BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2012 9:47 pm  #21

Re: Classical music

Sammy wrote:

Oh, sometimes they use classical music in such creepy ways on movies, like really happy melodies while the murderer is duing some gross stuff, for example. ;)

Maybe something like using the ouverture to "La gazza ladra" whilst someone steals the Crown Jewels

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 20, 2012 7:22 am  #22

And I remember the scene in "Schindler's list" when the Jews in the camp are selected while the SS plays the song "Gute Nacht, Mutter" (Good night Mother) on a gramophone. It's no classical piece but the contrast is horrible.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 28, 2012 8:23 pm  #23

Irene Adler wrote:

Sammy wrote:

Oh, sometimes they use classical music in such creepy ways on movies, like really happy melodies while the murderer is duing some gross stuff, for example. ;)

Maybe something like using the ouverture to "La gazza ladra" whilst someone steals the Crown Jewels

Oooh yes, exactly.. 

July 28, 2012 8:43 pm  #24

Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 4:30 am  #25

I love it because I am a violinist and classically trained. Yes, Sherlock and I have that in common. I also play cello, piano, and guitar but not well anymore.

I really love Brahms. I haven't heard anything he composed that I don't like, but my favorite is Symphony No. 3 in F Major, and especially the third movement, the Poco allegretto. I also like Tchakovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Aaron Copland, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, Chopin, and...well...this list could go on for a while!

Last edited by Banbha (September 4, 2012 4:49 am)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 4, 2012 4:35 am  #26

Here's a contribution to the YouTube clips. Andre Watts playing the first movement of the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2. I saw him perform this twice; he's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ465MA517w

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 5, 2012 8:19 am  #27

This is one of my favourites - Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten by Arvo Pärt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZLxxR23K4

Last edited by SusiGo (September 5, 2012 8:20 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2012 11:29 am  #28

Wondering whether anyone else had seen this which I just stumbled across. Aimi Kobayashi (4years old) plays Clementi Sonatina op.36

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_WBdb4Hu_Y

Last edited by Davina (September 5, 2012 11:30 am)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 8, 2012 6:15 pm  #29

I enjoy classical music mostly because I play piano and I enjoy hearing other peoples' interpertations of certain songs.My favourite classical(impressionistic/contemorary, actually) song is Claude Debussy's Arabesque II.
Clementi is one of my favourites to play as well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 8, 2012 7:07 pm  #30

Not sure if this is considered classical or if I'm even allowed to post these (Dav and the others can spank me later) but here's a couple of songs of mine that people who enjoy classical, might enjoy.

http://soundcloud.com/aae-finland/aae-the-moth

http://soundcloud.com/aae-finland/aae-autumn-rain

http://soundcloud.com/aae-finland/aae-blue-harvest

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 8, 2012 8:40 pm  #31

I get all the good jobs!

Actually I listened to each of these in turn and they are absolutely lovely. Enchanting music. All a bit lost for words...

October 8, 2012 8:46 pm  #32

They won't play here 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 8, 2012 8:57 pm  #33

Glad to hear you liked it, Robert Davina. Does this mean you won't spank me? So I got my hopes up for nothing.

Harriet, doesn't the links open at all or the player just don't start playing?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 8, 2012 9:05 pm  #34

I'm afraid it's my player ... the links are fine

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 9, 2012 6:37 am  #35

Behave Drama! Who is Robert? (Apart from my son of course. He's into Hip-hop and R&B so...). Have you any more tracks available for linking?

October 9, 2012 9:37 am  #36

Robert Davi is the actor from such classics as GOONIES and DIE HARD. Since there are book recommendation threads and stuff, I'll just make a thread for my project cause I don't want to derail this topic too much.

Last edited by Dramagod (October 9, 2012 9:54 am)

October 9, 2012 12:02 pm  #37

Ah! Get it now. I've got to update flash player to hear your other stuff.

I love Debussy and Saint Saens, Dvorak, Beethoven, Ravel, Rimsky Korsakov, Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Holst, Mozart, Sibelius and Vivaldi (amongst many, many others). Just to get it onto the pure classical track again.

October 9, 2012 6:26 pm  #38

Dramagod wrote:

Glad to hear you liked it, Robert Davina. Does this mean you won't spank me? So I got my hopes up for nothing.

If Davina won't, Irene might oblige.

October 9, 2012 7:27 pm  #39

I can provide the riding crop...if that helps!

October 9, 2012 7:34 pm  #40

Oh crop.

Board footera