BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2016 5:40 am  #6721

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SolarSystem wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Errrrrr---- are folks getting actively...hostile, or am I on Crack?

Raven, I think this is a complete misunderstanding - and I think you misunderstood my other post, too. I'm not telling anyone to leave 'the fandom'. In my other post I was merely quoting the stuff that repeatedly gets thrown at people who dare to criticize the show - I'm reading those things here in this forum on a regular basis, and my post was meant to be ironic. But maybe irony doesn't really work that well on the internet.
And my post from this morning was an answer to JP - and yes, guilty as charged, for the sake of convenience I was speaking about "Johnlockers" while knowing full well that the one Johnlocker doesn't exist.

OH!!!  ((((BLUSH))) Gotcha. 

August 24, 2016 5:42 am  #6722

besleybean wrote:

Right, getting back to the topic at hand...well, at least in the sense that the relationship stuff can either prove or disprove Johnlock.
Of course a fake reconciliation is possible...but personally I don't see them going that way, mainly because I don't see the point.

Faking sleeping together could be a real challenge...

August 24, 2016 5:45 am  #6723

Yes, but I presume people were talking about the 'fake' Xmas scene reconciliation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 24, 2016 5:47 am  #6724

besleybean wrote:

Yes, but I presume people were talking about the 'fake' Xmas scene reconciliation.

I thought we were talking about the whole kit-and-kaboodle-- John goes back to Mary, period. 

August 24, 2016 5:51 am  #6725

We don't know he ever left her.
But Xmas, they are reconciled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 24, 2016 5:54 am  #6726

besleybean wrote:

There's my point. Fanon convention like to posit the idea that John stayed by Sherlock's bedside and nursed him back to health in 221b, whilst ignoring Mary-- for months. 

But there is absolutely NO canon evidence of this.

It breaks my heart.

August 24, 2016 5:56 am  #6727

It doesn't break my heart, but I sometimes feel people build massive mind palaces of their own!

August 24, 2016 6:05 am  #6728

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

besleybean wrote:

There's my point. Fanon convention like to posit the idea that John stayed by Sherlock's bedside and nursed him back to health in 221b, whilst ignoring Mary-- for months. 

It breaks my heart.

Well, there is no Canon evidence for Holmes being shot by Mrs Watson and in need of nursing either. However, we get various instances of Watson caring Holmes after or during an illness, e.g. "The Dying Detective", "The Devil's Foot", and the one whose title I cannot remember where he accompanies Holmes to the country for recuperation. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2016 6:06 am  #6729

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

besleybean wrote:

It breaks my heart.

Still, choosing another partner temporarily IS one typical trope of slow burn romances. So let's bring on S4 to see how long lasting that marriage is. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 24, 2016 6:08 am  #6730

SusiGo wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

besleybean wrote:

It breaks my heart.

Well, there is no Canon evidence for Holmes being shot by Mrs Watson and in need of nursing either. However, we get various instances of Watson caring Holmes after or during an illness, e.g. "The Dying Detective", "The Devil's Foot", and the one whose title I cannot remember where he accompanies Holmes to the country for recuperation. 

I meant no canon evidence in terms of BBC Sherlock. They never show it. I feel so cheated! Where's my bedside scene?  Sigh. :-(

August 24, 2016 6:09 am  #6731

Not long at all, if Mary and baby get wiped out.
I think the team will stick to Canon: John will lose Mary because she dies...if we take that's what her Canon disappearance was.

Last edited by besleybean (August 24, 2016 6:11 am)

August 24, 2016 6:13 am  #6732

Schmiezi wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

besleybean wrote:

It breaks my heart.

Still, choosing another partner temporarily IS one typical trope of slow burn romances. So let's bring on S4 to see how long lasting that marriage is. ;-)

I think it's the circumstances that bug me. I mean, Mary shot Sherlock and he freaking died, albeit temporarily... how could John go back to her???? It better be a plot. 

August 24, 2016 6:15 am  #6733

Well personally I thought Sherlock explained it all quite eloquently in 221B and I accept what he said, even if nobody else does.

August 24, 2016 6:17 am  #6734

besleybean wrote:

Well personally I thought Sherlock explained it all quite eloquently in 221B and I accept what he said, even if nobody else does.

I think Sherlock was trying to control a really volatile situation, when he was wounded and ill. 

August 24, 2016 6:20 am  #6735

I think he was trying to work out if John really did love Mary and want to stay with her.
If the answer was 'Yes'( which it was), then that would determine Sherlock to take out CAM, to protect Mary, for John's sake. Which is what he did. Simples.

Last edited by besleybean (August 24, 2016 6:20 am)

August 24, 2016 6:21 am  #6736

I agree about the meta - it makes sense, and what the characters say does imply that John and Mary were still living together. 

I don't think that John was scared of Mary, though.  I think he believes Sherlock, but finds it difficult to come to terms with her not being what she seemed and deceiving him. 

August 24, 2016 6:23 am  #6737

Which is all perfectly understandable, but I do think they are reconciled.

August 24, 2016 7:23 am  #6738

besleybean wrote:

Hmmm...

http://furriesandus.tumblr.com/post/149382964829/benedictsherllock-tisnotmydivison

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 24, 2016 7:28 am  #6739

JP wrote:

I am sorry if anyone felt insulted by my Moon-landing conspiracy comparison.

It´s ok.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 24, 2016 9:05 am  #6740

nakahara wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Hmmm...

http://furriesandus.tumblr.com/post/149382964829/benedictsherllock-tisnotmydivison

Good point. Why did she say that if she intended to do the surgery stuff?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera