BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2016 1:23 pm  #2101

Re: Free Rants

Ha that's good news that they're fixing the lifts!
And, well, you really don't need to feel bad, it's part of their job to make sure the customer's happy, otherwise it's a loss for the company.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 22, 2016 4:17 pm  #2102

@phantom: I totally understand you. At least there should have been a notice with a big apology and a date when it will be fixed (preferably very soon). (And definitely a phone number or else for wheelchair users to ask for help.) Don't feel bad. In your case, I would also have complained.

Now, compared to your condition, I shouldn't even complain...
caught a cold that decided to stick for three weeks now. I enjoy the attention I get from people looking worridly at me in the street and the lack of proper sleep. Not. And I'm fed up with sitting around, but my head is like jellygumthings, so nothing productive gets done. And I'm taking like everything that could help but nothing does... How do people do this. I'm like Sherlock in any fanfic - totally useless patient, and terribly grumpy :-/
(I'm even watching Germanys next top model and worried I will watch the Bachelor next, or even switch on RTL during the day... oh nooo. Germans will know what I'm talking about... killing brain cells systematically...)

Last edited by Whisky (April 22, 2016 4:22 pm)

"It is what it is."

April 22, 2016 4:24 pm  #2103

Aw, I hope you feel better soon, Whisky! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 22, 2016 4:47 pm  #2104

I hope you feel better soon, Whisky, with no more Gummibärchen brain (I think that's the word). Being sick sucks. Even if it's mindless entertainment, at least watching TV is a way to rest.

Clueing for looks.

April 26, 2016 5:42 am  #2105

Uck... sympathize!  With lethargy and things working right.  Hope better soon!

Speaking of things working 'right', I feel like this is kinda a silly/shallow thing, but know I'm not the only one who's sometimes fed up with websites having to still 'tweak' things that don't need tweaked to constantly be 'making it better' (Facebook, I'm looking at you).  I guess it's sometimes for cross-compatibility or features people ask for?  Ok.  But sometimes it's just stuff for aggravating trends of algorithms and such to calculate what you browse, where your info is, stuff you like or ways people use the site (or how they think we want to use the site).
A few months back, Twitter was guilty of that... some updates for mobile/system compatibility left those of us with quite old browsers (like me, since my computer is old) in the dust and now instead of the nice regular site was used to, can only view the website stripped-down 'mobile' version.  Gah. 

And apparently Google is doing the same with their Picasa site.  Does anyone here also use?  Rather than just a vent, was also curious to see if/how anyone else learned to tweak theirs, is all.  I'm not the type to use an online photo storage like a visual 'online album' with large pictures and 'shared groups'.  I more use it as storage for all my digitized family pics, and pics for the forum, where I liked having small thumbnails and a plainer page setup to just browse, organize, and link to.  Now, they've consolidated it with their 'Photos' service (i.e. the 'online albums' thing), and I can find no way to shrink my thumbnails down again so I don't have to stupidly scroll forever through these larger pics just to get to the one that I want!  Gah...  'new and improved', huh? 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 26, 2016 5:49 am  #2106

I don't even  know what tweak means / is.

Now I feel old ... :-p

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 26, 2016 5:51 am  #2107

It just means to make a small change, ostensibly to improve something...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 26, 2016 2:19 pm  #2108

Thanks. Yes, gummibärchen brain is a fitting word!

Yes, I think changing little things is for compatibility reasons mainly. I think it's their need to stay up to date, which for them is more important than to think about users who don't update to every little new thing there is or use older devices or just like the old interface. If it annoys users, it's definitely not very clever what they're doing   But then again, I don't know much about programming. Guess they cannot make it work for everyone.
Also, often I think they want to force users to update, in making the use of older devices/browser versions etc etc less comfortable. Or it's a design thing. I feel like design is really important nowadays. Everything has to look modern, apparently.

Last edited by Whisky (April 26, 2016 2:23 pm)

"It is what it is."

May 19, 2016 11:44 am  #2109

Updates of Apps, Facebook etc. seem to invariably lead to the whole experience being even more **** than before (please feel free to fill in the gap with a suitable adjective).  . I have two business pages on Facebook, one of which has over 5,000 likes. Oftentimes my posts are reaching as little as 200 people or less!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2016 11:52 am  #2110

Sherlock was on yesterday night -His Last Vow.
Dubbed (even though the voices are ok, it cannot compare, far from it, to the original).
When Mycroft says "You know what happened to the other one" the translator chose to have Mycroft say "vous savez ce qui est arrivé à notre aîné" (you know what happened to the eldest).

Given that this particular line has raised endless debates on its actual meaning, I find it offhand of them to have translated like that. As if they knew what was it actually meant.

And now I wonder. Do the translators of TV series know what happens next so they can give the best possible translation?

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 19, 2016 1:28 pm  #2111

That's interesting, certainly surprising. I would have expected "Vous savez ce qui s'est passé â l'autre" or somethimg like that.
Personally, I doubt they would be privy to any kind of "special" information.
In translating for a dub, they would not only have to preserve the meaning of what was said in the original English, but also how much the characters' mouths move. If there is more than one possible way of translating it (and there pretty much always is), they have to pick the one they feel works best. Different languages can also be more implicit about different things in different ways. Since fans have speculated that the "other one" was a brother we, as the audience, have yet to know about, it is probably the case that the translators also felt that was implied in what Mycroft was saying. They might have thought a more literal or direct translation would be too vague in French, though time will tell (hopefully) whether their assumption was correct or not.

Clueing for looks.

May 20, 2016 9:08 am  #2112

Yeah...Still, that's unprofessional to make such a decision, I think.

Watched TAB yesterday evening -so far, nothing out of the ordinary. In French, because Mum wanted to watch it as well and understand what was happening.
Now, we all know that the episode doesn't *really* take place in the 19th century. But we do get a strong 19th century vibe, don't we?
Well, not in the French dub. At all. That's extremely disappointing and more than a bit not good. Maybe they think that if they use too 'old', refined words, the French audience will not understand...But the general audience who watches Sherlock is not average, is it? They should have stuck more closely to the words, I think. There was a real gap here between 19th century setting and the words that were too modern.

May 20, 2016 9:27 am  #2113

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=517&p=1
See also this thread: Sherlock dubbed versions

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 20, 2016 10:27 am  #2114

Oh sorry, I hadn't seen it.

I needed to vent, but now that it's done, I'll go over there and have a more settled discussion about the topic.
Thanks

May 20, 2016 10:29 am  #2115

Oh, you can vent here about everything you like. But have a look at the thread, I just posted an interesting link about Sherlock translations. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 23, 2016 6:32 pm  #2116

This isn't really a rant, but it's not good news or chit-chat either.
I have been feeling kind of funny, emotionally, for the last day or so.
Maybe it's because it's been busy around my house, renovations finishing and helping my mum get ready for her trip at the same time. I thought things were OK, but even though she left yesterday I still feel really sad that she is not around. I have never been this sad about it before. Even though it was exciting and fun to talk to her about what she was going to be doing, all afternoon yesterday and even a little bit today, I wish she had not gone. And I feel fragile. The littlest thing I read in the newspaper, which wasn't even that sad it was just a little unfortunate, made me cry. It wouldn't have made me cry normally.
And I feel like a pathetic friend. When I'm at university I miss my friends, but now that I'm home I am hesitant to contact them if they want to get together and do anything. I am contacting them right now, but some of them are busy and I feel silly for not asking them sooner since I have already been home for a month. I justify my waiting with the busy-ness, but it doesn't seem like enough. I'm scared of losing touch with them, but it's getting harder. A couple of them have summer jobs in the cities where their universities are, far away from here.
And I don't hate them for it, but I hate that it's so hard and I wish I was better at not letting time slip through my fingers.

Clueing for looks.

May 23, 2016 8:09 pm  #2117

I just want to give you a big *hug*

Hope you feel better about it all soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 23, 2016 8:47 pm  #2118

Thanks.  I hope so, too.

Clueing for looks.

May 25, 2016 4:09 pm  #2119

My best friend is having a discussion with her boyfriend... and is complaining to me... most of it is taking place on facebook and I can follow it. 

The problem? My friend shared a video about how men should stop saying women are always 'emotional or crazy'... 

Well, somehow it turned into him saying that women in the western world were not being discriminated or oppressed... as in not one woman. 

Uhm. That's a nice thing to believe... 

I have been through a lot in my life, much, much more than my friend knows, and I know that he is wrong... but yeah, I can't really jump in there. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

May 25, 2016 10:50 pm  #2120

I know what you mean. I have overheard conversations where I want to chime in or correct someone but didn't because I would have been barging into a conversation I wasn't supposed to be a part of.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera