BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2014 5:59 pm  #1

After watching this a third time….

I have to admit that it is a good episode

Mind you, I don’t think it is among the best. There is Asian stereotyping that does make me squirm. There is also no Mycroft or Lestrade in it. Overall, I don’t think it contributes anything significant to the overall arc of the series.

However, it does have an entertaining plot. I liked idea of it involving a Chinese triad that smuggled priceless items. There was cipher mystery in it too (as any Holmesian can tell that it is inspired by “The Dancing Men”). Not to mention that it has plenty great “Sherlock and John” scenes such as John’s card not working at the grocery store, Sherlock not bothering to let John in when he gets into an apartment from the back balcony, or when John accidently gets busted for graffiti, just to name a few.

Also, I will state that I really did like Sarah. Not only did I find her attractive but I liked that she came to Sherlock’s rescue. I would not have minded if John had ended up with her instead of Mary in the series.

July 24, 2014 6:20 pm  #2

Re: After watching this a third time….

I actually find this episode is bursting with details that really give us some Sherlock back story about his days in uni. It's really clear that Sebastian is someone who meant something to him because his opinion still matters. We also learn that Sherlock has had his deductive reasoning skills since her was at least a young adult. Finally, he's not immune to barbs against him and can be hurt emotionally (we see this when John dismisses him as well as when Sebastian brings up how much Sherlock's schoolmates hated him).

This ep also sets up some fan fiction tropes (that he doesn't eat on cases) and busts others (that he's stoic when he's injured and/or facing death).

The most important thing this episode establishes is that Sherlock is most definitely not a sociopath. Watch how he treats Sarah after her near death experience at the end. It's how he treats Mrs. Hudson in SIB. He can care about someone he barely knows! I'm convinced this is because she saved his life. Instead of being dismissive of that, he shows her great kindness. Sarah was awesome!

I find the case interesting, even if the stereotypes abound. Sherlock and John are still getting to know each other, but are settling into a groove. I love how John gets the one up on Sherlock twice, first by using Van Coon's appointment book and then taking a photo of the graffiti!

John has my favourite quote of this ep (THEY'RE GIVING ME AN ASBO!) and is impossibly gorgeous and young looking in the interview scene. Sherlock also looks young in this ep and his jeans make me chuckle (they look starched, so what's the point?).

This ep is definitely a favourite of mine.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

March 23, 2016 6:40 pm  #3

I have to say I watched this one again today for the third time myself. I still can't quite get my head around it for some reason, it just fails to hold my attention and hence I struggle to follow it.

Last edited by Watson (March 23, 2016 6:40 pm)

March 24, 2016 1:40 pm  #4

I recently re-watched it after not having seen it for years, so it had a little bit the spirit of a first watch for me, which was both exciting and embarassing, as it's an episode of my favourite tv-show...
But what I really loved about it was the spirit of the episode. It's something I especially start to miss in the recent episodes: the atmosphere of the first two series. There's a certain tone to it and I guess it's got something to do with the relationship of the two, after the Fall and the two year pause caused by it it has changed. They're more close, more relying on each other because of course they know each other well. And Sherlock's changed as well, so I guess it's easier for John to handle it. Of course, that's only a very normal development, but still, I kind of miss the spirit of the first episodes.

In the earlier episodes like 'The Blind Banker', they are still struggling to get on and it's so much fun to see all those little details. We see how their friendship starts to take off, but still is difficult for both of them. It's so much fun to see how Sherlock is completely ignorant about John being arrested and has to attend court just because Sherlock has abandoned him there, Sherlock refusing to listening to John, who already has found the address Sherlock was looking for, or the entire 'I need you to maximize your visual memory'-part is just hilarious. Or John shouting at Sherlock who wouldn't open the door... :D

I have to admit, I still do not care much about the case, because it just feels very strange, but still I enjoyed the episode very much because it just feels so fresh and new and exciting. Having the boys rushing around and solving things is just something I love the most.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

Board footera