BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 1:04 pm  #1

Mary's life so far

What do we know about Mary's life? I don't know too much I'm afraid, but thete are surely clever people out thete who wrote a time line all ready.

She did the job that went wrong six years ago - about when ASIP took place.

When was she involved with David?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 4, 2017 1:13 pm  #2

Re: Mary's life so far

I wonder what really was on the A.G.R.A. stick. Only her past life as a merc? Would it shock John that much that Mary was forced to point out: "Because you won’t love me when you’ve finished."?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 4, 2017 1:19 pm  #3

I'm glad you posted this, because I'm quite curious and would have liked more answers in TST (although I appreciate that it may have meant the episode would have been taken over with extraneous stuff). 

It seems like Mary was operating under her real name (suprisingly), until AGRA were betrayed.  In HLV Sherlock says she took the name of a dead child five years ago, and in TST she escaped six years ago, so I imagine the new identity was one of the first things she did.

I'm still a bit confused about the nursing training - she may have trained as a nurse as Rosamund, then faked nursing registration as Mary (perhaps possible, if she can hack security).  Or she may have faked other qualifications and trained as a nurse after Tbilisi, but I don't think that gives her time to qualify, get experience, get a practice nurse job, meet John, etc.   And why did she end up with the friend of the brother of the guy who stopped AGRA?

Before Tbilisi - it's very vague!  We know she was with the CIA, so was she living in America for a while?  She does sound "English" in Tbilisi and it's part of the plot.  I have hypothesised that like ACD's Mary Morstan, she was born abroad, but brought up in England. 

January 4, 2017 1:27 pm  #4

As David knew her as Mary, they must have been involved somewhere in the last four (edit:was is 5?)years before Sherlock discovered her secret. We know that Mary and John did not know each other very long before he proposed (or tried to). Do we have a time line for the third season ? That could give us a better time interval.

For the stick, yes, that still does not quite make sense. If the last thing on there was six years old, and they were working for the government on a rescue mission at that point. What was on there that had her so worried?

Last edited by Lola Red (January 4, 2017 1:28 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 1:27 pm  #5

I think there really is everything on the stick : names, aliases, false papers, list and details of missions... Everything that could make all A.G.R.A. fall if of one of them was compromised.

I'm not sure if Mary knows that it's Mycroft that put an end to A.G.R.A. After all, Mycroft is practically a myth outside of a selected few. I don't think people would like a man with so much power to govern them if they knew. I don't know if I'm clear in what I am saying... 

January 4, 2017 1:39 pm  #6

I agree Mycroft is probably a very well hidden secret, otherwise someone would have offered AGRA and the like a very large sum a long time ago...

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 2:59 pm  #7

Maybe her "you wont love me anymore" comment refers to the guess that agra was involved in the swimming pool stand off? But then the time line is off. In fact, agra cant be accountable for amything thats to do with Moriarty as far as we know him. Maybe only Mary but her own freelancing wouldnt be on the stick. Mysterious...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2017 3:02 pm  #8

Do we even know her name yet. Rosamund ? Yet the passport she picked up said Gabrielle ?
Twins? 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2017 3:03 pm  #9

Well, it clears that up anyway - I always wondered if Mary had been sent to target John in some way, and if that's what she was worried about him finding out.  But at least on the surface, it looks as if she had gone straight since Tbilisi.   She hadn't been involved with Moriarty, or if she had, that's not what she was worried about on the memory stick. 

January 4, 2017 4:14 pm  #10

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Do we even know her name yet. Rosamund ? Yet the passport she picked up said Gabrielle ?
Twins?

I though fake passport for fake personality, seemed to make sense if she had to disappear again...

January 4, 2017 4:49 pm  #11

The fake passport from Norway has a 2014 issue date. If we assume that the show takes place roughly in the same time as RL, she would have been married during this time. She had also kept her weapon and her combat dress. And the flashdrive. To me this does not look as if she had honestly quit her former life. 

Btw, I have no idea why she should have kept the drive. I think it would have been cleverer to destroy it, especially if she assumed that it was the only that remained. Why should anyone keep things that are so incriminating? She thought she was the only survivor, so no other AGRA member could betray her. Or did she know she was not the only one?

And I really wonder about her name. So she took the name Mary Morstan although she was called Rosamund Mary anyway? And we never learn her trust last name either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2017 5:01 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

The fake passport from Norway has a 2014 issue date. If we assume that the show takes place roughly in the same time as RL, she would have been married during this time. She had also kept her weapon and her combat dress. And the flashdrive. To me this does not look as if she had honestly quit her former life. 

She goes to meet Sherlock at the cementery. She doesn´t know that AJ is after her, Sherlock only reveals it to her during the conversation. And yet she has this paper dosed in chlorophorm with her, to use it on Sherlock if neccessary...

...yes, it doesn´t look like she has left her old life behind.....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 6:44 pm  #13

She said something like "that was quite a text you sent".  I think she knows what's up, and has planned to escape.  It looks like Sherlock knew that she knew too, so had already set up the memory stick with the tracer. 

It's not clear whether she was still working (she could have been, in secret), but it looks like she had a full-time identity of Mary Morstan/Watson, for the last few years.  And was aware that she could have been targeted during the time, so maybe had held on to her contacts, and was able to procure spy stuff easily. 

Did she say how long she'd been with AGRA?  They felt like a family, so I presume a few years.  Tbilisi would have been 2009, is that right?  And the name change just after.  Mary Morstan was born in 1972, but we don't know for sure about Rosamund.

January 4, 2017 6:47 pm  #14

The Agra hard drive seems a bit like the one from TGG Morarty threw away (as did John ) .
Surely with finger prints or blood / dna and photo ID Mycroft could get that information anywhere.  It seems Mycroft knew a fair deal about Agra missions anyway.
It's like they are telling the same story again and again..

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2017 10:30 pm  #15

SusiGo wrote:

Mark said in an interview that at this moment the show is playing in the past because HLV was playing out at the then-present time, they have only moved on half a yeas or something like that (trying to guess Rosie's age as an indicator), so they have some catching-up to do. 2014 could be about right. 

January 4, 2017 10:36 pm  #16

Liberty wrote:

She said something like "that was quite a text you sent".  I think she knows what's up, and has planned to escape.  It looks like Sherlock knew that she knew too, so had already set up the memory stick with the tracer. 

I was wondering about that, but you are probably right. I think they both have stopped underestimating each other.

Board footera