BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2016 5:48 pm  #1

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning? (Alan Jackson)

September 11, 2016 5:54 pm  #2

Re: Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning? (Alan Jackson)

I will not forget what happened on this day in history, but I will not dwell on it either. I will not allow it to steal my time. Today I will love my family and my neighbor. I will be kind to the stranger. I will try to put some good out into the world. This is how I win.   <3

Last edited by tonnaree (September 11, 2016 5:54 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 11, 2016 6:02 pm  #3

Even as a Brit, neither will I.
The day before at work, we had all been euphoric:  one of our colleagues had given birth to her first child.
24 hours later, I was met at the door by a dazed looking janitor, who had just come in from his break.
" A plane's crashed into one of the twin towers," he said.
"Oh wow", I replied and then as an after thought," was it an accident?"...

I remember my parents telling me they switched on the TV while they settled down for a morning coffee and thought they were watching an action film...until Mum saw the words' live footage' on the screen....

Last edited by besleybean (September 11, 2016 6:02 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 11, 2016 6:26 pm  #4

It was the first birthday of my eldest daughter. I have a couple of pictures with her in the morning, her first birthday cake, a present, a few hours later we were glued to the screen.
It is for us very much connected with her birthday. For years to come, as long as she would allow, I coiffured her hair with pig tails with star spangled banner hair ties on her birthday and she wore them proudly. When people used to ask me when her birthday was and I answered 09/11 I got big eyes and reactions like "Oh really? Poor little girl, how sad...." But I never felt this way. She was there one year before and furthermore it's a proof that wonderful things happen on this very day.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 11, 2016 6:33 pm  #5

I think that's the right way, tonnaree!

I remember that day... I was 11; and a teacher had driven me to the ER with a bleeding knee after I had taken a fall... as she drove me home the radio was on and they were reporting it. 

I came home and sat in front of the telly with my leg up... I remember barely being able to understand what was going on... but it felt sad and scary. 

In a way I think it changed how we were kids then... we all knew about it, we had all seen the news so they couldn't 'protect' us from it. Everyone were talking about how bad it was... and I remember fearing it would happen in Denmark too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 11, 2016 6:44 pm  #6

'Course we'd had years of Irish terrorist outrages and we've had Islamist attacks in the UK, too.
But nothing like this...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 11, 2016 7:35 pm  #7

I was 5 when it happened.  The day before we had flown home from visiting family at the other end of the country.  I remember seeing the burning buildings on TV.  I remember talking about the burning buildings because everyone was talking about what had happened.  (My mom says I called it the "steaming building," but I remember saying burning building.)  I remember on one of my favourite shows they talked about these kids at a school in New York City and what they went through, and how they wrote and recorded a song to thank the firefighters and everyone who helped them - I remember every time that episode came on and they would sing the song that I would cry.  I probably would if I looked it up now.
I remember in elementary school they would always have an announcement marking the anniversary and we would have a moment of silence.

A few years ago, I visited the Flight 93 memorial with my family.  It's very beautiful and moving.

Three years ago, we visited the 9/11 memorial in NYC.  It was a sunny day, just like the day it happened (though we went in November).  They have everyone's name who died around the edge of the two fountains where the foundations had been for each tower.  On that person's birthday, they put a white rose on that person's name.

Clueing for looks.

September 12, 2016 6:37 pm  #8

I remember being on my way to my brother. He had broken his ancle at work and was at home, so I bought him some food. While doing his shopping I got a text about the first plane. Not long after I got a text about the second plane - that's when I knew something was up. We ended up sitting at my brother's watching telly. We watched a lot of telly the next few days. I was 24 at the time.

I remember him sitting there, pointing at his bandaged ancle going: "And here I was, feeling sorry for myself because of this injury. Then I watch this..."

When Bush decided to enter Afghanistan against what the UN stated, NRK (our BBC) aired the music video "19" several times a day for a few days, in between their regular schedule. I remember that surprised me, seeing as a state owned channel, they are not taking sides, editorial-wise.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 12, 2016 8:09 pm  #9

My mother was minding my kids. I came home and the TV was on. I thought she was watching an action movie and was a bit surprised but she said no, this is real, two planes flew into the WTC. My son was two at the time. He kept drawing the towers in kindergarten for a long time. Of course he did not know then what it meant but it affected him still. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 12, 2016 8:54 pm  #10

It is a powerful image, that's for sure. When I was in high school I saw a photo someone had taken of one of the planes a mere moment before it crashed. (It may have been this one http://www.newsfocus.org/images/wtc_airplane_crash_2b.jpg) and a YouTube video of footage someone had captured of the crash as they are walking through the street. The images still are strong all these years later.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 12, 2016 8:54 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera