BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2016 9:41 pm  #2

Re: Coke addict??

I always thought the 'cocaine' described in the canon sounded much more like heroin to me, tbqh. Cocaine brings you up and makes you active and alert, it doesn't send you into a doped up stupor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 11, 2016 10:20 pm  #3

Well, we don't know how well Doyle was familiar with drugs and their effects.  Also, we know that not only did Holmes use morphine or cocaine, but if I recall correctly he would also use a combination.  And when Holmes takes the drugs in The Sign of the Four, he says it's because he needs his brain to be occupied and can't have nothing to do, so the drug is a substitute for when he has no work.  If cocaine makes you alert, that seems like it would occupy his mind, then, make it race like when he's working.

Clueing for looks.

June 13, 2016 12:57 pm  #4

Doyle was a doctor and so he knew the effects of drugs quite well, I presume.

I think - from the way he describes Sherlock´s languid behaviour after taking drugs - that the apathy was rather the bleak reaction that settled over Sherlock as a result of the fading high then "the drug induced stupor".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera