BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2017 2:48 pm  #1

Quick expectations-what do you want in this season?

a-To know what AGRA means ​b-Will Sherlock's mom find out who 'put a bullet in her boy'?c-Why does Mycroft wear a ring, if there is no 'goldfish' in sight?Speculate to your heart's content! PBS here in the states is running an all day Sherlock marathon leading up to the main feature tonight. Heaven.

Last edited by Meggie K (January 1, 2017 2:49 pm)

January 1, 2017 3:03 pm  #2

Re: Quick expectations-what do you want in this season?

Mary has been a great driving force behind dramatic developments so far.
Since she sort of needs to go to keep it a John and Sherlock show, I hope the writers found a way for her to go out with a bang and in the most meaningful way for the story.

Last edited by ewige (January 1, 2017 3:06 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 3:23 pm  #3

I am in total agreement with you! She's been as strong and vibrant a character as John and Sherlock and deserves a fitting send off.

January 1, 2017 3:52 pm  #4

I'm with you there.  However, since there is no way that John can raise a child as a single parent and continue solving crimes with Sherlock (yes, that can conceivably be managed in a book, but not on the Sherlock TV series), the baby will have to go, as well.

And with that said, here are some things I want to see in Season 4.  (Whether I actually will see them is, of course, another story! =))

First, that Mycroft and all the other main characters still be alive and well at Season 4's end (except for Mary and the baby, that is--canon requires that they go).

Second, that more of John's back story be revealed, since Sherlock's was in Season 3.

Third, since I'm a fan of John H/C, I think that since Sherlock was seriously injured and nearly died in Season 3, I think it should be John's turn to suffer in the same way in Season 4.

And last, that John move back to Baker Street after he loses his wife and daughter, as Dr. Watson did in canon.

With all that said, whether I will see anything I want to see in this new season remains to be seen.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 1, 2017 9:04 pm)

January 1, 2017 3:57 pm  #5

Shirtless John Watson chopping wood.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2017 4:06 pm  #6

kgreen20 wrote:

I'm with you there.  However, since there is no way that John can raise a child as a single parent and continue solving crimes with Sherlock (yes, that can conceivably be managed in a book, but not on the Sherlock TV series), the baby will have to go, as well.

I don't want both of them to simply die, that would be lazy writing...

While I'm not opposed to seeing shirtless John in mortal peril, I would really like to see a resolution of sorts in the very end. I've been so high strung the whole year, don't think I'd manage like that for the next years to come.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 4:40 pm  #7

Shirtless John Watson chopping wood at the Holmes cottage while Sherlock watches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2017 4:45 pm  #8

This sounds really mean, but I'd kind of like to see Sherlock's faith in John challenged.  John has had plenty of reason to doubt Sherlock in the past, but has been steadfast.  Sherlock hasn't had reason to doubt John in the same way - John has his faults, but he's pretty upfront.   But of course, I would like John to come through for Sherlock in the end, in a big way, and have it resolved by the end of the series. 

I would like somebody to be led astray be dark temptations of some sort.  It doesn't need to be sexual (although sexual would be fine!), but would involve them wrestling with their morality, and sense of self, and relationships with others and so on.   It doesn't need to be Sherlock, but I suppose would have to be a main character.  I just like this kind of story, and I think there's more than one character who could fit this.  I love internal struggles and secrets and going to the dark side, and that sort of thing. 

I'd like to know why Mary became an assassin - although it may have been as simple as being a spy, and extending the job description.  I want to know what her old identity was, if she has family, etc.   I really want to know what she meant by saying people like Magnussen need people like her to kill them.  Who were her targets?

I'm more than happy with the seeing the really emotional, "human" Sherlock - I love it!  But I'd also like to see him be super-clever, and regain some of his arrogance.  I want him to "win" in the end, and not in the way he did against Magnussen.   I'd kind of like Sherlock to get rid of a villain by using their own weapon against them, a bit like in The Speckled Band.  I thought he did that with Moriarty (using his mind games against him to deliberately talk him into suicide), but I've never been 100% sure. 

On the same theme, I'd like a villain who talks people into their death - I loved ASIP, but I was so disappointed that Jeff Hope got people to take the pills by threatening them with a gun.  I was so intrigued to find out what he had said to these people that would make them thing life wasn't worth living.  I suppose I'd like to see a villain using mind games without threats, just manipulation.    I'm holding out hope for Culverton Smith, but who knows?
Those are just a few!

January 1, 2017 5:18 pm  #9

Liberty wrote:

This sounds really mean, but I'd kind of like to see Sherlock's faith in John challenged.  John has had plenty of reason to doubt Sherlock in the past, but has been steadfast.  Sherlock hasn't had reason to doubt John in the same way - John has his faults, but he's pretty upfront.   But of course, I would like John to come through for Sherlock in the end, in a big way, and have it resolved by the end of the series.

I would like to see this and like you I would want it to be resolved at the end but I think it would definitely be interesting to see that John is capable of making mistakes too.

I don't think I have any expectations though really, I'm just excited to see where they take us with this series, it sure is going to be one hell of a ride!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 1, 2017 9:13 pm  #10

Liberty wrote:

On the same theme, I'd like a villain who talks people into their death - I loved ASIP, but I was so disappointed that Jeff Hope got people to take the pills by threatening them with a gun.  I was so intrigued to find out what he had said to these people that would make them thing life wasn't worth living.  I suppose I'd like to see a villain using mind games without threats, just manipulation.    I'm holding out hope for Culverton Smith, but who knows? 

Well, Jeff Hope's use of a weapon is canon--in A Study in Scarlet, Jefferson Hope forced his first victim to take 1 of the pills by holding a knife to his throat.  And he attempted to force his second victim in the same way, only that victim fought back instead, which resulted in his getting stabbed to death.  In the TV series, the modern-day Jefferson Hope used what turned out to be an authentic-looking fake gun instead of a knife.

January 1, 2017 11:42 pm  #11

Well, I hadn't read the story, and it was a bit of a disappointment.  He kept saying that he talked to people and then they killed themselves, and I was dying to know what he said!   But I suppose part of the point was that Sherlock was thinking the same.  It wasn't so much a clever way to kill people, but a clever way to lure Sherlock. 

January 2, 2017 9:56 am  #12

I got more than I wanted!
Somebody survived who I thought wouldn't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2017 8:46 pm  #13

Who was that?

January 6, 2017 8:47 pm  #14

Rosie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera