BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2016 9:25 pm  #1041

Re: Doctor Who

Mmmhh, I don't know why I'm so hostile about the idea of a female Doctor. I have to admit, I was never very keen for TV series or movies with a female lead. Perhaps because it's so unfamiliar. I like to watch Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff and there you usually have male leads, so it might be a matter of familiarisation. Therefore it might be time for a female Doctor but I can't bring myself to want that, not even for the sake of feminism  .

Oh, aside from the return of Captain Jack I would like to see the Paternoster Gang again in the next series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 5, 2016 10:17 pm  #1042

Ha, the Paternoster Gang is something I don't want to see again. In the beginning they were fun, but eventually they just started to get on my nerves.

As for a female Doctor: I don't have problems with female leads at all - for example I absolutely love "Jessica Jones", not just because of David Tennant but also because of the female lead and all the other really interesting female characters in the show (and I'm sorry for bringing this up, but Mofftiss could really learn something from JJ when it comes to real strong female characters...). I also love Olivia Coleman as Ellie Miller in "Broadchurch". I love Gillian Anderson in "The Fall". And there are more.
But for some reason "Doctor Who" is a show which (in my personal opinion - and it's probably more of a feeling than an opinion) needs a male lead. A male lead with a strong female companion, but still a male Doctor. Maybe I'd be proven wrong if one day we indeed get a female Doctor... but I'm not too keen on it. And quite frankly, as much as I love Chibnall's "Broadchurch" and "Torchwood", I'm not sure he'd be the right showrunner for a female Doctor.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 6, 2016 8:44 am  #1043

Yes, I know what you both mean.  I instinctively feel the Doctor should be male.  But I don't think I have any good reason why he has to be male.  And I feel the show has changed a lot since I was a child - I don't even want them to try to recreate exactly the same thing (honestly, I thought the original episodes were not as much fun to watch as an adult, and my viewing dropped off when I grew up, whereas I think the reboot is more geared to adult viewers).   I wouldn't like to see a woman cast just for the sake of it, but the right woman would be different.   I can't think of anybody who is such an obvious choice for the part as Peter Capaldi was.   I was just watching Miriam Margolyes last night and thinking how much she reminds me of Tom Baker (!), and wondering what she'd be like as the Doctor (probably brilliant!).  Frances de la Tour is my dream female casting.  Maybe Emma Thompson?  I know these are all big names so we wouldn't be likely to get them, but I'd certainly watch if they were cast. 

February 6, 2016 8:47 am  #1044

I'm only a semi-Whovian...
But I'm thinking after young Matt, they then went for older Peter.
So if they go for another male, I'm guessing it will be somebody younger or black...just a hunch!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 6, 2016 9:11 am  #1045

You're probably right.  I would prefer an older Doctor, and I think that's because as a child the doctors seemed so much older (older than my parents - can you imagine?) - Peter Capaldi was just perfect!    I think Matt Smith did so well that I can see them going for another relatively unknown actor.  Did you have anybody in mind?  If they cast a black actor, how about Don Warrington (I know he's already been in it, but so had Peter Capaldi)?  Young, I don't know at the moment, I'm not sure I see him as the Doctor, but I wouldn't say no to watching Aidan Turner every Saturday night. 

February 6, 2016 9:14 am  #1046

I have no particular preference, I've always been happy with the person that's been chosen.
What does irritate me is the stupid media stories, specifically those like: could Benedict Cumberbatch be the next Doctor?
Er no, not til Hell freezes over...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 6, 2016 10:39 am  #1047

In some article I read Lara Pulver was brought up as possible choice for a female Doctor, and I have to say that I have absolutely no idea how I'd like her as the Doctor. Not a clue. In the end the stories have to be good. If the stories suck, then it doesn't matter who plays the Doctor and whether or not the Doctor is male or female or black or white or whatever.
I aboslutely agree with Liberty though: I don't want a female Doctor just for the sake of it.
And Liberty, Aidan Turner looks interesting. I haven't seen "Poldark" yet, but an Irish Doctor might be fun. And I don't think he's too young. He's young, yes, but not too young.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 6, 2016 10:43 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 6, 2016 10:44 am  #1048

I would quite like Lara...
You're both warming me to the idea of Aidan.

Last edited by besleybean (February 6, 2016 10:45 am)

February 6, 2016 10:51 am  #1049

I only really know Lara from Sherlock, and Irene Adler looks a little bit too similar to Missy, perhaps?  But of course they could style Lara differently. 

I know it won't be Benedict Cumberbatch, but I do think he'd be really good, so I think it's fine to suggest him as dream casting!   How about Jim Broadbent?  He would be fantastic!   (I know, I have to think of some younger ones). 

I completely agree about the writing, Solar.

February 6, 2016 10:54 am  #1050

I only know Lara from Sherlock, too.
But I think she'd be a great Doctor.
Jim Broadbent is fab, too old?
Of course Benedict would kill the role and selfishly I'd love to see him as Sherlock AND the Doctor.
But I don't think he'd want to do it and the haters would slay him!

February 6, 2016 12:31 pm  #1051

I just talked about this with my boyfriend and we both came to the conclusion that we'd love Andrew Scott or Olivia Colman as a new Doctor.

February 6, 2016 1:13 pm  #1052

God...do you think?
Oh yes, Andrew could work it.
Particularly if he is out of Sherlock, now.
But Olivia too, she's about right age wise.

February 6, 2016 2:10 pm  #1053

To be honest, I can't imagine Bedendict as the Doctor, don't know why, but he didn't fit to the role for me. Andrew might work though.

But my favourite choice for the new Doctor would be Rory Kinnear, but I don't know whether this is realistic. If they are going for a elder actor again maybe Liam Cunningham?

But after all, I think what Solar said is right, it depends very much on the stories. I was very sceptical about Peter Capaldi at first, thought he is too old for the role (I only know the New Who series), but I really love his Doctor now and I'm not even up to date with the series yet.

I wonder whether there will be a live TV show for the revelation again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 6, 2016 5:30 pm  #1054

Oh wow, Rory would be fantastic, I can really imagine him in the role. But I somehow think that he's too established for that by now, not just because of James Bond. It might also collide with his theatre work too much. I could imagine that Chibnall might go with someone he's worked with before, but that's just a gut feeling on my part.

February 9, 2016 2:51 pm  #1055

the thing with playing the doctor is that there is very little time for the actors to have any career next to it. I think when they do a full season they film 9 to 10 month out of a year and I doubt the BBC can afford top payment for the actors. So I guess anyone who has made a name for themselves oversees would be unlikely to take on the doctor full-time.

I think I would actually prefer for the doctor to stay male, and here is why: I think there are very few role models for young boys who completely oppose violence. I think apart from the 3rd doctor (and arguably the war doctor) no doctor ever was a fighter in the traditional sense. especially NDW has made it clear that in order to truly win, the doctor needs to "be a doctor". When he steps into physical violence, it practically always spells disaster for him, while in other shows the hero usually becomes the hero by unlocking some kind of inner bravery and becoming a warrior in his own right. While a companion can also take that role, I personally have not really felt that there has been a companion who truly saw eye to eye with the doctor since Donna.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 9, 2016 9:34 pm  #1056

I like your thoughts, Lola.

March 7, 2016 6:09 am  #1057

I just watched the 2010 Christmas special, A Christmas Carol, and I loved it. Michael Gambon!
The scene when the Doctor deduces Kazran's childhood was brilliant, and very Sherlockian, it must have been good practice for Moffat

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 8, 2016 1:48 am  #1058

Now I'm watching The Impossible Astronaut, and this bit of dialogue seems vaguely familiar:

DOCTOR: Dr Song, you've got that face on again.
RIVER: What face?
DOCTOR: The "he's hot when he's clever" face.
RIVER: This is my normal face.
DOCTOR: It is.
RIVER: Oh, shut up.
DOCTOR: Not a chance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 8, 2016 5:51 am  #1059

I probably shouldn't say this here, but well...
There was a time when I found all those allusions to "Sherlock" very charming and funny, but by now I'm quite unimpressed by it. Because it happens too often. There is so much Sherlock in 12, going right down to almost precise lines of dialogue, that I'm beginning to wonder: Is this Moffat having fun with his two shows, or is it Moffat not being able to come up with something new...?

March 8, 2016 6:44 am  #1060

You know what, Solar?
It spreads into other BBC dramas, too.
There is some Sherlock dialogue in The Night Manager, too...am I right in thinking that director is a Sherlock/Who one?
I mean I know she doesn't write the script...
Actually I've just remembered...
As for Steven: he has said(on commentary I think) that he often reuses lines, but only because he has an appalling memory.
Sometimes he even worries he's nicked another writer's line, but it's usually his own!

Board footera