BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 7:51 pm  #1

Mycroft

As I have realised that I do not seem to be the only one currently obsessed with the minor government official, I thought we could discuss his actions here. We got much more Mycroft than usually in this episode. From exasperated big brother to the Iceman, we have seen almost the full range.
What did you think?
What stuck you as odd?
What did you enjoy?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 2, 2017 7:57 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft

Mycroft's fridge is my no.1 mystery right now. Or to put it better, the room it's in. And the elephant take-away menu sticking to it.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 2, 2017 8:02 pm  #3

I agree with ewige. I can't make heads nor tails out of his "kitchen". A dark and sterile room with just a big fridge? The tiles looked more like a posh office bathroom or something, it didn't look like a home - or even a proper kitchen.

Then, of course, there is the call to Sherrinford. Who is this, and why did Mycroft call him/her?

I am more excited to see what will happen in future episodes. More specifcally, what leads the ever patient and kind Mrs Hudson to tell him to get out, and even call him a "reptile". That can't be good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 8:08 pm  #4

The whole kitchen scene had a weird feeling. What happened there? It looks like a ruin. The tiles on the walls seem to be missing, there is nothing that says kitchen there except an empty fridge. Also Mycroft, who just established himself as wikipedia, relies on post-its? Or has someone put that there, knowing he would order food that evening. That is not even starting to speculate about the phone call.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 2, 2017 8:19 pm  #5

I agree with all you say. Weird.

"Put me through to Sherrinford." Could still be a house or an organisation or a code word - or a person. And Mycroft is willing to wait so he must phone someone who is in some way superior to him. 

And the remarks about Sherlock using up his favours - does Mycroft feel his time is running out? Or Sherlocks? And what will happen now that John does not want look after Sherlock anymore?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2017 8:19 pm  #6

I think there are clues there.  Reigate might be a canon reference - a case where there were missing parts of a message. Maybe the story isn't intentional.  But I think we are being given hints of what's to come.   And we still haven't worked out his notebook from TAB yet!

January 2, 2017 8:51 pm  #7

Yes, Mycroft's comment about Sherlock using up his favours peaked my interest, too. Did Sherlock once do something for Mycroft that would mean Mycroft is indebted to Sherlock? If yes, what might that be? Something to do with Redbeard?  And what will be the consequences when Sherlock's favours are up?

January 2, 2017 9:49 pm  #8

"Interesting fact: Mycroft actually quotes Wikipedia."

First comment: "Or Wikipedia quotes Mycroft."

-----

January 2, 2017 9:52 pm  #9

I also found the kitchen odd. I don't know whether he was at work or at home. It looked like it was in a bunker.

And the post-it note...what does 13 mean? Did the note say 13th or 1300 or something else? He looked at his watch before making the call, so was it a time reminder?

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2017 9:54 pm  #10

it looked like 13 TH to me, but maybe someone with a big TV could give us more insight?

January 2, 2017 9:58 pm  #11

It was definitely "13th".

-----

January 2, 2017 10:14 pm  #12

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 2, 2017 10:22 pm  #13

Thank you.  At first I thought it was a 00, but then when I looked again it looked like a "th," but it was still a bit hard to see.  My TV isn't that small, but it's not huge.  Yeah, that's really mind-boggling to me, what that number could mean.  13th of a month? 13th person? 13th something?

Clueing for looks.

January 3, 2017 8:21 am  #14

The fridge scene seemed 'off' to me like a lot of other things. 

The tiles looked like they were painted on, like a wallpaper? I saw that clearer last night watching it through Netflix. 

I have been wondering... is it a part of Mycroft's mindpalace? Maybe even connected to his shame or needs... or comfort? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2017 8:35 am  #15

I wanted to adress that as well and post a topic about it but I was preceded !
This scene is really bizarre ! First the room is near clinical in its decor. It reminds me of Mycroft's bunker-like office, so maybe in the same building ?
Next, Mycroft seems surprised to see the post-it stuck to the fridge, so I don't think he put it there, but he seems to understand immediately the meaning.
Now, 13th... As Mycroft looks at his pocket watch, it could be a date.
Sherrinford : we still don't know if it's a code or a name. One more mystery to unfold.

On another subject, I love that we saw more of Mycroft in TST, and several aspects of his personality. The Big Brother and his antics with Sherlock, the mysterious man with many cards up his sleeves and the British Government in all his splendour.

January 3, 2017 8:58 am  #16

It seems to be one of Mycroft's underground bunkers to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 4:12 pm  #17

A typical Mycroft 

----------

January 3, 2017 4:15 pm  #18

I have a bad feeling about all this. We are never given so much Mycroft. Why now? 

January 3, 2017 4:20 pm  #19

Dear Ivy, where did you find that wonderful picture of the post-it?

I see that 13th like a reminder to make a call.

The tiles are not missing nor damaged. It's another posh wallpaper. Someone at Tumblr worked it out on Sunday night already.

January 3, 2017 5:22 pm  #20

JP wrote:

Dear Ivy, where did you find that wonderful picture of the post-it?

I see that 13th like a reminder to make a call.

The tiles are not missing nor damaged. It's another posh wallpaper. Someone at Tumblr worked it out on Sunday night already.

On tumblr like every other pic/gif  there are a lot of screenshots there of every little scene. 

I still fear about him and then that "you're a reptile" comment from Mrs H that is still to come.

Last edited by Ivy (January 3, 2017 5:47 pm)

----------

Board footera