BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2016 8:58 pm  #721

Re: Doctor Strange (spoilers)

So yeah. Benedict is not going to be in Copenhagen. I actually wrote to  Cumberbatchweb because their info was confusing as heck even if they changed it.

But oh well. The event I booked a ticket for does feature Mads Mikkelsen who is going to talk scout the film etc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2016 6:14 pm  #722

It seems like Doctor Strange is only available as 3D version in Berlin. I don't want to watch it in 3D! 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 24, 2016 6:19 pm  #723

Ivy, I know how you feel. I'm not a fan of 3D, either. In this case however it is at least worth it. Most movies in 3D just leave me wondering 'Why was this necessary? They didn't make any use of it!'. "Doctor Strange" does indeed have quite some scenes which left me pretty breathless because of the 3D effects.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 24, 2016 6:34 pm  #724

Sorry for bringing it up, but I can't believe they would only be showing it in 3D! What would people like my best friend do? Being blind on one eye she can't see the film, she has tried before and apparently it's all blurry and weird for her 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2016 6:49 pm  #725

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Sorry for bringing it up, but I can't believe they would only be showing it in 3D! What would people like my best friend do? Being blind on one eye she can't see the film, she has tried before and apparently it's all blurry and weird for her 

Why sorry?  I can't believe it either. I will check again later this week. There must be at least one cinema in Berlin! But I wanted to go with some friends, so we are not so flexible with time and place.

A friend of mine gets nauseous watching 3D, not the normal stuff you sometimes see on TV, but DS has a lot of action and stuff. I definitely won't watch it in 3D and it makes me angry that people are forced to. Not to mention the ticket will be more expensive. That's a question of principle for me. I won't cry if I can't see it in cinema, I'll watch it on dvd then, but still.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 24, 2016 7:45 pm  #726

I am grateful that there's not anything about 3D that disturbs me or makes me sick.  I agree that everything doesn't need to be in 3D and I'm very picky about what sort of movie I'll pay the extra money for.
From the first trailer I knew I had to see Doctor Strange in 3D on the biggest IMAX screen I can find.
  I am ready to have my mind blown!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 26, 2016 5:18 pm  #727

A random pondering about Mads Mikkelsen's character's name... 

I had to spell it out today for an online competition to win a Doctor Strange hoodie... and I realized it ends with Cilius. 

I worked for a doctor with that name... and I'll never forget that it's supposed to mean "big and strong" or something of the sort. That doctor told us secretaries that once, and he laughed himself. He's a pretty small man. With small hands (I remember because we had to order special XS gloves just for him). 

Not bad for a super villain name... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 26, 2016 9:49 pm  #728

So, is there anybody who saw Dr. Strange at Berlin premiere and likes to share impressions?
Or are people overwhelmed and passed out somewhere? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 26, 2016 10:39 pm  #729

I'll do my best tomorrow... I'm going to a special event where Mads Mikkelsen will present the film!

And I decided I'm aso going on Friday to the 2D screening... even if my friend can't come. I hope I can come with a more in depth review by Friday night...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 27, 2016 7:04 am  #730

That special event sounds good, Phantom! 

October 27, 2016 7:14 am  #731

I saw it just in my local cinema, no Benedict present, but nevertheless I am very enthusiastic. Stunning visuals, excellent actors, a score that stays in the mind, innovation for the MCU, a more spiritual and deep note compared to other superhero movies. And surprisingly funny as well. A film that is serious and able to laugh about itself at the same time. And Benedict - wow. He completely inhabits the character which does not come as a surprise but is lovely to see how naturally he fits into the action parts as well as the more introspective moments. And on a more superficial level - the constant focus on his hands and arms and face on a big 3D screen is something to remember. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 27, 2016 7:18 am  #732

SusiGo wrote:

And on a more superficial level - the constant focus on his hands and arms and face on a big 3D screen is something to remember. 

Superficial...? That's not superficial at all, if you ask me. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 27, 2016 7:19 am  #733

You are right. Science and all that. 

I had to laugh. I was thinking of your "Wait until you see him for the first time in the film". Washing his hands and arms … sigh. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 27, 2016 7:20 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 27, 2016 7:24 am  #734

Oh Susi! Now I'm even more excited for tonight! Yum!

I am watching a review of it on Good Morning Denmark... they gave it 5 out 6 stars. 
It was the woman who complained for ages about Benedict in The Imitation Game so I was a bit worried. It actually even felt personal. 
This time she let (one of my favourite) female actors talk about Benedict, and that was a relief. The actress praised him so much! 

... they also did show a clip I wish I hadn't seen before tonight... but that's one thing. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 27, 2016 7:28 am  #735

SusiGo wrote:

You are right. Science and all that. 

I had to laugh. I was thinking of your "Wait until you see him for the first time in the film". Washing his hands and arms … sigh. 

I had a sneaking suspicion you would start into the film with a sigh... 

October 27, 2016 7:30 am  #736

Yes, indeed. And while I am not a big fan of beards he does look really, really good. And the gray temples … 

October 27, 2016 7:35 am  #737

Yes, after he has shaven off that totally scruffy beard he looks pretty damn delicious.

October 27, 2016 7:38 am  #738

Sounds marvelous.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 27, 2016 7:45 am  #739

I just checked the cinema and it seems like no one will be sitting next to me. Just as well... I can then gush all on my own, and by your comments I can tell I will! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 27, 2016 9:38 am  #740

I really, really, really enjoyed that film. Benedict did a brilliant convincing job. The visual effects in 3D were amazing. And it also was very funny.

@ Solar and Susi
Of course I also sighed during the first scene with Benedict.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera