BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2016 5:48 pm  #4161

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Vhanja wrote:

I'm wondering if her past will only be swept under the rug, or if we will learn more about it.

At the moment I expect the former. If you think of it, the Mofftiss never dealt with their cliffhangers too long.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 19, 2016 5:52 pm  #4162

This depends on what they view as the cliffhanger - Moriarty or Mary. Since the key word for series 4 is "consequences", I am quite sure that something will come up. Not necessarily a detailed explanation, but something or someone from her past catching up with her. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 19, 2016 5:55 pm  #4163

Yes, with S 1, they didn't know if thy were getting a second series, so they went for an open cliffhanger...at least in that they hadn't a clue how to resolve it!
S 2&3 were negotiated together, hence them being able to address the cliffhanger how they chose. Even though that seemed to mean( actually like me) that they weren't really bothered in accurately showing how Sherlock survived the Fall.
I believe S 4 &5 have also been commissioned together...what this tells us about links between them, I don't know.
But anyhow sorry, getting back to Mary: we possibly have more info about her from TAB...
But as we don't know what the S 4 cliffhanger is going to be, it's still a bit up in the air.

EDIT: we cross posted.
I think the consequences could be for both Mary and Moriarty: her departure and his legacy.

Last edited by besleybean (June 19, 2016 5:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2016 3:42 pm  #4164

One interesting little detail from the Comic con panel that I don't think has been discussed. And I'm putting it in this thread because this is where we've discussed this issue the most (I think).

Amanda explicitly stated that John did in fact NOT read the USB. Considering how she - and everybody else - is very hush-hush about most things that they are not allowed to talk about (understandably), she was quite open about this one. (And no one joked it away, as they seem to do if they get close to something we shouldn't know yet). 

She said it was part of hic character trait, which does in a way make sense. I am also in a way glad that this was his decision, and his decision alone. Previously, it seems that Sherlock or Mary has more or less steamrolled over him and told him what to say (or not say), and what to think or believe. I am glad if this is a decision he made on his own, without anyone else telling him what he should do.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 3:46 pm  #4165

Yes, I never really thought we would come back to that. But I'm rather disappointed hearing that. It really diminishes the morally strong character that they have built in the former seasons. But maybe that is just me.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 25, 2016 3:51 pm  #4166

Amanda explicitly said that this would fit John's morals... well, that's debatable, if you ask me. Just like you, mrshouse, I don't like the idea of John not reading the USB at all. But I suppose it's highly likely that we're not going back there again anyway, so we won't get an 'official canon' for that.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 25, 2016 3:52 pm  #4167

I see it the other way around. It's part of his moral stand not to pry, and not to judge her from her past. (After all, he was in the war - he has probably done some rather horrible things himself). Instead, he decided to judge her based on the present and the two of them together, draw a line over a past that no one can do anything about now anyway and start again.

Whether we agree with such a way of thinking or not, I do see it as quite fitting for his character. John might be morally strong, but he is far from a saint. This is a man who shot an old man in the first episode, who couldn't tell his girlfriends apart and who hit a police super intendent for calling Sherlock a "weirdo" (which is not particularly rude, compared to what other people - John included - have said about Sherlock).

I think John comes across as morally strong because he is compared to Sherlock, who is... well, slightly off-kilter moral-wise when we first meet him. But John is certainly not an angel himself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 3:56 pm  #4168

I don't really get how it fits his morals? Seriously and in in all curiosity? Is that the John Watson shouting at Irene for letting Sherlock believe she was dead? It's an act of deliberately ignoring nasty things and not daring facing the consequences of knowing. Plus it probably would make the forgivenes scene even harder to understand.

Last edited by mrshouse (July 25, 2016 3:58 pm)

July 25, 2016 4:03 pm  #4169

Vhanja wrote:

I see it the other way around. It's part of his moral stand not to pry, and not to judge her from her past. (After all, he was in the war - he has probably done some rather horrible things himself). Instead, he decided to judge her based on the present and the two of them together, draw a line over a past that no one can do anything about now anyway and start again.

Whether we agree with such a way of thinking or not, I do see it as quite fitting for his character. John might be morally strong, but he is far from a saint. This is a man who shot an old man in the first episode, who couldn't tell his girlfriends apart and who hit a police super intendent for calling Sherlock a "weirdo" (which is not particularly rude, compared to what other people - John included - have said about Sherlock).

