BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2017 10:34 pm  #41

Re: First impressons and discussions

Swanpride wrote:

Bus stop lady is easily the worst addition they ever did to the show, because of the way they portrayed her as "targeting" John...it takes too much responsibility away from him, as if he wasn't a guy who was getting around beforehand.

Plus, what kind of woman flirts with a guy who wears a wedding ring?

I don't see it like that. He was fully aware of what he was doing and what his responsibilities was - even to the point of trying to end it with her before it even started.

I kind of liked the addition. It added something new to John's character. Just like with Sherlock - not everything he did is something I can defend. Same with John - I can't defend being unfaithful with your wife. But I LOVE that they go to those places, it makes the characters SO much more interesting.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:34 pm  #42

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I'm maybe overly suspicious about bus-stop lady - why is she is targeting John? 

I'm suspicious of everyone right now. She's probably an agent of Moriarty. We all know John gets no luck with women. He has worse luck than Molly.

I could believe that, that this is what Moriarty is going to do next - something to do with John.  He's always Sherlock's weak spot. 

But I'm also wondering about the Moriarty/Mary connection which has if anything been reinforced in this episode ("Miss Me").

January 1, 2017 10:35 pm  #43

I can understand John's first reaction when Mary died, but I don't understand why he keeps blaming Sherlock afterwards.

​I mean, Mary once shot Sherlock and Sherlock shot Magnussen (knowing very well what would happen to him by doing so) to protect both John and Mary. He would have done anything to protect Mary. Surely, John knows that.

​But i'm sure he'll come back to his senses later. (I blamed a lot of people after my husband's suicide, including himself, and then I realised I was only blaming myself. I think John mostly feels guilty for having caressed the idea of cheating on Mary -- or actually cheated on her -- and it's easier to blame anyone but yourself...)

​What do you think of Mary's "Go to Hell, Sherlock!" at the end of the episode??

​Does she mean it in the literal or in the figurative sense?

​I can't see why she'd say such a thing to Sherlock after everything he's done for her, so I think she really means that to save John, Sherlock will have to go to "Hell" because it's gonna be a really dark case.

​Anyway, who would want John dead?

Mary's enemies who'd want to avenge themselves on her? Mary's dead so what's the point?

​People who wants to erase any track of Mary's existence? John practically knows nothing about her past so it would be quite pointless too...

​Also, it confuses me that Sherlock didn't anticipate Vivian Norbury's actions. When I saw her, I immediately thought "she must have a gun hidden in her bag". It buggers me that Sherlock was fooled so easily.

​Oh, I liked how Mycroft lectures Sherlock at the beginning (when he orders him to give him his phone)

I really loved Mycroft in that episode. But he's always been my fav character so it isn't a surprise.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 1, 2017 11:14 pm)

Just like old times...

January 1, 2017 10:35 pm  #44

However, Mary AGAIN not including John and running off without Sherlock told me that she would always be her own character. She would never trust either of them enough to include them, her past ran to deep. And even though I wished nothing but her leaving the show, I still cried like a baby when it happened.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:35 pm  #45

June wrote:

I'm new here but after this episode I just HAD to find a discussion Forum to talk about it.
I'm not sure if it was the fault of the leaking stream I was watching it on but the episode seemed weird somehow. I'll have to rewatch as I probably have missed some details and there were so many...anyway, mary's death didn't completely convince me, the repitition of the phrase "IF I'm dead..." and the resamblance to Sherlock's fake death...
Then the "visions" Sherlock seemed to be having...
All in all an episode full of suspense but lacking Sherlock and John.
Sorry for my bad englisch, it's even worse after this disturbing episode.

Hi and welcome!
The visions didn't sit right with me too. It looked like he had a previous experience with the Thatcher table. I already suspected the father a weird psychiatrist of sorts  :D

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 10:36 pm  #46

ewige wrote:

What kind of recurring dream do you think Sherlock has?

Well, my first thought was "Oh no, the whole episode has been a dream!". It's TAB all over again!  But I don't think it's that. 

January 1, 2017 10:37 pm  #47

SusiGo wrote:

No tears here. It all felt very surreal to me. Will have to watch it again. 

So just this: too much Mary. Not enough John. John is next to non-existent, no good scenes with Sherlock, no warmth between them. If I had to cry, then about this. 

My thoughts exactly.
Not even warmth between John and the baby. I didn't even understand his attraction to the flower power girl. This John was a strange one to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 1, 2017 10:38 pm  #48

I thought the first half of the episode was really confusing. And I missed Sherlock and John as a team. Then I thought it was too much about Mary. And then everything went to hell.

That basically sums up the episode for me.

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:38 pm  #49

Vhanja wrote:

I thought the first half of the episode was really confusing.

