BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 7:50 pm  #21

Re: Mark Gatiss' answer to an undiscerning critic | The Guardian

It was a bit James Bond.
I guess the jury is out on whether that is a bad or good thing.
As Mark so eloquently points out, Holmes was the action hero of his day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 8:07 pm  #22

ewige wrote:

I know that, but I'm also a fan.
I think critics write their reviews based on watching the episode once. I loved Mark's witty response too, but I still feel the criticism was justified.

They did not just write it after having watched it once, they also wrote it without having seen the other episodes. Benedict stated expressly that you need to know all three, that they are closely intertwined and that the reward at the end will be enormous. These are no stand-alone episodes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2017 8:13 pm  #23

Sensible Benedict.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 8:22 pm  #24

But that's how tv reviews work. Nobody wants to read a review about TST three weeks after it first aired on tv. At least nobody who's not a fan. People are watching it on sunday and wanna read about it on monday or tuesday.
Of course the author could have mentioned that there's more to come and some things might make more sense once you've seen all three. Nevertheless, I totally agree with the James Bond comparison... and I'm pretty sure that the scenes which for me felt like James Bond from the start will still feel like James Bond in two weeks.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 4, 2017 8:23 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2017 8:24 pm  #25

I agree on that.
Mark is a huge Bond fan.

January 4, 2017 8:30 pm  #26

*waving from the shallow end of the pool*
I thought the fight was sexy.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 4, 2017 8:32 pm  #27

I could hardly watch it...I am so petrified of water and the torture seasons were just brutal.

January 4, 2017 8:57 pm  #28

Love Mark's response!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 4, 2017 9:07 pm  #29

tonnaree wrote:

*waving from the shallow end of the pool*
I thought the fight was sexy.  

Well, I'm not averse to seeing two goodlooking guys having a bit of a tussle .  I just liked the way it became funny at the end - I was laughing out loud at the attack by jacuzzi and whatever that other water feature was! 

I did feel there were James Bond allusions, but didn't mind them.   I was pretty sure this was going to be an episode with Bond-style elements.  I wondered if Mary might actually be the Bond character, which she kind of was for a while. 

January 4, 2017 9:19 pm  #30

Oddly fitting:

JOHN: Give the people what they want.
SHERLOCK: No, never do that. People are stupid.
MARY: Uh, some people.
(Sherlock leans over to look into the camera.)
SHERLOCK: All people are stupid. ... Most people.

(http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/86813.html)

Last edited by ewige (January 4, 2017 9:20 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2017 9:21 pm  #31

Yes.

January 4, 2017 9:47 pm  #32

Ehm....

Sorry, but Bond is the most famous fictional spy not just in Britain, but all around the world - when MG introduced the plot centered around espionage into Sherlock story, how come he was not aware of a risk that this story will be likened to Bond by critics... the comparison just offers itself to them on its own?

Also, casual audience is still an audience. If both them and dedicated fans were confused by an episode - and yet the author of the story did not intend to cause this effect - would it be better to reflect how to engage the audience better next time rather than to write poems to the newspapers?

That aside, Mark´s response was witty. But two can play that game - and the journalists won´t be affected by the poem anyway, just the opposite:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jan/04/is-sherlock-worse-for-too-much-action-mark-gatiss-sends-his-verse-reaction#comments

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 9:50 pm  #33

What is it about comments sections?
How are these people in their real lives?!

January 4, 2017 9:57 pm  #34

Nakahara: The Skyfall parallels are interesting and I noticed when I watched the film at the cinema. As far as I know, however, TRF aired before Skyfall. And Bond faked his death and fell from a great height.
I know that the pic is from TEH but we first got Sherlock on the roof in TRF. There are also parallels between Sherlock and Spectre. I think there has been some counter-inspiration going on. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2017 10:02 pm  #35

nakahara wrote:

Also, casual audience is still an audience. If both them and dedicated fans were confused by an episode - and yet the author of the story did not intend to cause this effect - would it be better to reflect how to engage the audience better next time rather than to write poems to the newspapers?

Yeah, that...

On the other hand, Mark, Steven, AA and I think even Benedict commented to the effect that they were not sure they could pull "it" off. Maybe this is the reason why. The idea is too grand and difficult to present in three 90 minutes chunks.

-----

January 4, 2017 10:03 pm  #36

SusiGo wrote:

Nakahara: The Skyfall parallels are interesting and I noticed when I watched the film at the cinema. As far as I know, however, TRF aired before Skyfall. And Bond faked his death and fell from a great height.
I know that the pic is from TEH but we first got Sherlock on the roof in TRF. There are also parallels between Sherlock and Spectre. I think there has been some counter-inspiration going on. 

I would not be surprised if this was a case of counter-inspiration indeed.
But then why deny that certain Bond influence is here?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 10:05 pm  #37

ewige wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Yeah, that...

On the other hand, Mark, Steven, AA and I think even Benedict commented to the effect that they were not sure they could pull "it" off. Maybe this is the reason why. The idea is too grand and difficult to present in three 90 minutes chunks.

Yes, the episode had a lot of content - it would suffice to fill an entire season, in fact.....

January 4, 2017 10:07 pm  #38

nakahara wrote:

Yes, the episode had a lot of content - it would suffice to fill an entire season, in fact.....

...And then people would moan in comments that the show became too slowly-paced!

-----

January 4, 2017 10:13 pm  #39

Of course. 

January 4, 2017 10:23 pm  #40

nakahara wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I would not be surprised if this was a case of counter-inspiration indeed.
But then why deny that certain Bond influence is here?

I think Mark did not want to deny so much that there is Bond influence but that SH is not a man of action. That it would be against Canon to have him fight baddies and become very physical. 

Board footera