BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2016 8:11 pm  #1

The Hour

So maybe call me mad to watch a show that has been cancelled after two series and therefore has no real end. I still watched it and was not disappointed. This is BBC at its best - brilliant acting, lovely period recreation, great writing. I will never understand why they did not produce a third series and tied up the lose ends. What a waste. So if you get the chance to watch it, have a go. Series 2 is even better than the first. 

Kudos to Romola Garai, Ben Whishaw, Dominic West, Anna Chancellor, Peter Capaldi, Oona Chaplin, and the whole wonderful team of actors. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 19, 2016 8:40 pm  #2

Re: The Hour

What a cast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 19, 2016 8:50 pm  #3

Yes, amazing. And the 1950s atmosphere with Cold War and nuclear threats and seedy night-life - just wonderful. I truly have no idea why they did not make a trilogy of it. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 19, 2016 8:51 pm  #4

I seem to remember wanting to see this, but somehow missing it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 19, 2016 11:30 pm  #5

I remember first reading about it when I first became mad for Ben Whishaw after seeing Skyfall.  A friend of mine, I think, started watching it, but I don't know if she ever finished it.  I remember wanting to check it out, but had no means at the time.  I will have to check Netflix for it, now that I have it, or my library if it's not on there.  I had forgotten about it, but I will watch it if I can.

Clueing for looks.

May 20, 2016 7:23 am  #6

Yes, do it. And if you are mad for Ben Whishaw this is the very thing for you. He is beautiful in it (and the acting is not bad either). 

May 20, 2016 3:39 pm  #7

Well then I'll have to see it...l love me a bit of Ben W!

May 20, 2016 9:43 pm  #8

Yup.
I have only seen the first episode, but Andrew Scott appeared in the show, too. I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I gasped in excitement when I saw him.

Clueing for looks.

May 20, 2016 9:47 pm  #9

Heck and I forgot that...
Hate to mention this(as the UK site didn't have may left!), but I did look on Amazon and they have the dvds quite cheap.

June 17, 2016 7:59 pm  #10

I think I made a thread about this ages ago...but anyhow...yes it is utterly amazing isn't it! How? Why? The BBC cancelled I cannot comprehend. The ratings may not have been high enough but I think their promoting was just appalling frankly. Amazingly written. Amazingly acted and wonderful cast. The style concept is perfect. The costumes divine. I am still devastated that they cancelled this absolute gem of a series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2016 8:22 pm  #11

It's now sitting on my shelf, waiting to be watched!

June 17, 2016 10:14 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

I think I made a thread about this ages ago...but anyhow...yes it is utterly amazing isn't it! How? Why? The BBC cancelled I cannot comprehend. The ratings may not have been high enough but I think their promoting was just appalling frankly. Amazingly written. Amazingly acted and wonderful cast. The style concept is perfect. The costumes divine. I am still devastated that they cancelled this absolute gem of a series.

I looked for a thread but could not find one. I seemed to remember you had written about it some time ago. 

Hope you like it, besley. 

June 19, 2016 8:51 am  #13

It was probably hidden within another. I was gutted when I realised it had been cancelled as I had just stumbled across it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera