BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2015 11:59 am  #1

IQ and Intelligence

Is IQ really an adequate way to measure a persons level of intelligence and what does a high or low score actually mean for a person?

Can it become a self-fulfilling prophecy to be marked with either end of the scale? 

I have personally tested my IQ frequently as an adult. I have a learning difficulty known as 'Dyscalculia' which means maths and numerical logic just baffles me... I don't make the connections at all. I also as a part of it can't tell right from left etc. etc... 

To be able to say you have this learning difficulty it's a must that you must have a normal or as it apparently is with most; an above average IQ. Mine is 130. 

I'd like to say I am an intelligent person. I learn languages quickly and quickly make connections when it comes to that; I understand difficult physics concepts. I learned to read before everyone else in school and found all the things the other kids were interested in dreadfully boring. 

School for me was weird... most teachers saw me as a brilliant girl and I was a favourite student... but when it came to maths I was convinced there was something wrong with my brain... I never stopped my interests though.
But when the other kids started to bully me over being 'annoyingly smart' I started playing stupid in all the other subjects too...

Personally I think that's why I'm so interested in my IQ now as an adult. I take pride in being clever and I get an absolute joy when I know I've done something intelligent. A buzz even... 

I know how that makes me sound. 

Anyways... do you think an IQ score really says anything about the mental prowess of someone? 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (April 12, 2015 12:05 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 12, 2015 12:28 pm  #2

Re: IQ and Intelligence

I've never taken a real IQ test, but I just googled "IQ test" and did the one at the first result. I got 142 apparently, but I don't believe it, as I know I am a dunce  I couldn't figure out most of the number-sequence questions and just guessed at the answers to those ones. However I'm interested now, where can I find a real IQ test?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 12, 2015 12:47 pm  #3

IQ can be useful, but I think the reason many people discredit it is because they put too much value into it. Your IQ number doesn't say anything about your ability to learn, your level of knowledge or your value as a human being. It isn't meant to classify people as "dumb" or "geniuses". 

A good IQ test is hard to come by, especially online. An IQ test should not be affected by culture or previous knowledge. If you don't know the capital of Canada, that does not mean you have low IQ. IQ tests often has to do with being able to apply logic and see patterns. That is the type of intelligence it measures, not cultural, social or regular knowledge.

I took one of those tests at the Norwegian Mensa site, and got a score of 121. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 7:33 pm  #4

Don't know. Most people I know say I'm very clever, which shows mostly in me being spectacularly unsuccessful. They say it's typical for very intelligent people to underachieve. I don't know. I do get bored easily, but who doesn't. I actually think if I put my mind to things, I could be really clever, but then it also happens I just get sidetracked with something more interesting. I did a few IQ tests (not proper ones I think) a few years ago and had above average, but I don't know... I care about having friends, being empathic, enjoying things. For that, an IQ doesn't matter at all, so I don't waste a thought about it nowadays, not for my own, nor for that of others. I think an EQ as in emotional is more important anyway in this society.

To answer your question, I think it can go both ways, to know your IQ. If people are very selfcritic, it might help them to believe in themselves. But on the other hand, people having a low IQ doesn't mean they cannot achieve just as much. I think it's like what is said in Harry Potter: "It's our choices, not our abilities, that show who we really are." One needs to know how to make use of his/her intelligence, just having it is only half way. I personally wouldn't give too much on it, but if it helps you to feel good, I think there's nothing wrong with it. Personally I'm uncomfortable to make my life choices or my self-image depend on such tests.

Last edited by Whisky (April 12, 2015 7:36 pm)

"It is what it is."

April 16, 2015 9:49 am  #5

IQ tests are not culturally or socially neutral. I think they can be useful but only if used correctly. Personally I'm both disinterested and frankly rubbish at anything to do with numbers unless they have an bivouac real-world application (and even then it is pretty hit-and-miss). Being told you have a high IQ can lead to people sitting back and actually doing nothing with it. Another thing I think is really important is what interests a person. There are many examples of people who did not appear to be especially bright (at school etc.) but who had a real passion and interest in a particular field and become experts in their field. An example of this would be a friend of our family who was a dustman, with very little formal education, who became a national expert on Wedgwood pottery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 16, 2015 5:25 pm  #6

I believe that IQ tests mainly measure how good you are at IQ tests (and I believe there is some correlation between IQ and academic achievement, although I agree that they're not culturally/socially neutral and that there's a lot that they don't measure).   But in my personal experience, the people I know who I think of as really intelligent have all had high IQs when tested.

I was a member of MENSA when I was younger (many years ago!), but I found that it didn't suit me, and that it's kind of disapproved of (if you're a member, avoid telling people!  And definitely don't put it on CVs or job applications!).   However, at the time, I was questioning myself and looking for direction and it was just nice to know I was "officially" good at something!  You already know that you are good at things (i'm pretty useless with languages and I don't think I've ever even done any physics, so your ability is impressive to me!), so you should feel good about being able to add IQ to your list .  And maybe let it give you confidence in your abilities and potential. 

April 16, 2015 8:18 pm  #7

You've all made some very valid points about the IQ tests!

I have another question, and this is going to be very controversial I suppose...

My best friend and I had a deep talk, and she mentioned something to me that I have thought about too...

(First some background info... I don't want this to be some sob story, but I've had a crap life and upbringing... including a mother who couldn't love her own child, abuse in several ways, bullying etc. etc...)

My friend pointed out to me today that she thinks it's a miracle I didn't end up a drug user or a wreck in some other manner... (despite my issues with my selfworth, anxiety etc.)

Instead I kept on reading books; when I was little I would study subjects in the breaks out of my own interest, hiding in the corner of a class room etc. 
Even in the later years when I skipped most of year 8 I still made all my homework at home. 

Today I have finished a few educations, I've worked as a secretary and research assistant at the hospital's pediatric ward...
Sadly right now I'm job-hunting...

Can this be contributed to intelligence?

I am not saying that drug users and other people on the lower levels of society are stupid or anything... but is it possible that there is a connection? 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (April 16, 2015 8:21 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 16, 2015 8:31 pm  #8

I think psychiatrists probably have an answer to this. What makes some people cope and some don't. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 26, 2016 11:02 am  #9

People do have great IQ but don't utilize it very much

Board footera