BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2017 10:20 pm  #21

Re: First impressons and discussions

I genuinely liked this episode from beginning to end. After the disappointment of Series 3, it was exactly what I needed. A bit of darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2017 10:21 pm  #22

So you mean there is an actual case? Like, with criminals involved? I thought it was just something more personal (help him get over it) and in the end romantic 

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 10:21 pm  #23

John has a weird relationship with Sherlock. He partly seem to put him on a pedastal where he is always right and should be more or less perfect, something he can never live up to. And then he partly sees him as this big man-child that needs help with social cues (which is partly true).

I just... I've always been able to defend John, always been able to see his side of things easily. But not here. John is a grown man, a soldier. He KNOWS that making "a wow" isn't a guarantee, not for anyone. Not even Sherlock Holmes. I don't get this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:23 pm  #24

Vhanja wrote:

In a way, I felt Mary played too big a part. Then again, I am fine with it seeing as she's dead now. I wanted that to happen, but darn, it was painful when it happened.

I agree with that.

But poor John. It's like TRF all over. So he was in a war, lost Sherlock, lost Mary... I start thinking he might just have had enough. That's one way I can understand his reaction towards Sherlock. Maybe Mary means nothing more than saving John from himself.

But I like how the focus shifts back on Sherlock and John now.

Oh, and can I say that Molly+ baby where adorable!  even jf the scene was sad

"It is what it is."

January 1, 2017 10:24 pm  #25

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I had a question - did it start just after Sherlock got off the plane?  And they said he was "clean"?  So TAB wasn't drug-induced?  Or was it meant to take place later?

I think they came directly from the plane and Sherlock said he was fine but acted really high.

Sherlock claimed he was clean but was acting totally hyper and off his face. It was pretty funny. He was clearly high on more than just a case.

Sherlock was high AF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2017 10:24 pm  #26

Oh, I liked that the sinister evil twin face that we'd been puzzling over for so long turned out to be Sherlock's "game face"! 

I'm maybe overly suspicious about bus-stop lady - why is she is targeting John? 

There's a couple of mentions of John's blog, even though they've closed it down.

I'm not sure if I really got the whole "shark" thing - I presume Norbury was supposed to be metaphorical shark.  I wonder if they're still building up to something. 

January 1, 2017 10:25 pm  #27

Yes, John was blogging! Why didn't we get to see his last blog?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:26 pm  #28

tonnaree wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

ewige wrote:

I think they came directly from the plane and Sherlock said he was fine but acted really high.

Sherlock claimed he was clean but was acting totally hyper and off his face. It was pretty funny. He was clearly high on more than just a case.

Sherlock was high AF.

But why would they lie about him being clean?  Maybe the results were faked.  Anyway, he's clearly in quite a different state of mind than he was on the plane ... so maybe he really can just do it all himself, without the drugs.  Maybe they were a red herring, although it will be strange if they aren't addressed at all, after the "list" and so on.   Maybe in TLD?

January 1, 2017 10:27 pm  #29

Liberty wrote:

I'm maybe overly suspicious about bus-stop lady - why is she is targeting John? 

I'm suspicious of everyone right now. She's probably an agent of Moriarty. We all know John gets no luck with women. He has worse luck than Molly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2017 10:28 pm  #30

No tears here. It all felt very surreal to me. Will have to watch it again. 

So just this: too much Mary. Not enough John. John is next to non-existent, no good scenes with Sherlock, no warmth between them. If I had to cry, then about this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 1, 2017 10:28 pm  #31

What kind of recurring dream do you think Sherlock has?

-----

January 1, 2017 10:28 pm  #32

The "Go to hell, Sherlock" was something I interpreted as "You have to go to the most darkest and dangerous path to save John, because of [something not mentioned to us yet]"

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:29 pm  #33

Oh, the little flashback to child Sherlock and Redbeard!  Mycroft is right about Sherlock these days - it's pretty much all sentiment. 

Nice little pun that Sherlock and the child were playing "Happy Families" and John and Mary's relationship crumbles. 

January 1, 2017 10:29 pm  #34

Oh, I'm still shaking. I must admit, I wasn't taken by Marys death so much because I thought it would happen in this series, but then again, I was shocked in the way it happened. For a while, I thought maybe she wouldn't die after all but John and her would be simply breaking up, but that was the moment I happened to forget the show's made by evil geniuses Moffat and Gatiss (silly me!).

What I loved was that there were actual clients coming to Baker street again and there was some sort of a case that wasn't personal, which I'm all happy about because otherwise I happen to forget sometimes that it's actually about a consulting detective. Sometimes one happens to see a man who's very smart but has some really troubled friends.
Mrs. Hudson was ever-so-lovely, I was happy to see Molly again and Lestrade (oh, why did Sherlock have to spoil it?! I want Greg - or whatever he's called - to be happy). But Mycroft - I really want to know what's going on there. Sherrinford?!!!

What I loved too was that when the pearl was mentioned I thought - ha, as having read that story, I perfectly well know where it is - but I really shouldn't try to be clever but just watch the show. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

January 1, 2017 10:30 pm  #35

Okay I'm just gonna drive straight in.
I learned my lesson after TAB, not to try and go through everybody else's posts and react to them, first!
At least this time I am not having to get home late from the cinema, that will happen after the third one!
Well I thought it was brilliant, upsetting, but really good.
I deduced that it wasn't Mary who was the traitor, but I didn't guess the right traitor...how could I?
Important things first:  actually, the things that I got wrong-
1.  I was wrong about Rosie dying.
2. I didn't guess that John's eyes would wander.

But I am absolutely delighted about all of the following:
I always knew that Mary genuinely loved John and wanted to make a fresh start...other than helping out Sherlock and then obviously intervening when she felt she had to.
I am so glad I was right that there was never anybody before John, yes she really was pregnant, yes Rosie is John's child and NO there is no other secret child.
I guess we all kind of knew Mary's past would catch up with her.
Interestingly with her death, I was kind of right with TWO of my predictions:
1.  She was kind of an accidental victim( tho that woman had wanted her dead), but just like I did state on here:  Mary completely exonerated herself by taking a bullet fro Sherlock. PLUS she properly apologised to Sherlock and even stated how much she genuinely cared for him.
So yes, I am also proud that I was correct in my interpretation that Sherlock and Mary had a really good relationship.
I am sorry we have lost Mary.  She was a great character and was so important to John personally and to his life.
Oh I suppose that was something else we had all kind of worked out: John's guilt(well maybe we didn't know about that bit)has turned into anger and Sherlock is in the firing line. I do think they will reunite.  But I think people might be pushing it, if they are hoping for some massive reconcilaition scene at the end of the series.
I do hope Mary's message to Sherlock helps reunite the boys.
What else did I like about the episode?:  the mention of Sherrinford.
Oh and I was rather glad that Lady B didn't turn out to be a baddie!
I will now look back at all of your comments to date.

EDITS:
1.  Okay I hope we now all realise the woman didn't aim at Mary.  She was trying to shoot Sherlock and Mary jumped in the way.
2. Yes, Sherlock with the psychiatrist was heartbreaking.
3. Sorry, for me Mary's story is complete.  The message at the end?  Just asking Sherlock to take care of John...that is the case. I am certain she does not mean she wants Sherlock to go to hell, only that he may need to, to protect John.
4. For me the drug question is still an open one...will they come back to this?
5. I see people really are thinking Sherlock provoked the woman, trying to be clever...well I suppose he did.  Was he playing for time? Did he think he could get to her, to break her? But yes, he seems to mark it as another of his great errors.
6. I genuinely do not understand peoples problem with S 3.  it was brilliant: well written, only this allowed me to make all of the correct predictions about Mary.  A woman who was trying to turn her life around for the man she loved. This is the only trope I ever saw.
7. Before the fall out, I genuinely think Sherlock and John were okay.  Of course there was only so much time for Sherlock in John's life: if you're married, with a new baby and having an affair... there is only so much time for you best friend.
8. Personally I do not think Mary planned to die, she simply knew it might well happen. I also think we need to give Mary the credit she is due, in her selfless act to save Sherlock.
9. Just a general comment: why are people surprised at mysteries and loose ends in a detective series?!
10.  And hell yes it was dark...and isn't this supposed to be the lightest of the three?!
11. Oh hell I do myself down, I forgot the biggest of all:  JUST as I have always maintained- The whole of the CAM arc was REAL.  Yes Sherlock did execute him, but of course big bro covered it up. I never really did go with the whole extended MP thing.
12.  I really don't think John and Mary's relationship was that bad you know.  They would have worked things out.  It was clear on Mary's death, how much they loved each other and wanted to stay together. Incidentally I never doubted Mary would die, it's canon. I always knew John loved this flawed woman, because maybe he knows how it is to be flawed?  Maybe we should trust his instincts.

Last edited by besleybean (January 1, 2017 11:19 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 1, 2017 10:30 pm  #36

SusiGo wrote:

No tears here. It all felt very surreal to me. Will have to watch it again. 

So just this: too much Mary. Not enough John. John is next to non-existent, no good scenes with Sherlock, no warmth between them. If I had to cry, then about this. 

I was shocked when Mary got shot altho I naturally recognized the flying bullet environment.
I really cried in the scenes with Molly and with Ella.

Last edited by ewige (January 1, 2017 10:30 pm)

-----

January 1, 2017 10:30 pm  #37

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

We all know John gets no luck with women. He has worse luck than Molly.

That's not quite true, though? In S1 and S2, he dated quite frequently. Even charmed Sarah to the point of ending a well-deserved talking-to into a date. 

Then again, I do agree that I don't trust anyone at this point.

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 10:32 pm  #38

Vhanja wrote:

The "Go to hell, Sherlock" was something I interpreted as "You have to go to the most darkest and dangerous path to save John, because of [something not mentioned to us yet]"

I just don't know ... it sounded really sinister to me.   Will have to watch again.  I think you're right that Mary knows/knew something we don't.   But I found it chilling, to be honest.  It did not sound like she was asking her beloved friend to look after her beloved husband, however dangerous.   And I'm not really anti-Mary.  I was rooting for her by the end. 

January 1, 2017 10:33 pm  #39

I'm new here but after this episode I just HAD to find a discussion Forum to talk about it.
I'm not sure if it was the fault of the leaking stream I was watching it on but the episode seemed weird somehow. I'll have to rewatch as I probably have missed some details and there were so many...anyway, mary's death didn't completely convince me, the repitition of the phrase "IF I'm dead..." and the resamblance to Sherlock's fake death...
Then the "visions" Sherlock seemed to be having...
All in all an episode full of suspense but lacking Sherlock and John.
Sorry for my bad englisch, it's even worse after this disturbing episode.

January 1, 2017 10:33 pm  #40

Swanpride wrote:

Bus stop lady is easily the worst addition they ever did to the show, because of the way they portrayed her as "targeting" John...it takes too much responsibility away from him, as if he wasn't a guy who was getting around beforehand.

Plus, what kind of woman flirts with a guy who wears a wedding ring?

Yeah, that was really weird. John totally flashed his ring at one point and it didn't seem to matter.

-----

Board footera