BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2015 7:16 pm  #1

BBC Radio 4 - Ben reads Kafka's Metamorphosis

Here's a gem I just found today. (Meaning: A fellow geek friend tipped me about it):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jwnt

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 13, 2015 7:26 pm  #2

Re: BBC Radio 4 - Ben reads Kafka's Metamorphosis

Some time ago it was available for free on iTunes where I got it (Sci Fi Friday podcast). Amazing reading of a fascination work. Not sure if you can get it still though but maybe somewhere else. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2015 7:30 pm  #3

Oh, sorry, I thought it was brand new seeing as it's available for 28 days on BBC Radio 4 now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 13, 2015 7:52 pm  #4

No, it is not, but I think we do not have a thread for it. And try to get it, it is really wonderful. 

I just checked - they make it sound as if it was new but why should he read the same text again? Anyway, you can catch it on iPlayer. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 13, 2015 7:55 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2015 9:13 pm  #5

Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2015 9:16 pm  #6

Thanks for sharing the link, Vhanja.  I've just listened to the two parts that are available now and I am quite enjoying it.

Clueing for looks.

May 14, 2015 12:29 am  #7

I found the link to BC's reading of Kafka's Metamorphosis at another site earlier and have also really enjoyed the series so far. 

Here's a link to a reveiw of his reading. -

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/05/13/benedict_cumberbatch_reading_kafka_s_metamorphosis_how_the_novella_holds.html?wpsrc=sh_all_mob_tw_ru

I have to agree with this review when he said that Ben has the humour in his rendition that is needed for this story.  It is just perfect.  He uses his flexible skill with different voices to the max with all the characters and even his non-dialogue parts has a lightness that seems to impart the built in humour in the work. 

And yet he can get the seriousness that is simultaneously presented in the material as well.  You can feel the frustration that Kafka felt with various social situations (and cultural politics of the times) in Ben's voice.

Just a masterful job - can't wait to hear the rest!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 18, 2015 12:40 am  #8

SusiGo wrote:

Some time ago it was available for free on iTunes where I got it (Sci Fi Friday podcast). Amazing reading of a fascination work. Not sure if you can get it still though but maybe somewhere else. 

The 4 episodes of Scifi Friday podcast is still available for free (I searched on Metamophosis Benedict Cumberbatch). I'm surprised it's a podcast (rather than an audiobook) and not released by BBC--and it's dated 2012. Ah-chie's review has it as a 2006 broadcast, so I suppose anything after that date would be that version.

Last edited by REReader (May 18, 2015 12:42 am)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

May 18, 2015 7:12 am  #9

This is great news. You just have the short interruptions when a new episode starts, no problem at all. I can highly recommend it. 

May 18, 2015 8:21 am  #10

I downloaded the podcasts today, but the sound quality seems a bit muffled. What does it sound like on the BBC site? I can get it to play on my iPad to compare.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 18, 2015 3:04 pm  #11

On the BBC site the sound is clear.  Where did you download it from?

I finished listened to the other two episodes the other day.  Ben did a great job on the different voices.

Clueing for looks.

May 18, 2015 4:54 pm  #12

The download is from iTunes--it was run on the SciFi Fridays podcast in 2012.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

May 18, 2015 8:57 pm  #13

I really enjoyed this, it was a very interesting story with a huge message. 

Benedict did a great job putting a dignified humour into this, he really manages to bring things to life! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 5, 2016 7:52 pm  #14

Metamorphosis is on iplayer now
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jwnt

December 6, 2016 12:22 pm  #15

Thank you, It's wonderful! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera