BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2016 6:13 pm  #6901

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

But I don't know if it really is that, or if it's just that Magnussen uses the chain to get to the person he wants.  For instance Lord Smallwood may adore Lady Smallwood, but it's Lady Smallwood that Magnussen needs to influence.    Possibly if it had been the other way round, Lady S would have been Lord S's pressure point.  (As an example).

August 27, 2016 6:17 pm  #6902

You are both right. That makes me feel better. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 27, 2016 6:19 pm  #6903

Well to try and make you feel even better!
I can honestly say that I have always felt the Pool scene was the first time that Sherlock realised just how much John meant to him and just what he was in danger of losing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 27, 2016 6:23 pm  #6904

True! It's a wonderful scene in that respect. I love it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 27, 2016 6:25 pm  #6905

Oh I think it will always be one of the classic scenes: it has everything, drama, tension, humour etc.
Moriarty is magnificent and his effect on Sherlock just striking...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 2, 2016 5:56 am  #6906

A few more questions.  They seem to be asked in order, so the girlfriend here is John's girlfriend in ASIB (I've forgotten her name too!).

• Why was she dressed like Sherlock?
I don’t know if she deliberately dressed like Sherlock. If she did, it was possibly to try to get John's attention (because Sherlock always comes first).

• Why can’t John tell his girlfriends apart?
The are not his focus at this point.

• Why did John say that Sherlock acts heartbroken all the time?
He can’t tell if he’s grieving for Irene or not.   It looks like it, but what he’s doing could be just his normal behaviour.  (I have my own theory about this - that Sherlock never actually believes Irene is dead - but no room for that here!)

• Why did John get so angry at Irene when she came back?
Because he thought she might have hurt and deceived Sherlock.

• Why did he shout 'you’ve texted him a lot!’?
I get the feeling in ASIB that John is quite protective of Sherlock, and at this point he feels Irene has kept the contact going then hurt him by pretending to be dead (a bit of a foreshadowing of what’s to come for John!).    Meanwhile, Sherlock very much shuts John out throughout ASIB.  He’s continually kept in the dark, right up to the end.

• Why did he say 'you… Flirted… With Sherlock Holmes?’ in that tone of voice?
The idea of flirting with Sherlock Holmes is kind of ridiculous 

• Why did Irene ask if he’s jealous?
Because he might be.   

• Why did Irene (who knows what people like) say that they are a couple?
Because they are a couple in a way.  (We know they’re not in a sexual way, but being so close, living together, focusing on each other - they are a sort of couple). I don’t think Irene actually believes they are boyfriends.

• Why did John not deny this?
It makes him think.  There is some truth in it.  His bond with Sherlock is unusual.

Just a quick general comment here - I love what this episode shows us about their relationship.  But I think more than any other, there's a distant Sherlock who kind of shuts John out a lot of the time, but still wants his attention focused on him, and a quietly devoted John, who finds that his relationship with that distant and mysterious Sherlock means other parts of his life being neglected (particularly girlfriends!) with very little reciprocation.   It isn't alway like this, but I think it helps to show why Sherlock can always, absolutely rely on John. 

September 3, 2016 3:14 pm  #6907

Some more of those questions!

• Why did John not reply when Irene said 'well I… Am [gay]. Look at us both’?
Because she hits on a certain truth.  In this episode in particular, John is kind of chasing after the mysterious Sherlock, just like Irene (although Irene is doing it partly to manipulate Sherlock, and John is doing it just because he cares and he wants to be with him).   I think this is the one line in the whole thing that could mean John fancies Sherlock on its own (Irene is implying that), but of course it has to be viewed in context.

• Why did Sherlock look so emotional after hearing this?
One reason is that he has been caught out by the text message.  

• Why did John ask Sherlock how he felt about Irene being alive?
He cares about him.

• Why did John playfully say 'what, in your bedroom?’ When Sherlock said that they had a client while standing in his room?
Because it’s an odd place for a client to be!  

• Why did Sherlock start talking to John even though he wasn’t present and Irene was?
Apparently, it’s something he does (“He said you do that”).  He's concentrating on the case ("Coventry").

• Why did he say to Irene 'why would I want to have dinner if I wasn’t hungry?’ Even though he always goes to dinner with John and doesn’t eat anything?
She is flirting with him and he’s pretending he isn’t interested, whilst also checking to see if she’s interested.  Perhaps he’s calling on her euphemism too.  He’s also echoing her text “I’m not hungry, let’s have dinner”.  I think it also could be that he’s maintaining the front of being asexual.  (I’m trying to think of times of him going “to dinner” with John and not eating … I imagine he genuinely isn’t hungry, or doesn’t want the distraction of food - they’re often on a case.  But I think he does eat with John sometimes).   

