did!)
It's funny, when I first came here the two hot areas for debate were Mary and Johnlock.   Mary has been resolved, and Johnlock will be in four days!   It's going to be great to finally have answers, but in a way I'll really miss discussing it with all you lovely people! 

January 11, 2017 9:57 am  #7418

besleybean wrote:

So all non-Johnlockers write too emotionally.

If you are referring to my post in the other thread, BB, then I feel the need to clarify it. I'm enjoying the discussion at the moment because we are trading arguments here. I know too well that both sides can show lacking debate skills but this is why I'm exactly here and not shouting my throat hoarse elsewhere. I hope you feel the same.

Liberty,
I'm pretty sure there will be enough to discuss even after the last ep aires, seeing how differently we interpret the show. For me, all signs indicate a JL ending but I don't think we'll see anything definite anyway.

-----

January 11, 2017 7:44 pm  #7419

It will never cease to amaze me how differently we can interpret the same show.
And for me, the 'b' is never silent..

January 11, 2017 8:13 pm  #7420

Unless we get an actual kiss (or  more), I don't think this particular debate will ever end 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

Board footera