BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2016 12:23 pm  #201

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2016

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 28, 2016 5:50 pm  #202

Who Is Scarlett?

Thank you for the lovely read, gently. With all the darkness coming this was just what I needed. And I like Scarlett Holmes, I really do.
Favourite quote: " …hurts my non-existing heart …"

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2016 6:05 pm  #203

Who is Scarlett?

Gently...Thanks so much! This was just the tonic I needed today, I am sorry I didn't comment sooner.

(or at all on the other fics really, I won't get into it but suffice to say things have been happening with me and my family that has made things...difficult )

Especially for the short notice, this was wonderful. Kudos to you!  A part of me has hoped that if there is a mysterious third Holmes sibling, that it's a sister, so again - thank-you for doing this! 

-------------------------------------------------------

December 29, 2016 8:34 am  #204

You're welcome Silvermoon. I had fun doing it. It was written within three days at work interrupted by office work and boss and colleagues dropping in all the time. Under these circumstances I tried my best.

And thank you, Susi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 29, 2016 8:45 am  #205

The collection at AO3 is open, btw. I will place a link here later when I can use a computer. Links from my mobile don't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 29, 2016 6:07 pm  #206

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 31, 2016 11:48 am  #207

Heroes for Another Day

This was a very entertaining story. I loved the detailed description of how Sherlock tried to escape. And I liked how Mrs Hudson ended up being the "conductor of light" to John, figuring it out. And all of them felt very much in character.

Some funny details in this story - the pattern of names for Mycroft's lackeys and the little stab at Moftiss towards the end. Great stuff!

Thank you very much for a very enjoyable read. 

Last edited by Vhanja (December 31, 2016 11:56 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 31, 2016 11:53 am  #208

Who is Scarlett?

What a lovely little story. Great of you to do this on such short notice! You managed to put a lot into such a short story - a tad of jealousy, a bit of misunderstanding, a dollop of comedy - and a great amount of romance and fluff. Very well done!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 31, 2016 11:56 am  #209

Sorry for triple-posting, but let me also give a great thanks to mrshouse for the great fic you wrote for me. I loved it! :D

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 12:22 am  #210

Thanks everyone, for another great round of fics. Here are my reviews/comments:

Through A Glass, Darkly
I like the way this has so much action in Sherlock's mind palace. The methodical but disjointed way in which it's written perfectly resembles the way I imagine Sherlock thinks.
'there's the rub' - nice reference, made me smile.
Also loved the Great Mouse Detective reference explained in context.
I love the Johnlock AHHH, it warmed my heart.

Of Decisions and Dogs
I like the way it starts in Baker Street and then moves into a case. Reminds me of the way the cases were told in the canon.
Sherlock got a date omg!! I was waiting the whole time for Sherlock "dating" to be all for a case and that really he doesn't care about David at all. I was partially right, but the fact that he was dating David to try and get a reaction from John and make him jealous was better than I could have hoped for! Their first kiss was adorable and sweet, as was their first Christmas as a couple. John's gift to him was perfect, and I'm hoping to read about Sherlock's gift in a slightly more R Rated version of the fic!
Sherlock's relationship with Toby was adorable. Hoping to see some of that on screen in S4 tbh!

The Wealthy Bachelor
This was the one written for me. Sorry for giving you such an awkward prompt, lol. First of all, I really like the title. It's very BBC Sherlock in that it's taken from a canon title but adapted/altered.
John in 'soldier mode' - oh yes!
I like the way things build up slowly, with hints of the different cases.
Good job at modernising the adaptation! I like all the little details that remind me of the canon case.
Nice hints of Johnlock with Sherlock not wanting to remember John's wedding day. And the description of John watching him play the violin was just beautiful.
When John steals the baby is brilliant and his tearful reunion with Sherlock at Baker Street the perfect heartwarming ending that left me with tears in my eyes too! I'd be happy if this happened in the show tbh.
Well done and thank you.

Perfect
Starts with the two of them already being lovers - good enough for me!
It's nice to see an adventure set somewhere other than London. More exotic and exciting!
This reads really well, like a genuine ACD canon adventure. Great job on the characterisations and the style of Watson's narrative.
Love love the ending

MORE SOON!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 3, 2017 9:11 pm  #211

Blackbeard. Or how Sherlock stole Christmas
Love the little prequel set in Sherlock's past where he gets his heart broken - so sad!
I like the way it skips through the years.
2012 was particularly heartbreaking, but then it got a lot more cheerful and the Johnlocky bit on the final Christmas Eve was perfect.
Loved the idea of John giving him a puppy.

La Vita Nuova
Alcoholic John is pretty heartbreaking to read but also very believable.
Reading this after watching S4 E1 is even more believable and heartbreaking tbh, it fits so well with what actually happened, the beginning part at least!
I really hope the reunion in the actual series happens in a similar way to yours - reuniting for a case.
Your portrayal of John's anger and how he's directing it away from himself is so accurate it's scary! Are you secretly Steven Moffat?
John changed Sherlock's pants in his sleep!!
I genuinely thought Sherlock was faking sickness at first.
Chapter 5 made me cry.
The ending was perfect and I'd like to read more explicit versions on AO3 please.