• Why did John say 'John Hamish Watson, just if you were looking for baby names’?
Again, because they are making him a gooseberry.

• Why did Irene tell Sherlock to 'impress a girl’ and then he looked at John while deducing?
Irene’s encouraging him to show off - in fact she gives him a clue that that’s what she’s doing when she talks about the the MOD official who liked to show off.  He gets caught in exactly the same trap.   Meanwhile, he’s still trying to look like he’s unaffected.  But it’s her coming in for a kiss that speeds up his deduction.   He does glance at John but there’s prolonged eye contact with Irene after the deduction.

September 3, 2016 3:35 pm  #6908

Amazing job with these, Liberty. I agree with all your points. 

And, yes, if there was ever a moment in the show that could be interpreted as Johnlock, it's the dialogue between Irene and John. That is still the one thing I struggle to wrap my head around, trying to read it in a non-Jonlock context.

However, one of those moments isn't enough for me against all the evidence speaking of non-Johnlock, unfortunately (the WoG being the biggest one, of course).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 3, 2016 3:37 pm  #6909

WoG?

September 3, 2016 3:45 pm  #6910

WoG = Word of God aka The Creators.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

September 3, 2016 3:45 pm  #6911

Oh, I see.
Indeed.

September 3, 2016 5:43 pm  #6912

Thank you!  It's interesting answering them all.  And I'm not claiming my answers are the "truth" - it's just the way I see it.  Some of them I don't really know the answers to. 

It's funny how people see it differently.  I've often seen that point about Sherlock asking for John when he wakes after being drugged, while it's completely missed that all he wants John for is to help him find Irene.  Or the one above about Sherlock glancing at John during his deduction "scene", missing that he has a long, lingering look at Irene.  So I find that some of those points/questions, if they're meant to show Johnlock are a bit selective.  And there are a few I'm just completely stuck with, like John asking about the client in the bedroom: I just can't see a Johnlock interpretation of that at all! 

But I know it's difficult.  Some of the "evidence" either way is through expressions and so on, which are actually quite hard to interpret, I think.   I do feel that the way Molly (who fancies him) looks at Sherlock is quite different to the way John (who I think loves and adores him, but doesn't fancy him!) looks at him.   But I'm not sure how you show that. 

Yes, we have the Word of God.   But I do understand that some people are seeing something else there, that's at odds with what the creators are saying.  So it's still interesting to discuss, I think. 

September 3, 2016 5:45 pm  #6913

Yeah, I agree that many of these I don't see Johnlock at all. And I don't see how they can't see what I'm seeing. 

But then there's the Irene/John-dialogue, that throws even me on a loop a bit. 

And then I hear WoG, and that one piece of scene sort of drowns into everything else.

Team Hudders!

September 3, 2016 5:47 pm  #6914

@ Liberty. But for me, your last sentence is the crux of the issue.
Well to be fair, your post adeptly highlights the main issues!
We are all watching the same show, yet interpreting different things.
For me, the artist has the final say on their work.
But apparently some people think they lie.

@Vhanja.  See I don't agree with the team about Irene and Sherlock.
But I have to admit, they do show it.

For me I see the same with John and Mary and vice versa...I await to be proven wrong in S4.

Last edited by besleybean (September 3, 2016 5:50 pm)

September 3, 2016 6:01 pm  #6915

besleybean wrote:

For me, the artist has the final say on their work.

I completely agree, and this is what I think the entire thing boils down to.

My boyfriend took a master degree in art and film, and we had a lot of discussions about this. Because we come from slightly different viewpoints.

We discussed the views of postmodernism vs modernism, and the idea of whether or not an artist can claim to hold the objective truth over his or her own work. I say they can, other peole (especially those of postmodernism) say they can't. 

Team Hudders!

September 3, 2016 6:04 pm  #6916

Is it nuance, though?
People have the right to see what they like...but possibly saying that is what is meant to be shown, is something different.

September 3, 2016 6:17 pm  #6917

Btw, some people think the creators lie sometimes because the creators often say that they lie sometimes.

:-)

September 3, 2016 6:19 pm  #6918

I wonder how we know when they are telling the truth?

September 3, 2016 6:19 pm  #6919

Schmiezi wrote:

Btw, some people think the creators lie sometimes because the creators often say that they lie sometimes.

I agree, they do.

But some people think that on some topics, they are more sincere than on others. :-)

Team Hudders!

September 3, 2016 6:22 pm  #6920

Vhanja wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

I agree, they do.

But some people think that on some topics, they are more sincere than on others. :-)

That's why this debate is still interesting. With unreliable statements there is still room to interpret.

Board footera