BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2012 11:36 am  #1

Benedict's voice

I'm sorry, I can't help it. We talk a lot about his voice but... no post about it? Oh well, I had to fix that.
The most hypnotic voice I've heard since Alan Rickman's.

I've lost count of how many times I've listened to this.

Enjoy 

Last edited by Irene_Adler (March 26, 2012 12:05 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 26, 2012 11:45 am  #2

Re: Benedict's voice

Irene, that's absolutely beautiful! Thank you, just right for my lunch break.
Yeah, let's have a whole thread dedicated to beautiful voices!
They dub everything in Germany. Normally they do a great job, but once in a while it's a pity.

March 26, 2012 11:53 am  #3

God, his voice is awesome! enchanted me in split of second..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 26, 2012 12:04 pm  #4

Glad you liked it. I'm completely in love with his voice. He is a quite handsome man and all that, but it's his voice that fascinates me. And he knows how to use it. I think I could listen to him reading the phone book and I still would love it...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 26, 2012 12:12 pm  #5

Whilst not trying to ruin this thread you do remind me of an interesting question I have.

After watching several of Ben's films, I detect a correct lisp in his speech. Obviously he's worked on it, it's not a bad thing but definitely there. I wonder if there have been any references to it other than the very occasional one in blogs and tumblr sites?
In "The Last Enemy" blooper video its obvious, start at around 2 mins

You can hear it sneak into his speech when he's 'on a roll' explaining something. You can also hear the mumbling that drives me nuts, especially in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_AlQ_Kzdjo  if the link doesn't work .. grrr

So I agree, he possesses a beautiful voice & those little quirks creep in from time to time just to make it a more endearing voice.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 26, 2012 12:12 pm  #6

Same with me, he could read the phonebook or whatever.... That's why I only became a real fan, just like toberornot221b, after I got the dvd's in original language. I liked Sherlock before, but the voice got me.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 26, 2012 12:19 pm)

March 26, 2012 2:27 pm  #7

You're right about the mumbling, Kazza, it drives me mad when I watch to interviews without subtitles... sometimes it's difficult for me to understand what he is saying.
Anyway, phone book, mumbling, speaking elvish or whatever, it's an amazing sound. I live surrounded by beautiful sounds, I work with them, but oh my God this is... just... oh, well... you know 

March 26, 2012 3:56 pm  #8

lol, someone must ask him to repeat / remind him not mumbling :D (am I dare to ask him? XDDD)

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 26, 2012 4:18 pm  #9

This voice of his makes up for any cosy shock blanket!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 26, 2012 4:49 pm  #10

You mean cothy shock blanket!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 26, 2012 5:23 pm  #11

Irene, Sherlock, or Ben for that matter, speaking elvish - now that brilliant thought has never crossed my mind. We should contact his agent. Tolkien wrote many elvish poems. How about the song of Beren and LuthienTinuviel? Though the elvish telephone book might be fine, too. My elvish is not THAT good. Mumblings would go undetected.

March 26, 2012 5:31 pm  #12

Unfortunately neither Smaug nor the Necromancer are likely to speak the elven tongue.
I still swoon over Viggo Mortensen's fluent elvish.

March 26, 2012 7:52 pm  #13

sherlocked wrote:

Irene, Sherlock, or Ben for that matter, speaking elvish - now that brilliant thought has never crossed my mind. We should contact his agent. Tolkien wrote many elvish poems. How about the song of Beren and LuthienTinuviel? Though the elvish telephone book might be fine, too. My elvish is not THAT good. Mumblings would go undetected.

sherlocked wrote:

Unfortunately neither Smaug nor the Necromancer are likely to speak the elven tongue.
I still swoon over Viggo Mortensen's fluent elvish.

Oh, yes, I think we need to contact his agent... that would be a true eargasm. Really. I could really faint. Or whatever...  . Viggo did it greatly, but I think Benedict would just do it perfect. By the way, what a man is Viggo Mortensen. Not only handsome and talented, a really nice and kind man.
The Necromancer I suppose will speak the language of Mordor... pretty sexy, anyway. And Smaug I guess will speak a perfect English. I'm really looking forward to watch this, but I'm afraid we will have to wait for it longer than we have to wait for Sherlock. Probably December 2013. Unless they release something in Peter Jackson's video-blog or something.

April 10, 2012 11:51 am  #14

If he had only said "obviously " or "turn to page three hundred and ninety four" this would have been complete perfection.
Anyway, pretty funny 

April 10, 2012 1:13 pm  #15

Thanks, Irene, Ben is good at doing Rickman, though I have to say, that Rickman is doing better as himself, lol!
Here's a clip for those interested in Ben's 'Star trek' work. He's stepping into the shoes of the great Ricardo Montalban, whose most celebrated role was Khan in one of the early 'Star Trek' episodes and later in the film 'The Wrath of Khan'. He's considered to be one of the greatest movie villains. The maker of this clip called it 'Through the eyes of Khan'. I would have called it 'Through the voice of Khan'.

http://youtu.be/xPBWodbk3YY

April 10, 2012 1:50 pm  #16

sherlocked wrote:

Thanks, Irene, Ben is good at doing Rickman, though I have to say, that Rickman is doing better as himself, lol!

Obviously... 
Ben is great, but still far away from Alan Awesome Rickman. I love him.

About your video, I can see now what a good choice has been casting Ben for this role... thanks!

April 11, 2012 3:24 am  #17

Do we know he's playing Khan? I didn't think he was. They've given the impression he's a whole new villain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 11, 2012 6:43 am  #18

As I have understood the information, he's playing Khan like from a parallel universe, since the original Khan story leaves no room for a prequel. As Khan tells in the clip, I posted, he and his crew got frozen and sent into space in 1995; Kirk found and defrosted them 200 years later and marooned them on the planet Ceti Alpha 5. That's where the movie 'Wrath of Khan' picks up, which ends with Khan's death. The makers of the new movie said, that Khan was the most formidable enemy, the Enterprise crew ever had, an arch enemy, so to speak, and he must always exist somewhere. Sounds a bit, as if they want to cash in on the popularity of Khan, and the concept of an arch enemy is not only savoured by Sherlock and his fans.

June 8, 2012 4:56 am  #19

how funny. i think ben sounds more like alan rickman when he's not doing an impression.

can't wait to see him in star trek! i also heard that it wasn't khan he'd be playing, but that it was someone fans of the original series will recognize. they really like to keep the fans guessing!

June 8, 2012 7:33 am  #20

Simon Pegg (Scotty) said explicitly in a television interview earlier this week (or more likely the end of last week) that Benedict wasn't playing Khan. Could have been on the one show and may still be available on iplayer.

Board footera