BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2016 6:45 pm  #1

Arwel Wyn Jones interview

I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.  I had a look and couldn't find it. 

https://mid0nz.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/arwel-wyn-jones/

It's a really interesting interview, particularly about what the art team bring to the production.   Arwel mentions that people were reading all sorts of significance into the paintings in Kitty's flat, when in fact, these were just part of the location that they decided to leave in.  On the other hand, he said he added touches to Many Happy Returns to recreate elements of 221B in John's living room.   He has also added details that were personal to him, such as having his son's initials on the wall on the drug den.  And there are lots of Easter eggs!

Which makes it all the more difficult for us to work it out!  Seemingly trivial details could be significant, whereas apparently significant details could be meaningless!  And some things might have been deliberately placed because they have significance to members of the Sherlock team (but not necessarily to us).  I know none of this is news, but it was interesting to see Arwel talking about specific examples. 

Last edited by Liberty (July 3, 2016 7:29 pm)

July 3, 2016 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Arwel Wyn Jones interview

I wish one day the makers will write about all the details and their significance.
And I wish to live long enough to read it.

July 3, 2016 7:28 pm  #3

Yes, it could be a long book!  The commentaries on the episodes are great - lots of little details there.   It would be nice to have more of that sort of thing with maybe Arwel, the directors, etc. as well, and "go deeper".

July 3, 2016 8:34 pm  #4

Loved the interview, thanks for the link!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

Board footera