BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2016 2:53 pm  #21

Re: "Die Braut des Grauens" TAB in German

My choice would be "Die grausige Braut" - I love the assonance 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 1, 2016 9:54 pm  #22

"Die Braut des Grauens" (muhaha) can now be pre-ordered, for example here: http://www.thalia.de/shop/home/suggestartikel/ID44626136.html?sswg=FILM&sq=Sherlock-Die%20Braut%20Des%20Grauens , or here: http://www.amazon.de/Sherlock-Die-Braut-Grauens-DVDs/dp/B01AYVBZG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454363460&sr=8-1&keywords=die+braut+des+grauens

It'll be released on Tuesday right after Easter. Last time Amazon actually delivered S3 on the saturday before Easter (or was it Pentecost? I don't remember), but anyway, they delivered early. Would be nice being able to watch it on Easter saturday or sunday already.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 10, 2016 1:42 pm  #23

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 10, 2016 2:10 pm  #24

Good one!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 10, 2016 2:39 pm  #25

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 10, 2016 2:47 pm  #26

Very accurate. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 10, 2016 5:13 pm  #27

All I can say is: they are reeeaaally fast compared to the ZDF and their approach to "Broadchurch"...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 10, 2016 5:22 pm  #28

Great job! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 3, 2016 8:31 am  #29

Here is the German trailer. The translation is sometimes awkward and not very elegant but there are some nice lines as well:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wd_xkl9zp8M

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 3, 2016 8:39 am  #30

"Die Bühne steht"??

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 3, 2016 9:42 am  #31

Oh yes, mrshouse, "Die Bühne steht." LOL...

I will never get over that title.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 3, 2016 9:55 am  #32

Well, maybe you know that I am a translator and I am always sitting on the fence about criticising the German version. It is very, very difficult to find a good translation that also corresponds with the mouth movements. I sometimes feel that I have to defend our profession.
For example I think that "Im Tweed zur Leiche" is as good as the original, if not better. 

March 3, 2016 10:07 am  #33

I never meant to insult or ridicule anybody. Sorry, if it came across that way.
Usually I think the work of translating movies and TV shows into German is done very good and the quality is in general quite high.

March 3, 2016 10:26 am  #34

But "Die Bühne steht" is a good example for something we just don't say. Ever. And in such cases it's far better to look for a different expression, even if at first glance it's a bit different from what was said in the original version. You'd say "Die Bühne ist bereitet", but maybe that wouldn't work because it's not lip sync. Then why not find something else? "Die Bühne steht" is just ridiculous, sorry. 

March 3, 2016 10:58 am  #35

I just wanted to say that there are good and bad elements in every translation. But sometimes we tend to "das Kind mit dem Bade ausschütten" and just concentrate on the bad ones. For example, I really do not like the translation of the "our every sunny day" lines. But I am glad when I find something that is really elegant and to the point and adequate to the original. *Getting off my soap box, as tonnaree would say.* 

March 3, 2016 11:06 am  #36

I totally agree with you, there certainly are good and bad elements in almost any translation.
The thing just is that as a 'normal' viewer you only tend to stumble across the things that sound odd. And a good translation might not be recognized as such, just because it flows and sounds right - and a 'normal' viewer most certainly will never say "Oh, now that sounded really right!".  

March 3, 2016 11:49 am  #37

I can actually from time to time consciously acknowledge good translation works. If I have watched a movie in German and then go for the original version for learning effects and out of curiosity as well, I could actually name a couple where the original has nothing to add for me.
Examples: Milos Foreman's "Amadeus" or "Without a clue".

March 3, 2016 12:03 pm  #38

I always try to think of the poor dubbing guys and the mouth moving problem when I roll my eyes at translations iI don't like, I can imagine that's quite complicated.

The only thing that really bothered me was the "Siezen" but we left that behind in TST. Hallelujah!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 3, 2016 2:35 pm  #39

I think the "Siezen" here is quite lovely and in character and it provides a nice contrast with the modern scenes where they say "du". 

As for brilliant dubbing - I tried watching "Life of Brian" in English and did not laugh half as much as with the German version. There are indeed exceptions.

March 14, 2016 7:07 pm  #40

At first ignored for three months, then broadcasted everywhere at once... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera