BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2016 11:45 pm  #1

incredible actor

I have only seen Martin Freeman as John Watson.  I will use the info here to find him in other things.  My favorite John moment so far comes in the reunion scene at the restaurant.  He looks up and sees Sherlock, and the color literally drains from his face.  Then when he finally gets around to saying something, the best bit is the little repeated "hmmm?" and the raised eyebrows.  I'm sure that was not in the script.  Freeman did that.  It was perfect.

October 13, 2016 7:10 am  #2

Re: incredible actor

Martin is an amazing actor. I keep underestimating him, and every time he proves me wrong.

Benedict's Sherlock is incredibly charismatic, and he usually steals the focus of every scene he's in. However, to me, Martin owns the entire reunion scene. He goes through at least three different emotions without hardly changing his facial expressions at all, it's incredible.

Martin manages to ground every character he plays in reality. When I look at him in a movie/series I don't think "That's good acting." I think "That feels real".

I can't imagine a better compliment to give to an actor.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 13, 2016 12:38 pm  #3

If you've never seen Martin in anything else you must watch FARGO!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 13, 2016 12:39 pm  #4

Oh yes, this and The Eichmann Show are the two best parts I've seen him play.
Well, apart from the obvious!

Last edited by besleybean (October 13, 2016 12:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 13, 2016 5:39 pm  #5

I agree that Martin Freeman is an incredible actor.  I have seen him in The Hobbit series (which I highly recommend to everyone on this forum who hasn't watched them yet) and on "Sherlock," and he has done a wonderful job of portraying Bilbo Baggins and Dr. John Watson.

Last edited by kgreen20 (October 13, 2016 5:41 pm)

October 13, 2016 6:08 pm  #6

I only watched the first Fargo, cos Martin isn't in the second one!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 13, 2016 6:13 pm  #7

I remember I first saw Martin in Hitchiker's Guide. And I just wrote him off as this slightly fumbly, vaguely amusing English guy. 

When I heard he was playing John Watson, I wasn't quite sure if he could pull it off (Underestimation no 1). Of course, he proved me very wrong, and I think his John Watson role is the depeest and most nuanced character I've seen him in.

Then, after watching three seasons of Sherlock, I thought: "Well, ok, I was wrong. He is a very skilled actor, but now I've seen the range of what he can do". (Underestimation no. 2).

Then I saw Fargo. And had to repeatedly pick my jaw back up from the floor. That was WAY different from his Bilbo-John-Tim characters. And absolutely amazing. And again I thought - "Ok, I was wrong. NOW I've seen what he can do." (Underestimation no. 3).

Then I saw an old short he was in, where he played a mime. A mime! I had to pick my jaw back up from the floor for a second time. And after that, I've stopped believing that I've seen any of his limits.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 13, 2016 6:28 pm  #8

I first saw and liked him in The Office.

October 13, 2016 6:46 pm  #9

I didn't see The Office until after I saw Sherlock. And I loved it! I think it's hilarious, and Tim is so adorable.

Team Hudders!

October 13, 2016 6:57 pm  #10

The Christmas special is an absolute classic...I sob every time.

November 29, 2016 11:30 pm  #11

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 30, 2016 10:05 pm  #12

Neat quote.  

Clueing for looks.

Board footera