BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2016 6:34 pm  #1

Mycroft: German dub

Hey everyone. To all German-speaking fans:
Somehow I really really like Mycroft's German dub voice. It fits perfectly. Sometimes you see an actor and hear his or her dubbed voice and the voice might even be good, but you think: Well, somehow the voice doesn't fit the actors appearance/physique.
Not so with Mycroft. I could believe that it is his actual voice.

The voice has this slight superiority, arrogance, smugness, vain but also this gentleness/softness and commanding tone in it. It's hard to describe.^^
Anyway I think it's perfect, Mark Gatiss' voice dub is doing a superb job. They couldn't have done it any better. I even tend to say that Mycroft is the charakter who is dubbed best from all German voices.

What are your thoughts on Mycrofts dub?

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

August 19, 2016 7:51 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft: German dub

Sounds very intriguing. Do you have a video of the German dubbed Mycroft? I am very curious about his voice now.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 19, 2016 8:54 pm  #3

It's difficult to find dubbed Sherlock stuff on YT, but here is a trailer for ASiB with some Mycroft in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBSEwI_jsRA

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 19, 2016 9:01 pm  #4

Oh, it's not easy to find one I believe. They are all in English. But I'll see if I can find an example on youtube.

Although I'm not sure if anyone who isn't German-speaking could see what I mean. I guess the exact meaning of the words is adding to the effect of his perfectly dubbed voice.
But who knows, it is definitely worth giving it a try.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

August 19, 2016 9:23 pm  #5

SolarSystem wrote:

It's difficult to find dubbed Sherlock stuff on YT, but here is a trailer for ASiB with some Mycroft in it:

Thank you. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 20, 2016 6:12 am  #6

You're welcome. 
And by the way, I agree about the right amount of arrogance in Mycroft's German voice. I always thought that the voice works pretty good for him.
The reason why this works might also be that I'm not all that familiar with the voice. Very often you have a dubbing voice that you know from various other actors, and that's quite irritating. Best example is John's German voice. Whenever he opens his mouth I'm thinking 'Howard from The Big Bang Theorry!!'. And that's just a bit not good. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 20, 2016 12:37 pm  #7

Yeah, you could be right, SolarSystem.
Although Mycroft's dubbing voice, Thomas Nero Wolff, is also the voice for Hugh Jackman and other popular actors. I was astonished when I found out, because I didn't know that.
Maybe he is just very good in giving each character a slightly different voice so that you don't recognise him at once. And then I feel like he has a pleasently "neutral" voice. Not every dubber has it. You brought the best example for John, I think his German voice has a strong own colour  and isn't neutral. It is a bit irritating or you immediatley think of Howard like you said.

But I also have to say that John's and Sherlock's dubbed voices improved much over the three seasons. But Mycroft was superb from the beginning. :D

Last edited by Rache (August 20, 2016 12:40 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

August 21, 2016 5:08 pm  #8

SolarSystem wrote:

haha thank you, when I read the first post I went straight to yt but couldn't find anything. I can't really remember any of the German voices, I just know I found Sherlocks annoying.

Mycrofts German voice sounds familar, just googled him. He dubbed some quite famous roles.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Nero_Wolff

He also dubbed Rhys Ifans Mycroft in Elementary, I won't comment that any further I don't like that show.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 21, 2016 5:51 pm  #9

I like Mycroft's German dub very much
But I think I'm really alone in that I really really don't think Sherlock's and John's dub is too bad
*hides in a cave*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 22, 2016 4:45 am  #10

mrshouse wrote:

But I think I'm really alone in that I really really don't think Sherlock's and John's dub is too bad
*hides in a cave*

Absolutely not. I think the same. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 22, 2016 7:05 am  #11

I have problems with Sherlock's dub because it is so different to his real voice.
And yes, Mycroft's German dub is okay for me, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 22, 2016 2:09 pm  #12

Schmiezi wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

*hides in a cave*

Absolutely not. I think the same. :-)

High Five to that 
I really can't complain about Sherlock's dub.

But why do you think people's opinion seem to differ on Sherlock's and John's dub and with Mycroft everyone seems fine? Because he only is a "minor" characer? Or because his voice is indeed very fitting? Can you explain why you find it so good and fitting (just like I did in my first post)?

- - -

Breathing is boring!

August 22, 2016 2:26 pm  #13

My personal view of the choice of voices: 

Sherlock: not too bad, hard to capture Benedict's voice at all, but too high IMHO
Mycroft: I agree, the voice is fitting, maybe slightly too young but apart from that, it is fine
John: no, just no. I do not like the voice at all and it is very different from Martin's

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 22, 2016 5:52 pm  #14

@Rache, no, that has nothing to do with main or supporting cast. You can chose the dub spot on or absolutely terrible no matter the importance of the character.
I agree with Susi that it is an almost impossible task to capture Benedict's voice, it's just so very special. But Tommy's voice at least provides some of the following traits which are important for Sherlock: it's slightly arrogant, the pronounciation is very clear and distinguished (good for the deductions) and it sounds young, which fit very well when they began (Benedict was 34!). But it can also drop to be warm and deep (again not the velvety tone of Benedict's but hey, not too bad...)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera