BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2016 8:27 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock and Stockholm Syndrome

kgreen20 wrote:

No, he's not, and I agree with Vhanja.

Could you please add phrases like "I think" or "in my opinion" when you state something like that? Because really, you don't know. You are surely absolutely sure but unless you are a member of the production team you don't know for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 11, 2016 9:26 pm  #22

Vhanja wrote:

I feel the wording in this thread is a bit too strong for what we are seeing in the show. I don't think neither "Stockholm syndrome", "abuser" nor "hostage" are terms that fit these things in the show. These are strong words with quite dramatic and horrible connotations that I don't think should be used lightly.

Well, many abusers merely abuse their victims with words, by belittling and harassing them, but without actually touching them... that still does not absolve them of being called abusers.
Mary actually shot Sherlock, gravely injuring him and sending him into clinical death for a while. This, in my eyes, is the highest form of abuse and therefore I thought the term is quite fitting here.
But of course, your milleage may wary.

And I think, it was obvious from my previous post (and the Raven´s original post) that we use the term "hostage" metaphorically, to describe Sherlock´s hopeless situation from which there is no way out.
We really didn´t mean Mary has him tied up in a cellar, or anything like that. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 12, 2016 5:33 am  #23

That doesn't help me accept the premise at all.
In the show we are presented with recognisably real, flesh and blood and strong characters: intelligent and perfectly capable of making their own free decisions.
They do not belong to some kind of a cult and none of them are so weak that they can't look after themselves.
I give them much more credit than that.
Mary made one mistake, for which she has been forgiven.
Sherlock has the potential to squash anybody, he doesn't because he cares.
I trust his choices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2016 6:49 am  #24

I think that if the situation just after the shooting had continued, with Mary having threatened Sherlock to keep quiet on fear of death, then that would have fitted the hostage/abuse scenario more.  But after that, the threat is gone, and I think Sherlock does not feel controlled by Mary.  (In fact, at that point she's the one who is relying on him to sort out Magnussen, and Sherlock is the one holding her information and with power over her). 

Last edited by Liberty (May 12, 2016 4:32 pm)

May 12, 2016 7:47 am  #25

I agree with besley and Liberty. I don't feel those terms can be applied to what we are seeing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 11:18 am  #26

(not a useful comment, but there you go : I like the subject discussed here, very much so. And I like /how/ it is developed, I'm having great pleasure in reading you all)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera