BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2015 5:31 pm  #401

Re: Mary's Death

AA did say that she believed Mary would eventually die, but she never said WHEN she expected her to die.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 30, 2015 5:32 pm  #402

Actually we never learn how Mary Watson dies in Canon, we are not even explicitly told that she dies. It is heavily implied but we never get any information. 

And as much as I like some parentlock fics, I think this is not going to happen in the show. Btw, we have some threads about Baby Watson, maybe you want to have a look:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=186429#p186429
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5440

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2016 8:55 pm  #403

I think she has always been good. It's just that she probably had to infiltrate Moriarty's network as part of her job. She coincidentally got assigned John as a target but she fell in love. That's why she couldn't risk telling Holmes. I also think that she has worked/cooperated with MI6 given that she was able to access the records so swiftly in front of Mycroft. It may also explain why Mycroft did not go the wedding. He is always being watched. Sherlock is freelance, Mycroft is the British government. She will have to leave London with the baby upon realizing that they will never be safe alongside John and Sherlock. That's why there will be heartache. John will resent his relationship with Holmes. He will resent Mary for her past and they will be separated. Sherlock became a murdered to save Mary - he did it out of love and conviction. She will not die. He will save her again. And she is just too darned skilled to not make it out of London alive. This is not her first rodeo.

May 2, 2016 12:46 am  #404

All I want is for whatever happens to Mary NOT to be Sherlock's fault. I can't take another season of John murderously angry at Sherlock.....

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (May 2, 2016 5:39 am)

May 2, 2016 4:11 am  #405

sweetskates1 wrote:

I think she has always been good. It's just that she probably had to infiltrate Moriarty's network as part of her job. She coincidentally got assigned John as a target but she fell in love. That's why she couldn't risk telling Holmes. I also think that she has worked/cooperated with MI6 given that she was able to access the records so swiftly in front of Mycroft. It may also explain why Mycroft did not go the wedding. He is always being watched. Sherlock is freelance, Mycroft is the British government. She will have to leave London with the baby upon realizing that they will never be safe alongside John and Sherlock. That's why there will be heartache. John will resent his relationship with Holmes. He will resent Mary for her past and they will be separated. Sherlock became a murdered to save Mary - he did it out of love and conviction. She will not die. He will save her again. And she is just too darned skilled to not make it out of London alive. This is not her first rodeo.

Again, could you give some evidence for your ideas? Or are you writing about your head canon?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 2, 2016 7:14 am  #406

Well I think we have all been shown Mary is a tough cookie and the possibility her past will catch up with her.
But if she has to go, it may be nice if it's trying to protect John, for instance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2016 7:27 am  #407

HannahCumberbatch wrote:

Probably quite unlikely, but what if Mary was to die during childbirth - as if i have understood correctly happens in ACD's stories???? excuse me if I'm wrong but anyway... Sherlock and John could raise the kid together... that would be super sweet  AWHHH

No. it wouldn't. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 2, 2016 7:28 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 2, 2016 7:30 am  #408

We have no idea how Mary dies in Canon. It is never mentioned. Holmes just speaks of Watson's "sad bereavement". It is not clear if Watson marries again or has any children either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 2, 2016 4:35 pm  #409

Mattlocked wrote:

HannahCumberbatch wrote:

Probably quite unlikely, but what if Mary was to die during childbirth - as if i have understood correctly happens in ACD's stories???? excuse me if I'm wrong but anyway... Sherlock and John could raise the kid together... that would be super sweet  AWHHH

No. it wouldn't.

Depending on how it's written, that whole co-parenting thing can be a bit hard to swallow, even in fan fic. 

May 2, 2016 5:09 pm  #410

ancientsgate wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

HannahCumberbatch wrote:

No. it wouldn't.

Depending on how it's written, that whole co-parenting thing can be a bit hard to swallow, even in fan fic. 

I agree. And, actually-- that's not the show I signed up for...

May 2, 2016 5:50 pm  #411

Nor is it likely to be the show that Moffat and Gatiss will give us.  Which means that the baby will have to die with Mary, sad to say.  And I wouldn't be surprised if John didn't come close to dying himself as Sherlock did, although they won't kill him off for obvious reasons.

Last edited by kgreen20 (May 2, 2016 5:51 pm)

May 2, 2016 9:23 pm  #412

Question: what makes people so sure that Mary and the baby will die off the show at all? It's quite possible that they'll both stay on for the duration of the series. 

May 2, 2016 9:38 pm  #413

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

No. it wouldn't.

I agree. And, actually-- that's not the show I signed up for...

I watch a lot of American prime time dramas, some of them are in their 5th, 6th, 7th season, and as time goes by, sometimes the characters change at least a little bit, and relationships between them and others can change, big time.  Sometimes even the nature of the type of stories that are told can be changed.  I guess that can be one of the pitfalls of following multiple seasons of the same TV show. After that, it's our choice whether or not to continue watching. I have a few I've left behind, just couldn't stand them anymore. I don't foresee that happening with Sherlock, of course.

May 2, 2016 9:42 pm  #414

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Question: what makes people so sure that Mary and the baby will die off the show at all? It's quite possible that they'll both stay on for the duration of the series.

I agree.  I have no idea of the private, inner circle machinations of the Sherlock creative team; I don't follow it, it doesn't interest me, I have my own problems, you know?  But IMO (my two cents only), I think Mary will remain alive and a part of the show as long as AA wants the role.  Having now hired Martin's wife/partner, TPTB won't be just showing her the door. Again, my opinion only.  And if they want to get rid of the baby and keep Mary on, I just can't fathom how they can do that without alienating half of their female audience.  We'll see.

May 2, 2016 11:08 pm  #415

Sherlock is very different from most American network dramas, TPTB are not trying to fill 20-24 hour long episodes ever year!  This is a decided advantage.  When you have that many hours to fill and less than 12 months between seasons it's easy to run out of ideas and run off in wild directions.

We joke about our long waits in this fandom and only getting 3 episodes at a time, but in the long run we should be thankful for this.  We are honestly getting quality over quantity.  The creators have a game plan.  they know where they want their story to go.  So many regular dramas will go on season after season, milking the stories for as long as possible.  I believe M & G have an end game.  Don't know if it will be 5 seasons total, or maybe 6 or 7.  But they know where they are going.  They also have a track record for making the most of a limited time frame.  They pack as much story into every 90 minutes as they can.  They don't waste time.

This is one of the main reasons I don't see Mary and the baby becoming a permanent part of the show.  TPTB don't have hours and hours of time that they are required to fill with something.  They don't need lots of wacky side characters and subplots.  They have also told us repeatedly that this is the Sherlock and John show.  These two men are the only characters required to make it to the end of the series.

And because I feel like I have to say it, this has nothing to do with johnlock.  All of my beliefs still work even if Sherlock and John are left at the end of everything as history's greatest friends.  So I"m sticking with this concept until proven unequivocally wrong.

My Five Cents, minus tax.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 2, 2016 11:58 pm  #416

I'm having trouble believing that Mofftiss plans every detail out, when Mark Gatiss candidly admits that he wrote himself into a corner with the baby-plot-device.

May 2, 2016 11:59 pm  #417

Everyone makes mistakes.  

Having a game plan does not necessarily mean they've hammered out every detail.  But I do believe they have a working outline for the whole series with some flexibility built in.

Last edited by tonnaree (May 3, 2016 12:00 am)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 3, 2016 12:56 am  #418

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Because that's what happened to Mary in canon, just as ACD Sherlock went through the hiatus in canon.  And while Moffat and Gatiss have not followed canon to the letter (for example, John and Mary meet long before Sherlock's hiatus in canon, not while he's supposedly dead), they have honored it so far.

May 3, 2016 2:18 am  #419

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'm having trouble believing that Mofftiss plans every detail out, when Mark Gatiss candidly admits that he wrote himself into a corner with the baby-plot-device.

Right. I feel the same way, I definitely have not drunk the Kool-Aid where it comes to MG et al.  But I'm extremely hard on writers, especially TV and movie writers, so maybe there's no pleasing me, who knows.

May 3, 2016 4:05 am  #420

kgreen20 wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Because that's what happened to Mary in canon, just as ACD Sherlock went through the hiatus in canon.  And while Moffat and Gatiss have not followed canon to the letter (for example, John and Mary meet long before Sherlock's hiatus in canon, not while he's supposedly dead), they have honored it so far.

They also contend that there's nothing in canon that says she actually dies.

Board footera