Heroes For Another Day
Your characterisations were spot on!
I love the idea of John being covered in sick after a day at the surgery, and Sherlock using ridiculously expensive shampoo (and probably a ridiculously expensive conditioner to match!)
Beehives!
I laughed at the idea that the criminals had read Sherlock's studies in rope and wood, and therefore knew how best to secure him.
"...boltholes sounded suspiciously like the ploy a third-rate spy novel author would fall back on to sustain a cock-and-bull plot." Do I sense a jibe at S3? Hope so!
I like the way Mrs Hudson became involved as John's "assistant" briefly, with John taking the lead role as detective.
John's bad ass ordering around of Mycroft's men at the sewers.
Your reference to Moffat & Gatiss at the end was most amusing!

Who Is Scarlett?
Sherlock is written so accurately here, I love it.
And yayyy the kiss with the smashed egg was great
I liked the twist of "the other one" being a sister. Everyone always assumes there's a third Holmes brother but a sister would be great.
I know it's only a short fic but I like it and think it could be developed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 3, 2017 9:14 pm  #212

dioscureantwins wrote:

Hello SherlockHolmes,

thank you ever so much for my wonderful Santa gift. It truly made my day.

Thank you,

DT

Glad you enjoyed it! )

January 4, 2017 3:08 pm  #213

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

The Wealthy Bachelor
This was the one written for me. Sorry for giving you such an awkward prompt, lol. First of all, I really like the title. It's very BBC Sherlock in that it's taken from a canon title but adapted/altered.
John in 'soldier mode' - oh yes!
I like the way things build up slowly, with hints of the different cases.
Good job at modernising the adaptation! I like all the little details that remind me of the canon case.
Nice hints of Johnlock with Sherlock not wanting to remember John's wedding day. And the description of John watching him play the violin was just beautiful.
When John steals the baby is brilliant and his tearful reunion with Sherlock at Baker Street the perfect heartwarming ending that left me with tears in my eyes too! I'd be happy if this happened in the show tbh.
Well done and thank you.

You're welcome, Sherlock Holmes! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story I wrote for you.  And don't worry, your prompt was not awkward at all, it just seemed difficult at first, but after some thinking I knew what I could do and I'm glad you liked the result.

Last edited by Yitzock (January 4, 2017 3:10 pm)

Clueing for looks.

January 5, 2017 1:07 am  #214

Hello all!

I said it in other thread, but I`ll say it again here. At the suggestion of Schmiezi I posted the final story for this exchange; the one I wrote. 

(I only just got it back from my beta, which is why I`m only posting it now)

Sorry it took me so long nakahara, I hope you enjoy it 

I`ll be putting it on AO3 soon.

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (January 5, 2017 1:12 am)

January 5, 2017 4:58 am  #215

January 5, 2017 2:42 pm  #216

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Hello all!

I said it in other thread, but I`ll say it again here. At the suggestion of Schmiezi I posted the final story for this exchange; the one I wrote. 

(I only just got it back from my beta, which is why I`m only posting it now)

Sorry it took me so long nakahara, I hope you enjoy it 

I`ll be putting it on AO3 soon.

Whoa, thank you very much! What a wonderful gift! Not just a fic, but more like a book - and it´s awesomely well-written. I started to read it and I love it already. The slightly mysterious prologue is very engaging and then the first chapter depicting John´s plight pulls you right in - I love how it´s realistic and yet so full of new, fascinating details of your magical world... every description is rich, interesting, carrying the imagery of a real place or a person...

... the meeting with Molly and Henry and then suddenly the appearance of Sherlock - beautiful, very nicely placed scenes which make a real impact on the reader....

The story is nicely opening up, like a rich flower. I will continue reading and will be back with a review, ASAP. I can´t wait what surprises are there in store for us the readers as the story continues.... 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 12, 2017 3:03 pm  #217

I managed to read 11 chapters of "Everglow" thus far and I´m absolutely loving it!

I never predicted that twist concerning dying Sherlock locked in his mind. I thought that he will be revealed as a ghost or John´s hallucination. Kudos for writing that in such a surprising manner - when John woke in that bed bound to Sherlock, he was like "WTF" and so was I!

I adore that filosophy of Coniuncti Sumus!

The idea that John would enter Sherlock´s Mind Palace to make him snap out of it is ingenious and realised to a masterful level here. I was overwhelmed by your skillful description of John´s penetrating into MP and of various rooms in Sherlock´s MP and could not believe how perfectly you nailed the atmosphere of a lucid dream with constantly changing visions that John and Sherlock must overcome (and which John must use to understand Sherlock better). This must be one of the most fascinating and ambitious piece of fanfiction I have ever encountered. It almost remained me of Dante Alighieri´s "Divine Comedy" and its travel through Hell, Purgatory and Heaven.

I am incredibly thankful to you for dedicating this fic to me. I am looking forward to the last part of your beautiful epic!

Board footera