BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 10:37 pm  #21

Re: The change of atmosphere

Water and especially watery scenes with an underwater  feel are often used as subconscious thoughts , hallucinations , dreams or memories no? As they were in TAB. This episode might be similar.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2017 10:39 pm  #22

Those are very interesting points, Three Garridebs, thanks for sharing!

I must agree with you on music. To me, it almost felt non-existent during an episode... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 11:19 pm  #23

Ewige, here's a definition of high frame rate from Wikipedia: 

"In motion picture technology—either film or video—high frame rate (HFR) refers to higher frame rates than typical prior practice. The frame rate for motion picture film cameras was typically 24 frames per second (fps) with multiple flashes on each frame during projection to prevent flicker."

I'm not sure if the episode really was shot with a high frame rate, but the best example I can point to are the Hobbit movies that came out a few years ago.  One was shot with a high frame rate and it made the scene extremely sharp and clear.  Too clear in my opinion.  It plays with your eyes (at least it does with mine) so that you can't quite forget that you're watching a show or movie.  Your eye is busy picking up and noting all the details in the background.

Last edited by Three Garridebs (January 4, 2017 11:20 pm)

January 4, 2017 11:48 pm  #24

Three Garridebs wrote:

Ewige, here's a definition of high frame rate from Wikipedia: 

"In motion picture technology—either film or video—high frame rate (HFR) refers to higher frame rates than typical prior practice. The frame rate for motion picture film cameras was typically 24 frames per second (fps) with multiple flashes on each frame during projection to prevent flicker."

I'm not sure if the episode really was shot with a high frame rate, but the best example I can point to are the Hobbit movies that came out a few years ago.  One was shot with a high frame rate and it made the scene extremely sharp and clear.  Too clear in my opinion.  It plays with your eyes (at least it does with mine) so that you can't quite forget that you're watching a show or movie.  Your eye is busy picking up and noting all the details in the background.

Wow, very cool! I wasn't sure how you can notice the high frame rate since the eye is supposedly only good for 24 frames per minute. Interesting! Thanks for the explanation!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 1:03 am  #25

Something important I think we need to remember.
(Although nothing is absolutely verified I feel strongly about this.)

Yes, so much about this episode feels "off."  But I believe it's SUPPOSE to feel off.  That the creators intended to rattle us and make us question what we were seeing.  It's "off" on purpose!   I think this is a very important thing to keep in mind when analyzing the content.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2017 6:32 am  #26

Three Garridebs, thank you for your long and detailed post. You are right, people who know how to do it decided to do it differently this time.

The main question here is, why?

I for one are sure that we will see things in the next two episodes that will make us re-think many aspects of TST. The unrealistic feeling, the unusual camera angles, the lack of telling music might prepare us to do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2017 6:45 am  #27

All I see is it getting bleaker...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2017 7:50 am  #28

besleybean wrote:

All I see is it getting bleaker...

But you did notice the things Three Garridebs mentioned, didn't you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2017 8:12 am  #29

Very interesting analysis. I wonder how much of the visual differences was intentional, and how much was due to the particular style of the new director. Although, of cause the story-telling details would be Mark's. And I really did not like the colouring (?) of it. Everyone seemed to look orange. (Or is there something wrong with my screen?) However the music was very noticeable different. I cannot remember one instance of "The game is on", which I just love, and there would have been plenty of opportunities for it. I did love the music in the graveyard scene between Sherlock and Mary, was that the same as in the Leinster Gardens scene? Felt very foreboding. But yes, overall. It had a different feel to it. Let's see what the other episodes bring us.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 5, 2017 9:45 am  #30

They were definitely more orange/oranger!  And of course they all had different hairstyles (Sherlock not so much, but still a little different).

I actually really liked the music in this.  I agree it's different, and I don't think it has been very popular, but at several points I was thinking "I love this music"! 

January 5, 2017 12:24 pm  #31

tonnaree wrote:

Something important I think we need to remember.
(Although nothing is absolutely verified I feel strongly about this.)

Yes, so much about this episode feels "off."  But I believe it's SUPPOSE to feel off.  That the creators intended to rattle us and make us question what we were seeing.  It's "off" on purpose!   I think this is a very important thing to keep in mind when analyzing the content.

I think you are right. These cinematic techniques were used precisely so that we will be unsettled by the atmosphere of Baker Street right away, IMHO. It´s very deliberate on director´s part.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera