BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2016 10:10 pm  #161

Re: Possible "dark twists" in S4

GimmeCat wrote:

Mary who was never actually pregnant, because all the signs she scattered throughout the wedding episode were obviously faked for Sherlock to pick up on.

You know what? I too had this idea coming to my mind sometimes... ;) Anyone else? But you could only consider it likely if HLV isn't real. And now that we are getting more and more hints that HLV is indeed not all real, it is good to remember this thought.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

September 23, 2016 10:12 pm  #162

Am I the only one hoping it was all real?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 23, 2016 11:14 pm  #163

besleybean wrote:

Quite possibly but you are allowed.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 24, 2016 3:00 am  #164

I would like it to have been real, because it's extreeeeeeeeeemely easy to do the "it was all a dream!" trope poorly. Audiences generally hate it, it erodes the viewer's trust in everything they see from that point on, etc etc.

However, it simply doesn't make enough narrative sense, and I think the writers have proved that they are capable of telling a story that doesn't fall apart under the barest scrutiny. And HLV/TAB ain't that.

So either they outsourced the scripts to a bunch of interns, or they're attempting something highly difficult and testing the limits of their creative skill, and I genuinely think they're good enough to pull it off.

Last edited by GimmeCat (September 24, 2016 3:02 am)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

September 24, 2016 3:52 am  #165

In all honesty the main thing in HLV that I want not to be real is the "reconciliation."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 24, 2016 6:17 am  #166

besleybean wrote:

I hope it's real, just because if not, it then sets a precedent that nothing needs to be real.  (I remember that Fight Club style idea somebody posted recently about Sherlock being John's imaginary friend).   Maybe everything after the wedding was mind palace, and there's no mystery about Mary? If we can go back to HLV, we can go back further.  Did Sherlock imagine everything after the hiatus?  Did John?  Was Sherlock actually dead?   And so on.

The other problem with it is that it makes nonsense of the Magnussen story.  Where would they take that?  Is Sherlock still on the case?  I would absolutely love to see Lars back, so this would be fine with me, BUT it would mean that a lot of what we see of Magnussen isn't really him and was just in Sherlock's mind, which is a little disappointing. 

I'm sure if they want to do it, they could do it well, of course, but it could be a slippery slope!

The fake pregnancy also doesn't really make sense.  Mary could just pretend to be pregnant, instead of pretending to have symptoms and not know.

September 24, 2016 6:40 am  #167

Anyway, it still keeps preying on my mind that Sherlock can not deduce that Moriarty is dead from TAB.  It's his crappest deduction ever.  We're not even shown flashbacks to back up the idea that Moriarty was truly dead (the empty back of his head exists only in Sherlock's mind palace, for instance).   And we are given the extra information that the body was never recovered - what?  Why not?   He could deduce from TAB that it was possible to fake a death, with help, and in fact TAB more or less shows what he did in TRF (fake the moment of death, then use a real body). 

So why does he say that knows Moriarty is dead, and what he's going to do next?  Is that just for the audience (Moftiss really wanted that mind palace Victorian episode, but had to have a deduction at the end).  Or is it for Mary's benefit (he knows that she knows something)?   It's Mary that he tells that Moriarty is dead.  Has she taken over from Moriarty?  Or does she know Moriarty's alive, and Sherlock's trying to pretend he hasn't guessed?  Is she Moriarty's twin (she's not English)?

But he looks away from her when he says he knows exactly what he's going to do next.   I think he might looking in Mycroft's direction, but I'm not sure - he doesn't seem to be looking at Mary or John.  If it's Mycroft, well, I keep coming back to that filmed handshake between Mycroft and Moriarty - of course they're going to double bluff us and use it in S4!  Is Moriarty the other one?  Is he Sherlock's twin?  (Yes, I know, but I keep coming back to "it's never twins", too!).  Is he Sherrinford?

I don't know if those are dark enough .... what would be really dark would be John going evil and calculating, but then it wouldn't be John, and I think we need John as he is. 

September 24, 2016 7:24 am  #168

I honestly can't see John turning evil, but I do hope Moriarty is Sherrinford!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 24, 2016 6:23 pm  #169

Rache wrote:

GimmeCat wrote:

Mary who was never actually pregnant, because all the signs she scattered throughout the wedding episode were obviously faked for Sherlock to pick up on.

You know what? I too had this idea coming to my mind sometimes... ;) Anyone else? But you could only consider it likely if HLV isn't real. And now that we are getting more and more hints that HLV is indeed not all real, it is good to remember this thought.

Yep, me. Strange as it seems, it is more plausible to me than all of HLV being real.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera