BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2016 11:20 pm  #1

London

I love and miss London. That's why I'm always interested to read articles like this one.
http://mashable.com/2016/04/06/crystal-palace-subway-reopen-london
Such a beautiful hidden gem, I hope it will be open to the public again soon!

Please use this thread to post anything and everything about the beautiful city of London: photos, videos, articles, books, upcoming events, sketches, blogs, memories etc. 

Last edited by ukaunz (April 6, 2016 11:23 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 7, 2016 12:30 am  #2

Re: London

Like this 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 7, 2016 1:45 pm  #3

Inner and Middle Temple, London. One of the most beautiful parts of an old town, named after Knights Templar, currently full of learned lawyers.

Entrance from a Fleet Street:

Charming Inner Temple Lane:

Old Temple:

Charming gardens and courts:

King´s Bench Walk, a seat of a famous detective Dr. John Thorndyke:

Last edited by nakahara (April 7, 2016 1:46 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 7, 2016 1:55 pm  #4

More lovely examples of beauty of Middle Temple:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 7, 2016 2:27 pm  #5

I want to go back so badly. I think I lost my heart there. Such a beautiful place! 
And nice people as well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 7, 2016 3:48 pm  #6

Beautiful pictures - and not everyday's tourist's view 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 7, 2016 3:58 pm  #7

Two Doctors riding a London bus.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 7, 2016 9:45 pm  #8

LOL, how come they are two? One is real and one is a clone? 

April 7, 2016 9:57 pm  #9

Lincon´s Inn is a picturesque area right in the vicinity of Inner Temple and Middle Temple, still a part of "Legal London":

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Gateway_to_Lincoln's_Inn,_off_Lincoln's_Inn.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Lincoln's_Inn_Gate.jpg[/img]

April 7, 2016 10:10 pm  #10

So beautiful! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 8, 2016 6:35 am  #11

Lovely pictures, Nakahara!  I'm only a couple of hours away so can get there and back in a day - it's kind of expensive to go but I'm thinking of another trip (last was for Hamlet, like most of you!). 

April 8, 2016 7:07 am  #12

nakahara wrote:

Nothing is as it seems.

That photo rings a bell, Solar.

And great photos, nakahara. Have to take notes for my next trip to London.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 8, 2016 7:43 am  #13

I got back from London about 9 hours ago, just discovered this thread and now I'm feeling sad at my loss!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 8, 2016 8:00 am  #14

gently69 wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Nothing is as it seems.
That photo rings a bell, Solar.

Oh, does it...?
And nakahara, I suppose the Doctor did a forbidden thing and travelled along his own personal time line and met himself. Could be dangerous.
Your pictures are beautiful, by the way.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 8, 2016 8:07 am  #15

Such lovely pics and a great idea for a thread. I would like to recommend a book I love very much. 

Peter Ackroyd, London. The Biography

It is a very selective and interesting history of the city, told not by a historian but a novelist. You will discover things you never knew and visit places next time you never expected to see. It is not a chronological history. Instead he has overall themes like rivers, crime, madness, entertainment, etc. and connects them over the centuries. 
There is another smaller book by him, London Under, which deals with the world under the metropolis. Fascinating. 
I can highly recommend both of them. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 8, 2016 8:26 am  #16

SolarSystem wrote:

Your pictures are beautiful, by the way.

These are not taken by me, of course (not much of a photographer, I´m afraid), but rather a collection gathered from the internet, of places in London I dream to visit one day.
So kudos to the skills of an original photographers, for capturing this beauty.

Hmmm, so that´s how it´s with the doctor. Cunning little rascal!

April 8, 2016 9:00 am  #17

Well, then I'd say: a very nice selection of pics from the internet, nakahara!
And yes, well... we all do have a soft spot for cunning little rascals, don't we?

edit: Susi, I think you mentioned the book before and I still haven't bought it. How is that possible? Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 8, 2016 9:02 am)

April 8, 2016 9:24 am  #18

This book is on my wishlist for my birthday. Will "offer" it to the family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 8, 2016 10:49 am  #19

Another place I definitely wish to see in London is its marvellous "Wetland Centre" placed in Richmond. The beautiful artificial "marsh country" in the heart of the sprawling megalopolis:

Last edited by nakahara (April 8, 2016 10:50 am)

April 8, 2016 12:49 pm  #20

I've been to Richmond, but not there.
I did go to a lovely wetland centre with my sister, in Essex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera