BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2016 1:57 pm  #1

Donald Trump

I know this is an unpleasant topic but I felt compelled to talk about it. I don’t know if anyone has been following US politics as of late but it appears that the celebrity-billionaire tycoon is getting closer to becoming the nominee for President.

The fact that he has made it this far is frightening. He is a loud narcissist who is openly racist, misogynistic, and fascistic. It’s as if he’s appealing to a silent majority who shares his horrible views. I know many people still see him as a joke but it is not amusing anymore since he stands the possibility of being in charge of the world’s sole superpower. I know we’ve had ridiculous presidents before (Reagan, Bush), but he is on a whole other level. I don’t know if our country we will be able to survive him if he gets elected.

March 7, 2016 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Donald Trump

*waving*     Another yank here.   The Donald is scary but I find his followers even more frightening.   The fact that people are actually taking him seriously and voting for him makes me sick.  I can't stand the vile and hateful things he says.

All I can do is remember that although he leads the race for the Republican nominee he is still behind in the overall race to the white house. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 7, 2016 2:22 pm  #3

I am not American but I can tell you that many people in Europe are worried about this development. I really, really hope that there are lots of sensible people like you, Democrats and responsible voters of the GOP alike, who are going to Trump him that this is not a way to make politics in one of the oldest democracies in the world. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2016 2:42 pm  #4

tonnaree wrote:

*waving*     Another yank here.   The Donald is scary but I find his followers even more frightening.   The fact that people are actually taking him seriously and voting for him makes me sick.  I can't stand the vile and hateful things he says.

All I can do is remember that although he leads the race for the Republican nominee he is still behind in the overall race to the white house. 

Yes, exactly! The fact that there are so many people who actually think he would make a good president is appalling and frightening.  And even the people who do support him give their reasons for supporting him, but those things aren't even true.  He's failed so many times in business, even if he has made a lot of money and become "rich and famous." What would he do to the U.S.?

I hope people with an actual grip on reality make sure that he doesn't become president, because that would be very scary.  I hope lots of young people feel compelled to get out there and vote.

Clueing for looks.

March 7, 2016 5:25 pm  #5

I was aware that he was around and, like many others, thought he was just a joke. When he got all that media attention and people actually started voting for him, I couldn't believe it.
The americans I know would never support s.o. like him, and I just wonder who these people are, or more like: what do they hope for? What agenda can they have? Are they desperate? Fed up? Are they just like him? Don't they know any better? What is in it for them?
Until now I was convinced they were a minority and in the end the sensible voices would win. Now I'm not sure anymore. We are deeply worried about it here, like Susi said already.

I remember what it was like when Bush was president. I never felt save. It was always like: please, don't do anything stupid, you've got far too much power for that. I know I'm more relaxed since Obama. It's not about agreeing with all things he does, but at least he doesn't seem like he would start a war over breakfast. I could imagine Trump doing just that.

"It is what it is."

March 7, 2016 6:12 pm  #6

I don't think you can escape the presidential campaign in the USA. Unfortunately it has an influence on world politics otherwise I would say well there's a big ocean between us (Europe) and the USA. But it doesn't work like that.

What can you say about Trump, I have moments when I'm not sure if I'm watching a satirical TV series or not. Or I think he will suddenly say "I was just joking and testing you". I didn't take him serious at the beginning.
I also went to psychology pages to find out what kind of mental disorder he has and how many.
In "heute" news they had a short interview with his eldest son who said that the Trumps believes in "breeding" so that just the best men and best women should reproduce with each other. In Germany we have a word for that from dark times "Herrenrasse" (I think it's translated master race)

Sometimes I find him dangerous because of his narcism and sometimes I find him ridiculous because of that. He is like a loose cannon. G.W. Bush was a risky choice because he's stupid as f*** and easily influenceable, what worked quite well didn't it.

I agree with you, tonnaree, the people who vote for him are the biggest problem.

I'm a big fan of satirical news shows, I love John Oliver and Stephen Colbert, but I wish Jon Stewart would still do the Daily Show, he was the best.

Btw. If you haven't seen it, this was pretty brilliant

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 7, 2016 7:54 pm  #7

A Trump presidency will be a disaster for the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 7, 2016 8:30 pm  #8

The Trump campaign is fueled by hate and fear.  The people who support him are afraid of anyone or anything that is not like themselves.  Most of them are white and male and fear not being the majority in our country any more.
Trump says all the things they are thinking.  Black people are lazy and live for government hand outs.  Mexicans are taking the jobs away from decent Americans.  All Muslims are terrorists and want to kill us.
Obama is not really American and is plotting against us.
These people are poorly educated and badly informed.  They can't understand anything beyond their own personal bubble of existence and refuse to even consider information that contradicts they're "beliefs."
It's insane.

Last edited by tonnaree (March 7, 2016 8:31 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 7, 2016 8:34 pm  #9

I like Obama and wish he could stay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 7, 2016 8:44 pm  #10

Trump doesn't scare me in himself, because crazy individuals will always exists. What scares me is that so many are supporting him and voting for him. I am unable to understand how that is possible. Sad to say, a lot of people I know (including me) find the US presidental campaigns to be a joke when people like him can get this far. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 7, 2016 10:43 pm  #11

Trust me I know how bad we look to the rest of the world.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 8, 2016 6:38 am  #12

Considering the government the UK has, we can hardly gloat...
In my defence, Scotland's hands are clean...we didn't vote them in.
What the heck is the matter with England?!

March 8, 2016 10:51 am  #13

Thanks Ivy for the video!

"It is what it is."

March 8, 2016 12:34 pm  #14

John Oliver is brilliant!

I do try personally to set a good example for my country on the internet.

I voted for Obama twice and would vote a third time if it were allowed.  In the primaries I am supporting Hillary, but I will vote for who ever gets the Democratic nomination in the general election.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 8, 2016 12:38 pm  #15

Vhanja wrote:

I know (including me) find the US presidental campaigns to be a joke when people like him can get this far. 

To be honest I find them strange in general. Does anyone in the USA understands this system? So much foreplay for presidential elections. Don't they have something else to do.

besleybean wrote:

Considering the government the UK has, we can hardly gloat...
In my defence, Scotland's hands are clean...we didn't vote them in.
What the heck is the matter with England?!

Agreed, David Cameron is ridculous. But not many people here can really gloat. (Here in Germany our Donald Trump is the AfD)

I like the Scots. And I know people make fun of your accent/dialect, but I find it quite cute.

----------

March 8, 2016 4:58 pm  #16

Well it's not my accent.
I'm English, but am just fortunate to live here.
But I speak the Scots language(as it is known! )reasonably well.

March 9, 2016 10:14 am  #17

Donald Trump is a dangerous man. He is a demagogue who plays to the various elements who have issues of various kinds. He keeps his language simple specifically to aim at the level at which most of these people operate. He plays on people's fears, xenophobia, racism and ignorance and he does it worryingly well. He offers great little sound bites, with no substance. He serves up platitudes and 'solutions' which are nonsensical but appealing to those who have their minds already shuttered by ignorance and hate. He appeals directly to the NRA and the traditional Red States.

His followers are clearly tainted in many cases with the most extreme and vile fascism and racism and he is deliberately tapping into this as a power base. His followers expect power and influence to come their way if he gets himself in a position of power.

Treating him as a laughing stock was a major mistake, in the same way as treating Adolf Hitler as a silly man who could be controlled once handed power was a mistake. Of course, one does not want to add credence to Trump's ridiculous statements and 'solutions' but the time has come (in fact it is long overdue) for the intelligent and reasonable of the USA to pull out all the stops to put an end to his power play. If he were ever to reach the White House it would be a very sad day for the USA and the rest of the world. At least the US has checks and balances within its constitution but so many civil liberties etc. have been undermined over the years that one worries anyway. It is a pity that many of those standing against him (both red and blue) are not exactly squeaky clean either.

This is my view from this side of The Pond. Mr. Trump is an embarrassment and I sincerely hope that he is going to be assigned merely a footnote in the history of the United States of America.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2016 2:59 pm  #18

What Davina said.   

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 9, 2016 5:19 pm  #19

I agree...but I think he may well be the next president.

March 9, 2016 5:42 pm  #20

...with horrible hair.

----------

Board footera