BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2012 9:57 am  #41

Re: A study of the Empty House

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

I can't see Sherlock on a cruise ship. He'd get so bored. Well, unless there played out some kind of Murder on the Orient Express-type mystery.

I can hear the other passengers now "... the victim couldn't possibly have done it..." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 8, 2012 1:57 pm  #42

They don't really have to actually show Sherlock doing any kind of "trekking", they can just explain it away in one or two lines when Sherlock's telling John what he's been up to the past 3 years (or however long they choose to make it).

I think the reason why he's chose to come back at that time should be the same - that he's heard Moran is in London...Moran is supposed to be the last of Moriarty's henchmen that he hasn't managed to get his hands on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2012 11:29 pm  #43

kazza474 wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

I can't see Sherlock on a cruise ship. He'd get so bored. Well, unless there played out some kind of Murder on the Orient Express-type mystery.

Well it would give him a chance to discuss the usefulness of Astronomy with the Captain.

I could see the captain. "But sir, it's the solar system."
"What does that matter?"
"Well, it's vital to the navigation of the ship."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 22, 2012 11:48 pm  #44

The Doctor wrote:

Bartitsu is still around, and has been re-popularised by the Steampunk movement..

Personally, I'd say Sherlock has also engaged in Aikido ('Vatican Cameo' scene) as Judo moves quite different. Then again, he should have never gotten in so much trouble with the choking in Chinatown and later by Watson. Both times he actually made the situation worse for himself by not breaking the lock earlier.

Mmmost judo schools dojos didn't study and practise the Kata when I was active.  One of the Kata has particularly nice passages using a sword or you could use a stick and techniques associated more with karate and aikido.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 24, 2012 7:59 am  #45

The empty house is one of my favorites. I'm always thinking what wonders today's SH can work, with the updated techonology ,to hide himself from his enemy and friends.

July 24, 2012 12:30 pm  #46

I do not think "The Empty House" will be a real empty ( deserted/ unhabitated) house in the BBC series. "The Reichenbachfall" , for example, was a famous  painting showing the waterfalls in Switzerland,
the "Hound of Baskerville" was a sequence (h-o-u-n-d) of the second ( ?)  letters of  fore names.
"Empty house" could be a password , the name of a object, a book title, the name of a rock band or something like that ?

July 24, 2012 1:16 pm  #47

saysomething wrote:

I do not think "The Empty House" will be a real empty ( deserted/ unhabitated) house in the BBC series. "The Reichenbachfall" , for example, was a famous  painting showing the waterfalls in Switzerland,
the "Hound of Baskerville" was a sequence (h-o-u-n-d) of the second ( ?)  letters of  fore names.
"Empty house" could be a password , the name of a object, a book title, the name of a rock band or something like that ?

Actually the painting is called The Reichenbach Falls. The episode was called the Reichenbach Fall - a fall that came from Rich Brooke.
And there WERE hounds at Baskerville in the end also. (slight name change tells us that)
So each of those examples really have stuck true to the canon in actual fact. The bombed out building seems logical as the Empty House. Some simplicity in detail would be forthcoming from these people I think.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 31, 2012 3:06 am  #48

I'm thinking that Watson, finally accepting the fact that his best friend is dead, moves on with his life and gets married to Mary. At the beginning of  Season 3, Watson finds out Sherlock is still alive - almost passing out, then crying with relief, then hitting Sherlock so hard with a right jab that Sherlock sees stars.
As the story progresses, during course of avoiding Moran and his sniper bullets, the unfortunate Mrs. Watson gets caught in the crossfire and dies. <cue solomn violin music..>  The grieving Watson joins with Sherlock to bring Moran to justice.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

August 31, 2012 3:08 am  #49

And the "Empty House" is  Watson's house -  now quiet with the death of Mary. 

sorry....too fast with that 'submit' button!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

August 31, 2012 3:27 am  #50

HoosierPhD wrote:

..................., the unfortunate Mrs. Watson gets caught in the crossfire and dies. .....

OMG England will FALL!

Why kill off Mrs H? I doubt they would actually.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 31, 2012 5:44 am  #51

kazza474 wrote:

HoosierPhD wrote:

..................., the unfortunate Mrs. Watson gets caught in the crossfire and dies. .....

OMG England will FALL!

Why kill off Mrs H? I doubt they would actually.

Ummm, did I miss something? I thought Hoosier said MRS.WATSON dies, NOT Mrs. H.... 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 31, 2012 7:28 am  #52

He did! Lol. If John wants to punch Sherlock properly he will use a left jab methinks.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 31, 2012 10:01 am  #53

Davina, you have been hiding your light under a bushel  .*reminder to self, do not pick a fight*

August 31, 2012 10:05 am  #54

Davina not only sees, she observes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2012 11:57 am  #55

Always beware a southpaw! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 3, 2012 12:18 am  #56

I also wonder if Moran will be female; it just feels like something they would do. Besides, there is another story with a woman named Moran (sorry, absolutely cannot remember which! Anyone?), I'm sure they could mash-up a villian arc for the series from that.
The thing that always struck me about The Empty House was how Watson was the absolute last to know Holmes was alive; Mycroft knew all along and Moran certainly knew, as did Lestrade and Mrs Hudson. I wonder if that will be the case in this series. If so, I anticipate John thoroughly pounding Sherlock verbally and physically.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 3, 2012 4:05 am  #57

NW16XE wrote:

I also wonder if Moran will be female; it just feels like something they would do. Besides, there is another story with a woman named Moran (sorry, absolutely cannot remember which! Anyone?), I'm sure they could mash-up a villian arc for the series from that.
The thing that always struck me about The Empty House was how Watson was the absolute last to know Holmes was alive; Mycroft knew all along and Moran certainly knew, as did Lestrade and Mrs Hudson. I wonder if that will be the case in this series. If so, I anticipate John thoroughly pounding Sherlock verbally and physically.

I believe you mean Patience Moran in the Boscombe Valley Mystery. She was the 'witness' to the supposed murder.

After seeing the reaction of Moftiss about Elementary's 'Watson', I can't see them changing the sex of one of the canon characters myself. Also, would that give 'Elementary' a chance to fire back a law suit for doing such a thing?

Also Mrs Hudson did NOT know Holmes was alive at all:
"I came over at once to London, called in my own person at Baker Street, threw Mrs. Hudson into violent hysterics..."
Nor did Lestrade know until he was back in London one presumes, as Mycroft was his "only confidante".

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 3, 2012 4:56 am  #58

It is Boscome Valley! So we have a Moran, in a mystery the resolution of which depends upon the word, RAT!
No, no, this is just my fangirl head exploding, sorry. Isn't it? Even so... what do you think, kazza? Will it be some sort of Empty House/Boscome Valley mashup? Not with any gender switches, good point about Elementary and Moftiss, but it does seem two Morans plus a rat could *possibly* equal Episode One in a Sherlockian equation. 
Regarding Watson, I know no one but Mycroft knew from the start, but Holmes did reveal himself to Mrs Hudson and Lestrade before he did so to Watson. His, Holmes', plan is already in place by the time he follows Watson home; Lestrade's men are waiting in the street and Mrs Hudson is moving the dummy around by the time they are in the house watching. ACD's Watson took this in his stride, doesn't mention it, but I'm wondering-- if it plays out that way in the series, wouldn't John be hurt by that? I think he would notice, and mind, that Sherlock had been in contact with so many people before he contacted John.

Last edited by NW16XE (September 3, 2012 5:08 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

Board footera