I think John comes across as morally strong because he is compared to Sherlock, who is... well, slightly off-kilter moral-wise when we first meet him. But John is certainly not an angel himself.

We cross-posted.
The thing that does not sit right with me, Vhanja, is that it's not only about judging about the past, but very much about what she did in the present. And I will not go into the territory of distinguishing assasins and soldiers, we've been on that very often already.
Don't get me wrong, I know nobody on this show is an angel but the motives and the shooting victims are the key here.

July 25, 2016 4:03 pm  #4170

Well, again I will withhold judgement until we see S4 and see what really happens. But if that is what it is, I don't really have a problem with it.

As I see it, John shouts as Irene because he can see that her behaviour is hurting Sherlock. He is protecting Sherlock, which is what he has done from the very first episode. However, there is nothing he can do about whomever Mary has hurt or killed in the past. 

And we don't know if he decided not to look at it because he didn't dare to. Whatever we can say about John Watson, he sure seems like a brave man. I don't think fear was what held him back.

(Maybe I should've put this in the John thread instead).

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 4:08 pm  #4171

In my opinion reading the USB isn't about judging Mary because of her past. I know it's not popular to talk about realism in connection with a show like "Sherlock", but I find it highly, highly unrealistic that someone who is in a situation that John's in in HLV would decide that no, he doesn't need to know about the previous life of the woman he married and who's pregnant with his child. Apart from the fact that John is solving crimes with Sherlock and therefore certainly posesses a certain kind of curiosity when it comes to other people's lives and motivations, this AGRA business is personal. Am I really supposed to believe that he really doesn't want or need to know? How can you spend your life with a person you don't really know anything about? Sorry, but morals or no morals, John would really have to be a true angel if he were just able to ignore all this.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 25, 2016 4:12 pm  #4172

I actually think it's very realistic.  He thought it over and evidently thinks that the best way to have a future with Mary is leaving the past behind, like she planned on doing.  It entirely depends on a person's personality how they decide these type of things.  If he feels he can deal with it easier not knowing the details of what she has done in her past life, he might very well decide to leave it alone and not read through those documents...

I lost count

July 25, 2016 4:13 pm  #4173

To be honest, my first reaction when he said that he hadn't read it, was disappointment. Not for the character of John, but because I feel it's more of a clichè thing when it comes to writing. 

And I will still remain a bit on the fence until we see what happens in S4 (which seems to be quite a lot). But at the end of the day, if this ends up being John's decision, I'm fine with it.

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 4:18 pm  #4174

I would be much more happy if it had been his decision to be on Sherlock's side of the story.

July 25, 2016 4:19 pm  #4175

Sherlock is the one pushing John towards Mary, so by forgiving her, he is definitly on Sherlock's side.

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 4:20 pm  #4176

And that is more of the quirky part...

July 25, 2016 4:21 pm  #4177

I missed that, Vhanja, so thanks very much for posting it! 

I think I can see what Amanda means.  I've always thought it was possible that John didn't read it.   We've seen him almost blindly trust Sherlock, despite evidence stacking up against him, despite a confession, even, John never really doubts him. I'm sometimes struck by how very little John knows of what's going on, and yet he doesn't seem to need to know.   I think he judges people on gut feeling.  He had a gut feeling about Sherlock when they met, and perhaps he has something similar about Mary, rightly or wrongly.   I think it's more difficult for us, because WE know that Sherlock's OK and John's faith is justified, but we don't know that with Mary.  There are lots of hints that he may have misjudged, but I can see why he would do that. 

This fact seems to strongly indicate that John is being sincere with Mary at Christmas. 

July 25, 2016 4:40 pm  #4178

I have the strong feeling we need a Mary thread with a spoiler warning. Or is this just me? I honestly feel that I cannot continue the discussion on the basis of S3 and TAB alone. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 25, 2016 4:43 pm  #4179

I agree, Liberty. I get the same impression - John doesn't have the cold, calculating side that Sherlock and Mary has. Or, at least, that isn't what he base his own decisions on. Look at ASiP - he is being warned several times against Sherlock, but still he stays. Which tells me he thrust his own gut instinct more than what other people tell him. 

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 4:55 pm  #4180

mrshouse wrote:

Yes, I never really thought we would come back to that. But I'm rather disappointed hearing that. It really diminishes the morally strong character that they have built in the former seasons. But maybe that is just me.

I agree. It's not just you. :-)

Board footera