BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2016 4:03 pm  #121

Re: The amazing Louise Brealey - discussions, interviews & work

Well done, Loo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 18, 2016 9:04 pm  #122

Imagine her as the next companion though 

She's very clever to be able to speak so much French, I just wish I knew how to understand it! In the Paris Comics Expo interview some of her answers were in French and not translated back to English for obvious reasons, but it left some of us out 

Last edited by ukaunz (April 18, 2016 9:22 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 18, 2016 9:29 pm  #123

I'd watch her as a companion!

Do you have a link to the interview with the French parts? I could tell you what they mean.

Clueing for looks.

April 18, 2016 9:42 pm  #124

It was part 2 of the interview, this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rnWv3XShGa8

The question was something like what personal goals do the actor have, Loo's answer was from about 5:25. There's also more untranslated French bits later in the interview, but that was the main bit. Thanks for looking at it for me Yitzock 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 18, 2016 10:11 pm  #125

OK, I've had a listen with my headphones on.

The fan talks about travelling to places like New Zealand.  The person was talking rather quickly and did not have a microphone, so it was difficult to catch everything. The fan talks about how acting helps her friend to see places, though the friend still wanted to travel on their own to see the places (I think this is what was said).  I think I missed something because her answer didn't seem to immediately relate.

Loo's response: You're right.  I wrote a play.  It was a bizarre experience.  There's pressure (can't translate that one verbatim because of her back and forth to English and the audience's noises). It was difficult, for many reasons.  I want to find (?) another one, but last time there was a deadline and all that.  This time, I want to do it for myself. (she switches to English, so I won't rewrite what she says in English, just what she says in French afterwards.)   My Frenglish (franglais), my Frenglish is always excellent. If I have a glass of red wine I'd be great! Sadly, there is only water (gesturing to her water bottle on the table next to her).

And then she talks about the book she wants to write.  She says a bit more in French, so I'll translate that.

She says:  I started it this summer. Every time I write a play, I will spend days writing.  Andrew just did a film and a play at the same time and it was really exhausting to do that. So, me, I do nothing during the day. During the day, I eat. I eat, I walk a bit, but I eat and eat.  I don't write.  Not everyone is doing Sherlock, so the idea is that I'll write.  I've been talking about this for 2 years, so it's getting annoying/intimidating because I've done nothing. I keep saying "Oh, I'm going to do this" ... but no. 

And there you go! I think that's all of the main bit.  I hope this was helpful.

Clueing for looks.

April 18, 2016 10:16 pm  #126

That was good, and very quick, thank you Yitzock! I think the bit at the start might have been the interviewer translating Andrew's answer to the same question, because he had been talking about wanting to travel outside of work, and he had said he wants to go to New Zealand.

Interesting to hear that Loo is a writer and that she has written a play 

Last edited by ukaunz (April 18, 2016 10:19 pm)

April 18, 2016 10:22 pm  #127

Oh, that makes sense that it was a translation for the audience.  If I had watched the rest, that would have helped, I guess, but I don't have the time right now.

Happy to help, and I, too, had not realized she was interested in writing.

Clueing for looks.

April 19, 2016 3:36 am  #128

Aww, she's adorable.   And yeah, it's been mentioned here and there that's she's been a journalist!  The 'having written a play' thing was just recent.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 19, 2016 5:30 am  #129

Yes it was her first big, solo project and I think she was pretty terrified.
Sadly I never got to see ti.
But apparently it went very well and I think she got good reviews.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 27, 2016 3:40 pm  #130

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 27, 2016 5:03 pm  #131

Fabulous.

November 3, 2016 12:06 pm  #132

On the plane coming back from my trip, I discovered the audiobook of The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins. Turns out it is read by three different women, and one of them is Louise Brealey. You can hear clips of their voices at http://www.booksontape.com/paula-hawkins-the-girl-on-the-train-exclusive-audio-clips/

I only listened to the first few chapters on the plane, but I'm waiting to get it from the library. Usually I'd get the paperback, but I thought it would be interesting to hear it (partly) in Loo's voice. I haven't seen the film yet and haven't even read the blurb, so I have no idea what it's about. Hopefully it's good!

November 3, 2016 6:58 pm  #133

I've read the book and enjoyed it.  I can see it working well as an audiobook due it being told in first person (different persons!).   A bonus that one of the persons is Lou!  Enjoy!

November 18, 2016 9:04 pm  #134

This is a bit of an older tweet by now, but posting the one in Rupert's thread reminded me of it, for those who don't 'twitter'... I always love the cast's playful humor with what they share with us and take note of:

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 23, 2016 12:36 am  #135

Love that last tweet, what an atmospheric photo

Poor Loo though, in the news now for the wrong reasons
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-11-22/sherlock-star-louise-brealey-regrets-binning-free-copies-of-the-daily-mail-i-didnt-think-about-the-implications-for-free-speech

I can understand what she did, I myself am guilty of acting and reacting emotionally without thinking on many occasions. It's good that she can reflect on her actions with maturity after the criticism she no doubt received.

November 23, 2016 7:24 am  #136

So do I. And while it may have been an immature reaction, there will have been tons of other free copies at the airport so I think that the going against freedom of information accusation is a bit over the top. Maybe one should look to Turkey or Hungary or other countries to see what that means.
And the opinion that the DM is a vile rag seems to spread since I read recently that LEGO is going to stop all cooperation in advertising with the paper. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 23, 2016 7:27 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 23, 2016 7:34 am  #137

It really is awful - it has a terrible reputation here.  It's not so much what it prints but the subtext.  You'd know what I mean if you read it.  It's very inflammatory, and she's right (I feel) that it tries to turn people against each other.  It creates enemies out of nowhere.  It worries me that it's one of the biggest read papers internationally. 

But I agree with her comments on reflection too, and admire her for being able to challenge herself!

January 17, 2017 4:57 pm  #138

Apparently Loo is being given a hard time over one of the most beautiful scenes of TFP

Love her comeback.
And I have to wonder whether ppl would have preferred for her character to die than to get something off her chest

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 6:20 pm  #139

Really, how low do some sections of the fandom have to stoop?
Like Amanda, Loo is lovely and so good to the fans.
These people really need to grow up!

January 17, 2017 6:28 pm  #140

There is so much negativity now that I just hope Mark, Loo, Arwel and the others can cope with it. I'm completely unprepaired for such negativity but then, I haven't been on twitter or tumblr or anything before the last week.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

Board footera