THAT.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 10:41 pm  #50

I need to watch the episode again before I can comment fully... firstly I'm in genuine shock. I'm still shaking, struggling to breathe and I'must still crying.

(And my best friends boyfriend was in the room messing around with stuff when I've already got trouble hearing... so yeah. I need to watch it again)

But I think I jumped quite a few spoilers and I was pretty shocked at Mary's end... I don't know what I had suspected... but yeah. That was tough.

I think what I'm mostly shaken up about is John... him basically cheating and him locking out Sherlock so firmly from his life so quickly.

And Sherringford. I heard that right did I? Ah. Is it a person. An organisation? A code? What?

I've missed quite a lot... so I will have to come back to the discussion tomorrow from home...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 1, 2017 10:41 pm  #51

Vhanja wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Bus stop lady is easily the worst addition they ever did to the show, because of the way they portrayed her as "targeting" John...it takes too much responsibility away from him, as if he wasn't a guy who was getting around beforehand.

I don't see it like that. He was fully aware of what he was doing and what his responsibilities was - even to the point of trying to end it with her before it even started.

I kind of liked the addition. It added something new to John's character. Just like with Sherlock - not everything he did is something I can defend. Same with John - I can't defend being unfaithful with your wife. But I LOVE that they go to those places, it makes the characters SO much more interesting.

I agree. It adds more depth to the characters. Makes them more fallable, flawed and...as a result, realistic.

What kind of a woman would flirt with a guy with a wedding ring? Actually, plenty of women would. Wedding rings mean nothing, affairs happen all the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2017 10:41 pm  #52

"Go to hell" to me is meant the bad way. Go to hell. I hate you. Something like this.
Nothing more. But I might be wrong, maybe we'll see later.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 1, 2017 10:42 pm  #53

Swanpride wrote:

People, men and women, flirt with married people all the time.  Some people honestly don't care.  I knew a woman years ago who only "dated" married men!  She said she liked the challenge.    I don't approve and I don't excuse, I'm just saying it's not an usual thing to happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2017 10:42 pm  #54

June wrote:

I'm new here but after this episode I just HAD to find a discussion Forum to talk about it.
I'm not sure if it was the fault of the leaking stream I was watching it on but the episode seemed weird somehow. I'll have to rewatch as I probably have missed some details and there were so many...anyway, mary's death didn't completely convince me, the repitition of the phrase "IF I'm dead..." and the resamblance to Sherlock's fake death...

Welcome to the forum! What a time to join us. Hope to see more of your posts here. We have lively and exciting debates and it's a very active place to discuss your favorite TV show!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2017 10:42 pm  #55

June wrote:

Welcome to the forum, June!   Your English is great!  I agree with you about the oddness at times - there were points when I was sure things weren't real, and then they seemed like they definitely were.  I think I have been thrown by too much mind palace in the past! 

January 1, 2017 10:43 pm  #56

The episode just feel a bit odd to me. What happened to the team Sherlock and John? They were non-existent here.

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:43 pm  #57

There were sometimes little things happening where I started to fear that it was Mind Palace all over, but I cannot remember what it was.
Anyway, I still cannot say I'm that sad about Mary's death because I just didn't like her that much, altough she was a very interesting character. But John mourning really gave me shivers.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

January 1, 2017 10:44 pm  #58

ewige wrote:

June wrote:

Hi and welcome!
The visions didn't sit right with me too. It looked like he had a previous experience with the Thatcher table. I already suspected the father a weird psychiatrist of sorts  :D

Thank you!
Yes, also the whole case seemed weird, if the bust had only been broken because AJ was searching for the stick, was it coincidence that the son died this strange way plus coincidentally beeing discovered by a car Crash?

January 1, 2017 10:46 pm  #59

tobeornot221b wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

No tears here. It all felt very surreal to me. Will have to watch it again. 

So just this: too much Mary. Not enough John. John is next to non-existent, no good scenes with Sherlock, no warmth between them. If I had to cry, then about this. 

My thoughts exactly.
Not even warmth between John and the baby. I didn't even understand his attraction to the flower power girl. This John was a strange one to me.

Thank you, exactly how I feel. U'm sorry, but this was nothing but an episode of Marywhitewashing for me. Think it over, we got everything lacking in HLV: Pretty styling to begin with, great friendship with Sherlock, Warstan, a good background, the true name, the sacrifice in dying, the sorry for the shooting...sorry, but is this still about Sherlock Holmes and John Watson? What else is there than to show Sherlock vowing and John angry?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 1, 2017 10:46 pm  #60

Some interesting choices, though.

I feel that usually before a great schism, they will show them closer than ever to make the contrast even bigger (Just like Snape went from sleazy to fluffly hair before his death). So I would expect to see more friendship and closeness between Sherlock and John before the fallout. 

But Moftiss didn't adhere to that trope. Interestingly enough.

Team Hudders!

Board footera