BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 10:44 pm  #41

Re: Mark Gatiss' answer to an undiscerning critic | The Guardian

Yes, that point from the original Guardian article was entirely incorrect. Sherlock is certainly not a physically weak nerd....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 5, 2017 6:30 am  #42

Yes sorry, I thought I was seeing some confusion here:  Mark was arguing that Holmes wast the original action figure, all he and Steven have done is update the action element.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2017 7:57 am  #43

I do not mind seeing the action element, or even it becoming a bit Bond-style. What I do mind is action for the sake of it. I have recently seen Spectre, and maybe that is where a lot of my problems with TST stem from. Because I was so annoyed for having just watched several chase/escape scenes that went on for a full ten minutes, but had done their job for the plot after the first two. I might still be a bit over sensitive in that regard. I have the same criticism for the pool scene: it literally ends with them in the very same positions as they were in before they went into the pool, only now they are wet. As their state of dryness did not alter the plot I would have rather have them cut out all the water-fighting and get the plot moving again. So if anything, I found the fighting to be filler, and I just prefer domestic filler if it is needed to give the audience time to catch their breath along the way.

But I have to say, I found Mark's response entertaining. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 5, 2017 9:48 am  #44

I suppose some of the point of that fight scene was carrying on the water motif.  And a bit of humour, and a bit of build-up before Sherlock smashes the bust, which was a great moment! 

January 5, 2017 11:32 am  #45

I think the Guardian had a small point about Mary however Marks response was just brilliant. Bravo@him.
The comments on the article are concerning though.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 5, 2017 11:32 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 11:44 am  #46

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I think the Guardian had a small point about Mary however Marks response was just brilliant. Bravo@him.

But isn't it always like that - the least polite and most angry people are the loudest ones? *shrugs*

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 12:06 pm  #47

I think it's probably easy to knock Sherlock because it has become so huge, with international stars.    I have a feeling it would have been difficult to get it right for everyone.  If they hadn't done Bond/action, then there would have been comments saying there wasn't enough action, etc.

January 5, 2017 12:26 pm  #48

Sadly, there are people you can never satisfy... Too much action and it becomes too Bond-like, no action and it's too slow-paced...

January 5, 2017 12:36 pm  #49

Well, I think it's the format change. Nobody expects a three-part finale from Sherlock (if it is a finale), apart from fans who have been following the interviews.

-----

January 5, 2017 1:00 pm  #50

Yes agree with all.  Just want to be sure we get a Season 5. 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 1:24 pm  #51

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I don´t think that the comments are that unusual, really. Many people commenting newspapers articles act jaded and cynical, no matter the issue they commnet, so no big deal here. Plus, some comments praise the story and actors, so they are not all so dismissive.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 5, 2017 1:51 pm  #52

Lola Red wrote:

I have the same criticism for the pool scene: it literally ends with them in the very same positions as they were in before they went into the pool, only now they are wet. 

Speaking as one who spends a lot of time in the shallow end of the pool, I have no problem with a wet Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2017 2:09 pm  #53

tonnaree wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

I have the same criticism for the pool scene: it literally ends with them in the very same positions as they were in before they went into the pool, only now they are wet. 

Speaking as one who spends a lot of time in the shallow end of the pool, I have no problem with a wet Sherlock.

I too think wet Sherlock will soon need his own appreciation thread *nods*
Especially because he's about to be joined by wet Jawn.

-----

January 8, 2017 12:05 am  #54

January 8, 2017 12:23 am  #55

It's a witty response! However, I doubt the battle will take literal months: I really hope the Grand Plan of Moftiss will become apparent by the end of the season in a little more than one week.

-----

January 8, 2017 8:52 am  #56

Witty ! I like it ! 

Will Mark answer back in this battle ? 

January 8, 2017 8:55 am  #57

Wouldn't that look too much lick bickering shildren if Mark answered?
I think he'll let the show speak for itself.
I hope the show will speak for itself and explain the strange choices its creators have made in TST.

-----

January 8, 2017 8:57 am  #58

I'm not really understanding why people think the team have made strange choices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2017 9:00 am  #59

When I say "strange choices", I mean half the headscratchers from the TST section and some stuff from the other threads. You have seen it was met with incredulity here even if you don't feel the same. It's good that the new director tweeted "there are no coincidences on Sherlock".

-----

January 8, 2017 9:03 am  #60

Ah right and thank you, on the other thread I hadn't actually realised it was the director who had tweeted.

Board footera