BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2017 1:15 pm  #161

Re: First Impressions...

SharonH58 wrote:

I agree that the sister (which I think is a stupid idea) had been working with Moriarty but I don't think she actually shot John. 

I think there might be a parallel to what Eurus/the therapist stated during the therapy session with John: She immediatly seemed to notice that John was looking at a hallucination (of Mary) standing behind her (the therapist) and was not just avoiding to look her in the eyes. I think during that last scene of the TLD, Eurus doesn't look at John before shooting, but at a hallucination standing on his left behind/beside him. Hence the "he makes a funny face", not "you make a funny face". Then she aims the gun at that hallucination, not at John.

January 10, 2017 1:17 pm  #162

You could well be right, Kae Em! 

January 10, 2017 1:22 pm  #163

Interesting interpretation. Might very well be. That change of pronoun was rather strange...

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 10, 2017 5:02 pm  #164

Here's hoping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 5:07 pm  #165

The last scene is obsessing me. Impossible for John to avoid a bullet fired from that close!
But we know he does . Intrigued to see how they get out of this.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 10, 2017 5:37 pm  #166

It's a goodie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 6:18 pm  #167

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhJ_vzXGjI

found this short song video  

January 11, 2017 3:52 am  #168

You can't imagine how happy I am that I found this forum.

TLD was comparable to The scandal in Belgravia in emotional plane for me. Hope the third one won't left me broken for three years. 

January 11, 2017 4:59 am  #169

Hi, All!  I'm late to Sherlock, late to the Forum, and super sad that there are only 3 episodes for us to chew up!  Being in the Mountain Time zone of the U.S., I stayed away, not wanting spoilers, and by the time I got here this thread was pages long! So, I haven't read through all the comments.  I'm sure that at this point I won't come up with anything that hasn't been mentioned, but I'm going CRAZY HERE with nobody to talk to about this episode!!!  In no special order:

My thought is that the "Mutual Friend" of Euros and C.S. was obviously Moriarty.  A supreme victory for him, albeit posthumously, would be for Sherlock to be murdered by the most horrible person imaginable. We know that Moriarty was a broker of criminal deals. This was his supreme deal: putting C.S. in touch with the insane Holmes sister who has been hidden away for these many years.  Luring C.S. with the promise of the best kill ever.  Laying out a blueprint, and providing the perfect partner. Moriarty was willing to put a gun in his mouth because he knew what was in store for Sherlock.

C.S. literally owned that hospital and everyone in it, patients and staff alike. He clearly could do whatever he wanted, wherever he wanted to do it, and he had no fear of discovery or betrayal.  People feared for their jobs. We're supposed to know that he's a brilliant man; he knew the names of his employees at a glance.  If we discover in the next episode that he also owned a mental health facility, or that there was a mental health wing of his hospital, we wouldn't be surprised.  It would have been easy to instruct his employees to mislead Mycroft when he called the facility to ascertain that Sherrinford was "secure".

Euros' comment at the end of TLD "It has a funny look on it's face. I think I'll put a hole in it." is clearly to inform us that she is crazy/nuts/psychotic.  She added Moriarty's "Miss Me?" to the note, and gloated that Sherlock missed it.

Moftiss are not ones for throwing in empty bits.  Every image, every spoken word is precious to their story, whether it's the episode only, or a longer arc.  The pretty lady on the bus wasn't a throwaway character  just to tempt Watson, and heighten his anguish with guilt in that episode alone when Mary died. She was much more important, although we weren't informed yet. Similarly, Sherlock's childhood memory of children running by the sea (I think I hear more than one child's voice?) with Redbeard isn't a meaningless moment.  Something awful must have happened.  That's why he flashed back to it more than once.

I'm going to guess that Euros Sherrinford (...needs another middle name here...) Holmes was, like the girl in the play "The Bad Seed", well, a bad seed.  With no sympathy or empathy.  A true Psychopath. Curious about "What will little Sherley (Ha, John!  See!  "Sherlock" IS a girl's name!) do if he sees his dog drown???" she could have done something heartless to cause the death of Redbeard.  He wasn't mercifully "put down" as we were led to believe; he was killed.  Sherlock witnessed it.  Nearly died trying to prevent it.  Probably this wasn't her only twisted act.  I imagine that Mycroft was the oldest, Euros was the middle, and Sherlock the baby.  Mycroft was old enough to be instrumental in having his dangerous sister locked away, hence the statement that he isn't swayed by family ties.  Even with her locked away somewhere, Mycroft sadistically tormented his younger brother with the threat of her, the "East Wind", which "Is coming to get you".

So this memory of an awful event has been locked away by Sherlock.  He is, in truth, the only normal Holmes child.  He thinks of himself as a "high functioning sociopath" because he's been made to supress all emotion, all vulnerability, by the abuse of his sister and brother.  He was actually a brilliant, sensitive child, who suffered at the hands of his siblings, with parents blissfully unaware. The real story of the TV show is Sherlock Holmes discovering his lost humanity. 

And he'll figure it all out in the next episode.  Confront his brother.  Maybe kill him? Or hit him really really hard?  And run off with John to the Bahamas.

Through the entire episode my greatest discomfort was the prescient demonstration that a wealthy person in a position of power, with no conscience or sense or honor or morality is an almost unstoppable danger. As an American, it made me sad and fearful. 

Last edited by Tilly11 (January 11, 2017 5:04 am)

January 11, 2017 6:58 am  #170

Yes you have it worse.
But it's not a rose garden this side of the pond, either.

