BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2016 9:10 am  #21

Re: Benedict among 250 stars backing EU

SusiGo wrote:

This is a sad day. And I fear inner turmoil for Britain since Scotland and Northern Ireland voted Remain. Seeing political campaigns exploiting people's justified and often unjustified fears is always a terrible thing. Which does not just go for the UK but also for the US, Germany, Austria, and many other countries. 

It was a very close call in Austria last election with only a 0.3% spread at some point. Same pattern (rural areas vs. cities) like in the UK now. Well, people's fears are being misused all around the world all the time, no wonder there. Still a sad day for Europe.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 24, 2016 9:48 am  #22

It's a real shame and I worry what this is going to turn into.

Racist parties and politicians are begging for a similar election here in Denmark but I'm relieved (if he is to be trusted *rolls eyes*) that our prime minister said that we wont, that he is quite happy to be in the EU

Edit: stupid auto correct making me say the opposite lol

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (June 24, 2016 9:49 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 24, 2016 11:21 am  #23

Uhm, did the Sherlock production have any grants from the EU?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 24, 2016 12:17 pm  #24

This makes me very sad and concerned.  It feels so much like what's going on in the US right now.  To me this is just another example of society pulling itself apart when we all should be standing together.

Last edited by tonnaree (June 24, 2016 12:19 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 24, 2016 3:35 pm  #25

As a resident of the UK I am gutted.
As an English woman living in Scotland, I am thoroughly p-d off with my birth country AGAIN.
But I wasn't at all surprised, knew Brexit would win it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 13, 2016 4:42 am  #26

I didn't say anything at the time, with not being sure what to add to all the other comments, or knowing much beyond just the headlines and being uncertainly utterly flabbergasted ('they're doing.. what?  but... how?  why??  what??), but I admit kinda wondered about things over there in the weeks following.  You okay, Britain?      

Pardon me for being slightly ignorant, living 'across the pond'... I keep up on the major world headlines, and sure I saw bits of chatter online, but I'm not the type to keep up well on the details of everything going on.  I was kinda amazed at the instant impact/ramifications it had, such as currency and trade, trying (sort of) to understand everything behind it, and can't imagine the effects from now on.  Is it completely 'off' of me to say that while reading about the various attitudes and political split and anger at being tied to something they didn't want to be, it reminded me a little of our Texas wanting to annex?  (basically would be on it's own then, away from the help/so-called 'harm' from the main government that rules/funds it).  But if it seems so obviously bad to break up a helpful union of nations, why were there rumblings of other countries following suit?  Why the heck did it even get to a vote?  Why the double-heck were so many people for it that apparently didn't really want what they got?

It feels sometimes like our countries are going through such similar things with people being upset but that fear/hate causing such a huge(r) divide and letting politicians lead us into stuff like that (or their own self-interests), so part of me was just trying to relate to that, and understanding that things can get frustratingly twisted with hate/fear and divide of political parties, instead of what a lot of the 'rational public' seems to want, but politicians not listening or aggravatingly being paid to kow-tow to certain interests (such as us, with guns and rights and race right now).  But also just not knowing what it's like over there/the EU, and stuff like whether it'll actually go through, and what it'll do with relations between things, and all those 'little' effects like travel, work, commerce, entertainment...

I wasn't sure at first why I wanted to write again about this, except just wondering what's happening now, and hearing from fellow, friendly regular folk, instead of getting lost down the google rabbit hole again with heavy, confusing political articles.  Appreciate it.  And consolatory hugs. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 13, 2016 6:16 am  #27

Aww, thank you, Russell! I have more to say, but maybe not here at the moment.  It's just nice to feel solidarity from across the pond .

Last edited by Liberty (July 13, 2016 6:16 am)

July 13, 2016 7:45 am  #28

Thanks from me, too, Russell.
I'm in a slightly odd position, because I voted for Scottish independence(in the previous referendum), but voted to stay in the EU.
I know America is vast, but there is obviously water between us and mainland Europe- though we are now connected by a tunnel!
I know there were genuine concerns about the EU and I accept our withdrawing was a valid political view.
The most worrying was how it got tied up with racism, though I do have economical concerns too.
But slightly irksome now, is the fact that the last poll I saw had at least 7% saying they now regret voting out of the EU. 
It was a high turnout, but still not everybody voted.
At the moment, I am sick of the Media giving air time to stupid people!
But anyway, we have a new PM(who although voted remain)appears to be committed to upholding the will of the British voters...oh and of course they were mainly English and Welsh voters. Both Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU. This may help readers understand why Scotland wants independence: we didn't vote for the Tory government that was imposed upon us and although we voted to stay in the EU, we are going to to be taken out against our will.
What deal the UK manages to achieve, remains to be seen.I personally feel article 50 should now be invoked at the end of this year, then apparently we will have left the EU in 2 years time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 13, 2016 5:27 pm  #29

Erf... I know.  Well, it's the same as when you guys expressed empathy a while back on our current problems with race, rights, and guns.  (and cries of "how could this happen/have gotten so far with votes???" *coughtrumpcoughbloodyhatethenra*   
Oh, I understand the Scotland bits well enough, as well as the divide, false promises, and fear-led attitudes.  I just don't know what it's like politically over there well enough.  And the how/why behind the whole mess coming up.  And why the EU is so bad.  And all the little things it'll affect  (like, my friend was joking, after the 'serious' discussion on it was over, that it may even affect things we couldn't imagine like Game of Thrones show having freedom and sensible costs to film in all the countries it does!)   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 13, 2016 5:33 pm  #30

Trade, farming subsidies and free movement of peoples are the biggies.
But I do worry about some workers rights and also the dismantling of the human rights act.

July 13, 2016 6:22 pm  #31

Yeah....   
But why did it finally boil over now to Britain wanting actually out?  (and some other countries supposedly wanting to follow suit, too)  I just pick up gists of politician self-interests, and disgruntlement with not being happy with what it gets out of the EU, confused since I thought it was a good thing.  But...  yeah.

July 13, 2016 6:35 pm  #32

For me, it boils down to naive idealists and honestly people who did not know what they were doing.

July 28, 2016 8:44 pm  #33

I can but agree with you and repeat that we didn't vote for this in Scotland.
Very sad.

Board footera