BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2016 5:09 am  #1

Clues that Mary is Birdy Edwards & Valley of Fear will adapted for s4

Several people on the forum are already aware of the theory that Mary is based on the character of Birdy Edwards from The Valley of Fear, and came up with it long before I did. It has been discussed in many other threads, but the idea didn't come to my attention until I read the story for myself a few months ago.

Anyway, I'm repeating a lot of what has already been said elsewhere, but I thought I'd start a new topic to bring all the evidence together.

If you haven't read ACD's The Valley of Fear, you can find it online here (Project Gutenberg text) and here (audiobook on YouTube) or you can read a summary here.

At the beginning of the story, Holmes receives an encrypted message from "Fred Porlock", an agent of Moriarty's who occasionally sends Holmes insider information about the consulting criminal's network.

(Compare this with the ending of HLV: a cryptic message, seemingly from Moriarty, but he is dead, so it must be from someone else; perhaps an associate.)

There is supposed to be a second message which will contain the key to deciphering the first message, but instead the message from Porlock states that he is afraid of Moriarty and will not reveal the information.

However, Holmes soon deciphers it anyway, and discovers that a man called John Douglas of Birlstone is in danger.

A Scotland Yard Inspector visits Baker Street and asks for Holmes' help in a case. Douglas was found murdered that morning, shot in the head in his home. A friend and frequent guest of Douglas, Cecil Barker, was staying with him at the time. Barker and Mrs Douglas claim they heard the gunshot and rushed in to find Douglas dead. It turns out they are hiding Douglas alive and well in the house, that it was in fact his attacker who was killed and they made it look like it was Douglas. The story comes out about the true identity of Douglas.

John Douglas is actually Birdy Edwards, an American who was once a Pinkerton detective who infiltrated and brought down a murderous gang called the Scowrers. He fled to England five years ago to escape their revenge. He changed his name, started a new life, remarried (his first wife had died) and tried to lie low.

(Mary Morstan has a secret past. She once worked for the FBI/CIA but went freelance. We know her real initials are A.G.R.A. She took the name Mary Elizabeth Morstan from the headstone of a stillborn baby and claims she is an orphan with no other family. She possibly affects an English accent to cover the fact that she is not British. She became a nurse, met and married John. Mary Morstan is a façade, and she will do anything to keep the truth from coming out.)

Edwards/Douglas posed as Jack McMurdo and gained the respect and trust of the head of the Scowrers. He was branded with a symbol which identified him as a member of the secret criminal organisation. Although he was a Pinkerton detective, Douglas had to do many terrible, violent things to maintain his reputation in the gang. Sometimes Douglas would be ordered to kill someone but he would do his best to help them get away from the gang. He still committed many violent acts so as not to blow his own cover. He also had to lie to the woman he loved.

(Sherlock deduced that Mary has a secret tattoo. Mary went rogue from the CIA and killed many people. Magnussen says she was "wicked". CAM threatened to reveal her past life and she would have killed him and Sherlock to keep the truth from John. According to Sherlock, Mary shot him intending only to wound him, not to kill him, and then called an ambulance.)

Cecil Barker later became Douglas's friend and confidante. (Mary knows all about needing a confidante. Does she have one?)

At the end of The Valley of Fear, Holmes urges Douglas to leave England to escape from his enemies. He takes this advice and leaves on a boat to Africa, but is mysteriously lost overboard. Holmes later receives a message which indicates that Moriarty was consulted by the Scowrers and arranged for Douglas' death. (It's fairly likely that Mary Watson will die in s4, as per canon.)

This version of Mary's past would somewhat redeem her character for some of us (for others, maybe not). And if The Valley of Fear is to be adapted for s4, we might get a new villain in the form of Scowrers Boss, Bodymaster McGinty.

Last edited by ukaunz (February 26, 2016 6:28 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 26, 2016 1:11 pm  #2

Re: Clues that Mary is Birdy Edwards & Valley of Fear will adapted for s4

Although I still have no desire to see Mary redeemed, this is a fascinating theory and I could live with it if I had to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 26, 2016 6:38 pm  #3

It's also canon that Dr. Watson never became a father, so if Mary does die as we surmise, the baby will have to die with her.

February 26, 2016 6:56 pm  #4

That is absolutely fascinating how a lot of things click together if you see it like this.
I think you covered all the big points, ukaunz, good work!
And it would provide me with something HLV never gave me:a proper back-story for a character with multiple facets and motivations one could relate to, not just confusing pieces of explanations, domestics and reconciliations cut together and shoved down my throat.
Plus (and personally for me that day cannot come quick enough) it gives the character not only an exit but a real pompous one! ( I see myself in front of the telly, sobbing uncontrollably, regretting all I said  )
Plus the weird relationship with Mycroft would become clear, if he was responsible for helping her settling in England.
Still, I don't really see how the baby makes sense in this...
And I see heartbreaking scenes like Sherlock urging the Watsons to flee and saying goodbye yet again.   

What does not appeal to me is the thought of another Marydrama, I agree with tonaree that by the end of S4 that should all be fully resolved.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 26, 2016 7:40 pm  #5

Really interesting how so many things suddenly would make sense. I am not sure they are going to use all of this - they never do - but maybe some elements. What I do not see, however, is the connection to Mycroft. Did Edwards have the help of the British government or secret service when settling in England? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2016 9:12 pm  #6

I will be re-reading this story soon and now with added interest!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2016 9:20 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

Really interesting how so many things suddenly would make sense. I am not sure they are going to use all of this - they never do - but maybe some elements. What I do not see, however, is the connection to Mycroft. Did Edwards have the help of the British government or secret service when settling in England? 

There's no mention of anything like that. The closest is that he had a mining claim with (Englishman) Cecil Barker in California and they had amassed a fortune together before Douglas had to leave America suddenly.

You never know which elements of a story Moftiss will use or what they will change or add...

Last edited by ukaunz (February 26, 2016 9:21 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 26, 2016 9:20 pm  #8

All that sounds very interesting and makes sense. I haven't read a SH book so I can't join in regarding the canon. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 26, 2016 9:40 pm  #9

Well I hope you do one day, dear.
I am so enjoying reading some of the stories again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2016 10:47 pm  #10

Well, like I said before, I'm unfortunately not that interested in the canon. I don't watch Sherlock because it's the Sherlock Holmes (does it even makes sense?) the show could be called "Dave" and I would love it, because of the actors and the script writing

But of course I bow to ACD work, it is quite an achievement to create such a universally known and loved figure. My father has all the books, so never say never.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 26, 2016 11:06 pm  #11

Ivy wrote:

Well, like I said before, I'm unfortunately not that interested in the canon. I don't watch Sherlock because it's the Sherlock Holmes (does it even makes sense?) the show could be called "Dave" and I would love it, because of the actors and the script writing

But of course I bow to ACD work, it is quite an achievement to create such a universally known and loved figure. My father has all the books, so never say never.

It makes a lot of sense, I myself started watching it rather in spite of Sherlock Holmes - since already in my late teenage years I realised I had simply grown out of Canon, which had been fascinating to me only for so long.
Nowadays I think there are some interesting things in Canon to discover. But far from being favourite books, to me.

Edit: ukaunz, yours here is an example for why I find reading the Canon can be useful and interesting.
It helps interpret our BBC Sherlock.

Last edited by Harriet (February 26, 2016 11:10 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 26, 2016 11:38 pm  #12

I feel like I've gained so much by reading the canon. I was never interested in ACD, Sherlock Holmes, or even detective mysteries before I watched BBC Sherlock. But I'm the sort of person who likes to read the book that gave inspiration to the filmed version (although usually I read the book first). Once I started reading the stories and seeing where the references came from, I couldn't stop. I became a Sherlockian. I watched all the Granada series, TPLOSH, a couple of the old black and white movies, even Young Sherlock Holmes. I rewatched the Guy Ritchie films, anything I could find. I love being able to spot all these nods to different versions that Moftiss litter through the series like easter eggs

February 27, 2016 8:31 am  #13

The Mofftiss would be so proud of you. It's a very good thing if their works introduce you to the ACD universe.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 27, 2016 8:38 am  #14

Yes I really hate telling people they need to read the Canon.
Obviously people can please themselves and maybe for some bizarre reason if you are some kind of alien(tee hee)- the stories may just not be your thing!
Ha, only joking.
Seriously, I honestly don't care what people read!
But seriously, I do feel you get so much more out of BBC Sherlock, if you do know your canon.
Mark and Steven take so much from it and they fairly faithfully recreate it, albeit in a modern setting.

February 27, 2016 8:55 am  #15

Yes, I think so much of the story is fun references to canon, and it's worth getting an idea of the original (I haven't read all the stories, and I forget the details, so I'm not terribly good on it).   Personally, I grew up with the Rathbone films (which I absolutely loved!) rather than the stories (I was too busy with Agatha Christie for my period detective needs!).  When I joined the forum I was delighted to see there was a reading club here, but sadly, it seemed to be defunct! 

I came across the Birdy Edwards theory over a year ago, and I kind of like it.  It would mean that we wouldn't get arch-villain Mary.  But I think this would actually fit better - I do have a feeling that we've already been shown the villainous side of Mary.   Mary's past has felt a bit brushed under the carpet by the end of HLV, so I was glad that it was at least alluded to in TAB.   This would be a good way to make it part of the story.  Although I agree that Moftiss don't tend to make straightforward adaptations, so it might not have that much in common with the original. 

February 27, 2016 12:54 pm  #16

Okay, so we have a lot of fitting moments to go that way for Mary.
Still, I thought a lot about this since yesterday and there's something still bothering me:
It doesn't tie really neatly to her story arc in HLV. I'll try to explain: Mary keeps a secret past from John (in The Valley of fear as far as I remember the wife knows about the past and both Douglas ' are in cahoots with Cecil Barker) but Douglas/Edwards is not shown villainous to keep his secret past. He doesn't shoot someone who offers help. And stays threatening afterwards. Also what CAM says about Mary stays in mind. If she was the Birdy Edwards type he would hate her but hardly with that evil content in his voice.

February 27, 2016 2:08 pm  #17

Reading back over the relevant parts of the story, it seems that Mrs Douglas knew/guessed something of her husband's past, but not everything. I think she and Barker were given a very quick explanation after the shooting, and only then did she conspire with Barker to hide Douglas from the Scowrers and the police.

I'll have to think more on your other points... but anyway, Moftiss don't always follow canon exactly to the letter.

February 27, 2016 2:21 pm  #18

Yeah there doesn't seem to have been any thought to handing Mary over to anyone for anything.

February 27, 2016 6:02 pm  #19

besleybean wrote:

Yes I really hate telling people they need to read the Canon.
Obviously people can please themselves and maybe for some bizarre reason if you are some kind of alien(tee hee)- the stories may just not be your thing!
Ha, only joking.

I think it's quite cheap to first insult people who happen to have another taste, and then claim it's just a joke.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 27, 2016 6:05 pm  #20

Well unless you wish to call me a liar in public, you are going to have to accept it was a joke...which it was.
Well I found it funny, maybe it's a cultural thing.
The clue is in the fact that really, who would I ACTUALLY think was an alien?

Board footera