January 11, 2017 9:38 am  #171

Loved reading your interpretation, Tilly11.  Welcome!
Yes, new American regime, with Sherlock ending soon might
make  for some dark times ahead.  We must vigilent.

I like your idea of Sherlock as the only "normal" sibling.
It's a cross he's had to bear.

How did Eurus/Elizabeth pull off being invisible on their Chips adventure?

BTW, the U.S.Masterpiece Mystery broadcast as usual is again
frustrating.  Small edits, and audio blanking out selected
words, annoying.. ('tits' /'bullocks'/'bullsh#t'/'you
C#ck'/etc).  Also, they delay the closing music and end
credits, and display the Masterpiece logo.   Grrr.  Glad
there is also the online BBC Player option to watch
these episodes.

I like the red highlighted letters in the credits though.. spelling
out "Once more,unto the breach", and previous episode's
credits selling out "Six Napoleans".  Love that stuff. 😃

January 11, 2017 11:19 am  #172

My post is very delayed, so, just to make it said: I love TLD, every second of it.  I may be my favorite "Sherlock's" episode ever. I will add some observations about it - later.

Tilly11, your interpretation is very interesting. I also believe, Sherlock was very sensitive child, but some moment he started to suppress his emotions. In this season we were many times hinted about a sorrow/loss (/tragedy?) in his past, and I am sure, it is somehow connected. However I also believe, Mycroft really cares about Sherlock. Whatever happened, most probably Mycroft (eight years older) was this time not home, but in some far, but good, school. Maybe too busy with his own life, to notice the change in Sherlock soon enough? Could loss of beloved dog cause such strong reaction? I believe, yes, but there can be also much more.

There is one more detail about Eurus, everybody seems to miss: we have only Eurus'es word, that she is Sherlock's and Mycroft's sister! Surely, she is very inteligent, and she can to masquerade as good, as Sherlock, but there were villains, able to do it too. She can be delusional, or simply lie, too.

Last edited by Naavy (January 11, 2017 11:21 am)

January 11, 2017 11:28 am  #173

Naavy wrote:

There is one more detail about Eurus, everybody seems to miss: we have only Eurus'es word, that she is Sherlock's and Mycroft's sister! Surely, she is very inteligent, and she can to masquerade as good, as Sherlock, but there were villains, able to do it too. She can be delusional, or simply lie, too.

Very good point I think.

Still, there probably must be some connection between her and Mycroft, since it´s Mycroft who spoke of "an East Wind" to the young Sherlock. Or did she only adopt that name too, knowing about Mycroft´s tale?

Last edited by nakahara (January 11, 2017 11:30 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2017 11:37 am  #174

The whole episode reminded me very much of HLV. Sherlock was taking drugs and hanging out with Billy , John wasn't around , Sherlock is making a plan to go after the worst man he's ever crossed (  Magnussen)  but then finds a woman he thought he knew was really someone totally different , goes into a MP trippy shock thing in the morgue, gets hospitalised  , threatened with death in recovery , Lestrade and John and Hudson all concerned about him , but John's the one in danger from his someone new.
That sentence turned into a paragraph  but obviously yes.A re- run of HLV?
Hmmm.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 11, 2017 11:38 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 11, 2017 12:26 pm  #175

nakahara wrote:

Naavy wrote:

Very good point I think.

Still, there probably must be some connection between her and Mycroft, since it´s Mycroft who spoke of "an East Wind" to the young Sherlock. Or did she only adopt that name too, knowing about Mycroft´s tale?

This is the most tricky question: how many people really know about "East Wind" Mycroft's stories? Every possibility looks equally real, at least for now. And is also not impossible, that Eurus really exists, but the person, impersonating her, is someone else. Or Eurus was Sherlock's sister, but died... 
I am nor sure myself. I just wanted to point the possibility: Eurus may be not real Eurus.

Last edited by Naavy (January 11, 2017 12:37 pm)

January 11, 2017 12:36 pm  #176

Yes, I would rather take her for Moriarty´s sister....

On the other hand, when she was disguised as Faith, something "clicked" between her and Sherlock. They had a good time together. Did he feel like he is speaking with his sister subconsciously?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2017 12:46 pm  #177

Since he was high, and she was acting, it's hard to guess. ...Another riddle for the audience? ;)

January 11, 2017 7:05 pm  #178

A sad story arc as I see it.   Beginning of the end?

The original The Dying Detective was about using people as decoys/bait.
In The Lying Detective, Sherlock himself is the decoy,  Eurus is also a decoy.
But, as I always remind myself when trying to figure out where the narrative is
going:  Sherlock lies.  And here the lines between the real and the imagined
and the deceptive are really blurred.

A theme throughout the whole series - John Watson's business is to save lives.
He returns to that purpose here, but only when baited.  He hasn't even fully
returned to care for Rosie. 

There is a real broken-ness in this episode, and a strange sadness that informs
all of the characters, in spite of all the cleverness. 

Even the text by Irene Adler can be seen as just a recurring ongoing sadness/futility
of purpose at this point.

I don't see much hope.   I see a sweetness in the John/Sherlock iconic friendship, as
ever. And they do what they are good at:  (John is a life-saver, Sherlock is a deceptive and
clever crime-solver), but all lives end.

January 11, 2017 7:30 pm  #179

I just laughed out loud. 

I forgot about writing 'Miss Me' on the board (I think I did it for when my friend was coming to watch TLD with me) and I only remembered it when I hung my red dress there to check a thing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 11, 2017 8:57 pm  #180

I noticed today that Culverton used Moriarty's words "off we (you) pop" when he was smothering Sherlock.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

Board footera