BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



October 3, 2016 4:36 pm  #1


Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

I literally just made an account 60 seconds ago and I don't know what I'm doing. I hope I'm in the right thread and not breaking any rules.

So, I'm a new Sherlocker. I just finished the series and am now, like any good fangirl, am writing a fanfiction. I'm really excited about the plot I have formulated and have high hopes for the fic. HOWEVER, I have a problem that is quite detrimental. My fanfiction takes place during "His Last Vow" after Sherlock confronts Mary Watson in the facade. I won't bore you with plot, but essentially Sherlock and John end up as bachelors with Mary and John's baby, but no Mary. My fanfiction then takes off from there and basically depicts Sherlock and Watson having to raise this baby themselves. Thus leads us to my major dilemma. 

How do I write a story surrounding a baby who hasn't even been named in the series? All we know about Baby Watson is that it's most likely a female. That's literally it.

So my struggle is, do I just name the baby myself? Make up a name that obviously won't be cannon in the series? And the even bigger question, WHAT do I name her? 

Anyways, that's my problem that's losing me my beauty sleep. I'd be overly appreciative of any opinions and/or suggestions. THANK YOU!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
 

October 3, 2016 4:42 pm  #2


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Welcome again! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png


Well, the great thing about not knowing much about baby Watson is that it gives us all the freedom we want. You can basically do everything with her.

In other fan fics, there are many names that are based on one of Sherlock's names, like Minna (from Wilhelmina from William). I usually just think of a name I like. I think I named her for four or five fics and frankly, I can't remember every name I gave her over the last nearly three years.

If you are looking for ideas, like other memnbers volunteering names, I am sure that many people here are willing to offer help. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/f78f2088-06ef-444c-b254-d9efa841bc19_zps435390b3.png      http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/140545df-e987-4a67-9272-fa8b2742790c_zpsa8b00ed8.png

"Quick, man, if you love me."
 

October 3, 2016 4:52 pm  #3


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Schmiezi wrote:

Welcome again! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png


Well, the great thing about not knowing much about baby Watson is that it gives us all the freedom we want. You can basically do everything with her.

In other fan fics, there are many names that are based on one of Sherlock's names, like Minna (from Wilhelmina from William). I usually just think of a name I like. I think I named her for four or five fics and frankly, I can't remember every name I gave her over the last nearly three years.

If you are looking for ideas, like other memnbers volunteering names, I am sure that many people here are willing to offer help. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Haha, hello! Thank you, again.

That's true! I wish I could enjoy this freedom, but instead I find myself overly concerned about it. I just really enjoy realism, and I feel the need to choose a name that would be reasonably realistic to the cannon. I guess what I really want is to be able to get into the mind of John Watson and try to estimate what kind of name he might choose. You're advice is tremendously helpful and eases my mind a bit. Thank you.

I am open to anything, honestly.  
 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
     Thread Starter
 

October 3, 2016 5:03 pm  #4


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Actually, John will not chose it, Mary will. She made that pretty clear at Christmas. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/errr.png


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/f78f2088-06ef-444c-b254-d9efa841bc19_zps435390b3.png      http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/140545df-e987-4a67-9272-fa8b2742790c_zpsa8b00ed8.png

"Quick, man, if you love me."
 

October 3, 2016 5:19 pm  #5


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Schmiezi wrote:

Actually, John will not chose it, Mary will. She made that pretty clear at Christmas. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/errr.png

Hah, very true. However in my AU Mary isn't partaking in the child's life what so ever, so It's all up to John.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
     Thread Starter
 

October 3, 2016 5:51 pm  #6


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

I like your AU. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png


Will Sherlock have a word too? Because in that case my idea is that John tries to come up with very extraordinary names like "Gunivere" or "Philomena"  so it would fit with "Sherlock" while Sherlock would prefer simple names like "Jane" or "Lisa" to match with John's name.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/f78f2088-06ef-444c-b254-d9efa841bc19_zps435390b3.png      http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/140545df-e987-4a67-9272-fa8b2742790c_zpsa8b00ed8.png

"Quick, man, if you love me."
 

October 3, 2016 7:02 pm  #7


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Schmiezi wrote:

I like your AU. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png


Will Sherlock have a word too? Because in that case my idea is that John tries to come up with very extraordinary names like "Gunivere" or "Philomena"  so it would fit with "Sherlock" while Sherlock would prefer simple names like "Jane" or "Lisa" to match with John's name.

Bwhaha! I actually like Mary, but I like John and Sherlock more. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smug.png


Oh god that's brilliant. I'm not really sure, honestly. I feel like he would do exactly as you said. but John would problem roll his eyes ignore him. It seems to me that John would have more simplistic names, doesn't it? Just as you described so perfectly, I feel like John might lean more towards a sturdy, simple name.

I wanted to name the baby Charlotte but then I hit the problem of it sounding too much like "Sherlock." So back to the drawing board I go. >.<


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
     Thread Starter
 

October 3, 2016 8:50 pm  #8


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

In my headcanon John would name his daughter after Sherlock, but in a less obvious way. For example, the child would end up with the same initials as (William) Sherlock (Scott) Holmes, either forwards or backwards. 


****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    http://i.picasion.com/av/83/2rrf.jpg
 

October 4, 2016 3:23 pm  #9


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

I think I'd probably feel the same way you do about naming a character that is yet-to-be-but-will-be named on the show. There's many older fics from well before we knew Sherlock's full name, for instance, that give him such ridiculous-sounding middle names as "Basil" and it really takes you out of the reading experience when you know that's not actually anywhere close to the truth.

BUT, what I would suggest is to simply go ahead and name the baby whatever you like, and after S4 airs, you can retroactively go back and edit the name. It might be a little jarring at first, but at least this means you can get on with being productive with your writing in the meantime! It'll just be a promise to your future-self so that you can stop worrying about it and just enjoy yourself.


Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr
 

October 4, 2016 7:51 pm  #10


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

GimmeCat wrote:

I think I'd probably feel the same way you do about naming a character that is yet-to-be-but-will-be named on the show. There's many older fics from well before we knew Sherlock's full name, for instance, that give him such ridiculous-sounding middle names as "Basil" and it really takes you out of the reading experience when you know that's not actually anywhere close to the truth.

BUT, what I would suggest is to simply go ahead and name the baby whatever you like, and after S4 airs, you can retroactively go back and edit the name. It might be a little jarring at first, but at least this means you can get on with being productive with your writing in the meantime! It'll just be a promise to your future-self so that you can stop worrying about it and just enjoy yourself.

Thank you for this support and suggestion! This is greatly helpful and eases my heart. I think my friends are starting to think I'm crazy because I'm making such a fuss about this. "IT'S JUST A NAME." It's extremely validating to hear that someone understand, thank you!
 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
     Thread Starter
 

October 5, 2016 6:22 pm  #11


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Np

Be sure to post your work in the "Fics from forum members" thread so we can read it when it's posted!


Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr
 

October 5, 2016 6:27 pm  #12


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

GimmeCat wrote:

Np

Be sure to post your work in the "Fics from forum members" thread so we can read it when it's posted!

I will indeed! Thank you!  


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
     Thread Starter
 

October 9, 2016 1:31 pm  #13


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

I remember in one fic, John choose names with Sherlock's initials (WSSH) in reverse order. I 'm not sure about the exact names. It was Helene (maybe Hannah) S(mething) S(something) Watson.

Last edited by Kratula (October 9, 2016 1:31 pm)

 

October 10, 2016 2:44 pm  #14


Re: Baby Watson. Help/Advice wanted. (SEASON THREE SPOILERS) I NEED BRAINS

Kratula wrote:

I remember in one fic, John choose names with Sherlock's initials (WSSH) in reverse order. I 'm not sure about the exact names. It was Helene (maybe Hannah) S(mething) S(something) Watson.

This is so incredibly creative and intuitive! I love it, thank you for sharing!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

    http://i64.tinypic.com/1zyhrg9.gifhttp://i63.tinypic.com/33lnx9g.gifhttp://i67.tinypic.com/kf13eg.gif http://i68.tinypic.com/n4tm4y.gifhttp://i68.tinypic.com/2j5kmqq.gif
 
     Thread Starter
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum