BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2016 5:05 am  #1

What If...?!

Random nagging wild thought that I'd like to run by everybody.
Does anyone know if Gary Numan was asked, or ever considered to play the role of Moriaty?
I've seen his transition from an android-like persona presenting "Cars" et. al. To a dark, brooding creature as he appears today.
He's overcoming a measure of Autism, and in fact quite a gentle, hurting soul.
But on the surface...an Excellent Moriaty!
Yes?  No?

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

August 15, 2016 6:13 pm  #2

Re: What If...?!

Nah. He's a wonderful musician-- but, I don't know if he's ever been an actor. But his album, "Splinter" is excellent!

August 15, 2016 6:37 pm  #3

Dear RML (RavenMorganLeigh)
*may I call you RML?*
Yes!  Numan sports a rare talent musically indeed! Just as David Bowie was an incredible artist musically & expressed little interest in acting (even describing it as boring) yet he was wonderful in "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" ~ an intensely grim tale of prisoners of war.
At first I noticed a similar appearance in general looks, then put the two together coupling Gary's stage presence with Moriaty's angst.
*sigh* 'tis a stretch, indeed...and a fun fantasy! 😏

Last edited by Harobed (August 15, 2016 6:52 pm)

Cracks me up always!

August 16, 2016 6:30 am  #4

Never thought I'd see a Gary Numan thread pop up here, of all places! :D Numanoids, unite!

I've never put much thought into his acting, I guess because I've never really seen any. He's got a wonderful stage presence and energy while performing gigs, though. Has he ever acted, besides in music videos? The closest I can think of are the videos for Crazier and (coincidentally enough for us Sherlockians) The Fall.
Β 

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

August 16, 2016 7:33 am  #5

Ha, yes, surprise GimmieCat!
Interesting how persons & persona's & artists so rare can criss cross, clash or meld in unexpected places!
Thanks, too for the video links.  I've not seen them before since I've stalled after "Cars" (with Fear Factory) & his earlier works.
Point is, though it's not really Thee Acting abilities...it's thee Attitude.  Moriaty stands in such contempt of all things established & as an "evil genius" bored with banality. He springboards off of Sherlock's brilliance challenged & ever challenging as Gary Numan uses the dark, discarded & broken to express his contempt... πŸ™€

Cracks me up always!

August 17, 2016 10:27 am  #6

Yeah, I dunno. Gary certainly can do a good "unhinged maniac" look (see also: the Healing video) but I don't think he has enough of the "genius" side of it to be a Moriarty. He's just not cultured in that way. He's kind of an everyman. Not to insult the guy or his intelligence.

August 17, 2016 11:13 am  #7

Ha! I know just what you're saying  there GimmieCat!
Further, within mine own noggin' I'm seeing Our Super Mad Genius Writers lay down the lines, that Gary would pick up & say...hey...can you imagine that scene with Sherlock & Moriarty (uh oh, mind-blank for the episode name!😱) ~ (plunging ahead hoping you'll know which one I am referring to) when Moriarty suddenly makes this Incredible, Unexpected, Scary face & says "I. will. BURN. you!" ~ Now, of course Andrew's execution of that moment was flawless...startling!
Now picture Mr. Numan there....!
😨 lol...(the little icon is how I'D look if those words were spoken to me!) 😡 lol

Cracks me up always!

August 17, 2016 4:14 pm  #8

This is sacrilege for me: there is only one Moriarty and his name is Andrew Scott.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2016 6:02 pm  #9

Hey Beaslybean don't want to trounce on your ideals!
Yep.  You'll get no argument from me other than how impacted I've been from my 1st affections for Sherlock as portrayed by Basil Rathbone when I was quite young & how menacing Henry Daniell's Moriarty was...(smarmy & creepy, too!)
I acquiesce to Andrew Scott's powerful presence & to your devotion.
Begging your pardon & everyone's tolerance for allowing me to vent & speculate about these captivating characters! πŸ‘ πŸ‘Œ πŸ‘

Cracks me up always!

August 17, 2016 6:04 pm  #10

Indeed...it's all cool!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2016 6:40 pm  #11

P.S. Beasleybean,
I clicked on the link you shared & see now what a passionful (zat even a word?) artist you are!
Got lots going on & wonder how you do it all!  😡 - ha

Cracks me up always!

August 26, 2016 10:12 am  #12

Dear Ones, have a look at the following links...&...if all goes well, you may be pleasantly surprised...!

https://goo.gl/images/4T6v38

http://img06.deviantart.net/34dd/i/2011/237/4/6/gary_numan_by_mary_aisha-d47p0ic.jpg

Please stand by, I have just 2 more to share...πŸ‘‰

Cracks me up always!

August 26, 2016 3:59 pm  #14

Yum.

August 27, 2016 10:52 am  #15

Hey Beaslybean...got a word for ya!
It's...DITTO...ha.
😏

Cracks me up always!

August 27, 2016 8:29 pm  #16

If only we had a time machine to bring 80s Numan to the present day, then it might work.

(I'd still prefer our Scotty, though!)

August 27, 2016 8:32 pm  #17

I just rewatched TAB and still audibly gasped at Andrew's scenes...

August 29, 2016 7:11 pm  #18

GimmeCat wrote:

If only we had a time machine to bring 80s Numan to the present day, then it might work.

(I'd still prefer our Scotty, though!)

Ya know... that's spot on & that's the Gary I tend to think of when I think or hear about him.  Back then I was president of his North American fan club & was responsible for copying lots of newsletters sent to me from the UK & mailing the lot out to his many hungry fans over here.
*sigh* ...ah, me...how things, and people change (thinking now of Kajagoogoo & their song "Ouu To Be Ah" ~ in which they sing of times & of changes!) πŸ˜ΊπŸ˜ΏπŸ™€πŸ˜½πŸ˜ΌπŸ˜»πŸ˜Ύ

Cracks me up always!

August 29, 2016 7:22 pm  #19

besleybean wrote:

I just rewatched TAB and still audibly gasped at Andrew's scenes...

Yep, he's quite the surprise package!  Just when you think you've got him all pinned & pegged, he suddenly flashes yet another facinating facet of his personality & talents! 😏😱😡😊

Cracks me up always!

September 10, 2016 1:28 pm  #20

Hey Gimmiecat + et. al.  Heard this?!
https://youtu.be/_0soY3Dk6QI

Cracks me up always!

Board footera