BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2016 1:21 pm  #1

The Adventure of the Grey Messenger - interactive casefic, now on AO3!

Looking for some holiday reading?
Wondering what to do once we run out of daily Setlock updates?
Feel you need something to balance the gloom and doom of the season 4 trailer?

Join the "Sherlock" cast in picking up clues and deciphering riddles in our interactive multi-media casefic / extra episode where the next chapter doesn't come until you've put the pieces together!

"THE ADVENTURE OF THE GREY MESSENGER"
is now posting on AO3.

Summary:
A mysterious masked messenger appears at the door of 221B Baker Street, bearing a strange gift for the world's only consulting detective. Shortly afterwards, a series of seemingly unconnected tragedies rocks London, setting Sherlock and John off on a thrilling adventure filled with murder, mystery, and music.

Gen.
Rated "T" for canon-typical violence.

No need to sign up formally - just jump in and give us your ideas and theories to help Sherlock and John solve the case. Or simply lean back and enjoy the adventure unfolding before your eyes, if you prefer. My partner-in-crime (co-author RubraSaetaFictor) and I (Jolie_Black on AO3) are hoping to keep you all well entertained over the summer.

Please note: This is not a typical open-ended RPG; not even a WIP. The story is written, and will not be abandoned. Regular updates are guaranteed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 4, 2016 1:34 pm  #2

Re: The Adventure of the Grey Messenger - interactive casefic, now on AO3!

Very interesting game, thank you very much for heads-up, La Jolie! I will certainly try my hand in that!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 4, 2016 4:28 pm  #3

This sounds right up my street!  And looks like you've put a lot of work in.  Thank you!

October 29, 2016 12:33 pm  #4

This was an awesome fic, and it was so much fun being able to play along as each chapter was posted! I'm going to re-read it now that it's finished. For those that missed the "first screening", you can still have a go at solving the puzzles at the end of various chapters, just mind you don't read the comments until you're ready to find out the answers. Well done Jolie and Rubra

Last edited by ukaunz (October 29, 2016 12:45 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 30, 2016 11:05 am  #5

I didn't read it when the game was on, but I still liked the story as an excellent story - without spending too much time on trying to solve the puzzles. Though they were very well thought out and would have been well worth a bit of effort on my part, but I was too impatient to know what would happen next.

October 31, 2016 6:51 am  #6

Thank you for your kind compliments, ukaunz! :D

Rubra and I are very happy to hear you enjoyed reading the story as much as we enjoyed writing it.

It seems like you're back home, by the way - all well, I hope? Solved the chocolate flake case? :D

And Kitty - don't feel bad about the puzzles. I think I would do exactly the same if I were reading the story all in one go!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

Board footera