BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2014 9:59 pm  #21

Re: I need somewhere to discuss my Martin obsession....

Who do you prefer: kittens or Martin Freeman? 

November 20, 2014 6:40 am  #22

Kittens for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 11, 2014 8:26 pm  #23

This thread seemed appropriate to share my thoughts on Martin Freeman.

Now, I first saw him in Hitchhiker's. Ok movie, and I just filed him away as some English bloke playing silly and harmless characters. I was more than a bit sceptical when I heard he would play Bilbo, but he put my sceptisim to shame when I saw the first movie. But I still just viewed him as this harmless, boring guy.

Then I started watching Sherlock. And to be honest, the first few episodes I wasn't able to see anything else than Benedict. The man has such fantastic charisma that he just steals the scene completely. 

But then I slowly started to take notice of Dr Watson. And the more I saw, the more impressed I got, to the point where I now view the show just as much for Martin Freeman as I do for Benedict.

No, he doesn't have the same charisma, baritone voice and haughty good-looks as Benedict. But he has something else. There are a lot of great actors out there, but when I see Martin Freeman, I don't think "wow, that's great acting." I think "wow, that feels real." 

He is so grounded, so real in everything he portrays, and that is a quality I have seen in very few actors, especially not to the level he can do it.

Not to mention his reactions and facial expressions! They are half the show, the man is a God of expressions! 

So yes, color me impressed. 

Also, he is darn adorable. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 13, 2014 2:12 pm  #24

Vhanja wrote:

This thread seemed appropriate to share my thoughts on Martin Freeman.

No, he doesn't have the same charisma, baritone voice and haughty good-looks as Benedict. But he has something else. There are a lot of great actors out there, but when I see Martin Freeman, I don't think "wow, that's great acting." I think "wow, that feels real." 

He is so grounded, so real in everything he portrays, and that is a quality I have seen in very few actors, especially not to the level he can do it.

Not to mention his reactions and facial expressions! They are half the show, the man is a God of expressions! 

So yes, color me impressed. 

Also, he is darn adorable. 

That is how I feel about Martin too!!
I first saw him in Love actually 10 years ago and found him kind cute and then the next role I saw him in had been  Dr. Watson and I was quite impressed with his acting. I think the show works so splendidly because of the chemistry and dynamics between BC and MF and I like them equally.
I now have watched The Office, The Hobbits 1 and 2, Confetti and Nativity and I liked him in all those series/films. I think he brings a depth and authenticity even to the lighest comedy and unidimensional characters. But I have to say he impressed me the most live on stage as Richard III, such a phenomenal performance in a fantastic ensemble and an outstanding staging.
And when I met him very briefly afterwards he was so kind, polite and genuinely nice he won me over for a lifetime!

December 13, 2014 5:50 pm  #25

Germansherlockfan wrote:

That is how I feel about Martin too!!
I first saw him in Love actually 10 years ago and found him kind cute and then the next role I saw him in had been  Dr. Watson and I was quite impressed with his acting. I think the show works so splendidly because of the chemistry and dynamics between BC and MF and I like them equally.
I now have watched The Office, The Hobbits 1 and 2, Confetti and Nativity and I liked him in all those series/films. I think he brings a depth and authenticity even to the lighest comedy and unidimensional characters. But I have to say he impressed me the most live on stage as Richard III, such a phenomenal performance in a fantastic ensemble and an outstanding staging.
And when I met him very briefly afterwards he was so kind, polite and genuinely nice he won me over for a lifetime!

Wow, you've met him? That must've been awesome!

Yeah, he is hilarious, very authentic and very cute in The Office. I watched that after Sherlock, and was impressed again. 

Authentic is a good word for him. Real, grounded and authentic.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 11, 2015 11:04 pm  #26

Can I just tell you guys how much I love Moftiss on the commentary tracks for the S3? Their praise of Martin's acting in the whole reunion scene. And how toe-curlingly awesome it was to hear they honest-to-God laughing again and again at Martin's expressions throughout the Sherlock/Janine-scene in TLV. It made me so happy to hear their appreciation of Martin again and again, particular for the same scenes I've noticed myself.

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2015 7:57 am  #27

Thought this fitted here:

http://cant-deny-the-johnlock-ship.tumblr.com/post/118557648492/sussexbound-notmydate-the-moment-john

Another reason why I love TEH (and all other episodes, of course): Martin's expressive acting is pure gold. Like the reunion. He goes from disbelief to hurt to anger in seconds, without hardly changing his facial expression at all. I've never seen anyone who can do that as well as he does, it's awe-inspiring to watch.

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2015 9:01 am  #28

Well, I don't love TEH, but Martin's facial expressions can't be praised enough, he has a talent there which few actors have.
He's not an actor to fill the big screen, I think, but very very strong in close ups and telling whole stories with micro expressions. Eyes, mouth, little head twists.... And of course one of his strongest weapons: the smile! Have I ever mentioned that I love this smile? 
I would love if he got a chance to explore his dark sides a bit more, a bit like in Fargo.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 10, 2015 9:35 am  #29

Yeah, he surprised me again in Fargo. That was another side of him I hadn't seen, and thought he didn't have. I keep underestimating him, and he keeps suprrising me. 

Team Hudders!

August 8, 2015 11:03 pm  #30

I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to post it. Please keep in mind that this post comes from a deep love for Martin and all his work.

Martin is known for his sassiness. Which does include being sassy towards Ben. Because when they started Sherlock, Martin was the one who was already known. At least for me, and probably a few others. I had never heard of Ben, but knew about Martin. He was already a household name by the time Ben reached his fame.

And them shit hits the fan. Ben becomes this huge, enormous star "over night", because of Sherlock and Star Trek. And "left behind" is Martin. Who is older than Ben. Who was famous before Ben. Who has a longer resume than Ben. And suddenly Ben gets all the credit, all the spotlight, and whenever Maritn is asked a question, it's about Ben.

Could that explain his "feck  Ben"-attitude in interviews? Not that he reallly has anything against Ben personally, but that he is fed up about being the underdog. He is not John Watson. When people credit his role in the Marvel universe to Ben, it's getting ridiculous. 

Last edited by Vhanja (August 8, 2015 11:03 pm)

Team Hudders!

August 9, 2015 10:19 am  #31

I only knew Martin from his small part in "Love, Actually" before watching Sherlock so in my case both had the same "starting conditions". It can be dangerous to compare two actors who are so fundamentally different from each other therefore I will not try. But I can explain why I am a bigger fan of Benedict's than of Martin's (leaving aside their looks): in my opinion Benedict is simply more versatile. Just look at his enormous range of parts - and this also includes his voice work. This is in no way a critique of Martin but I feel that I am not the only one who may think along these lines. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 9, 2015 10:52 am  #32

I tend to agree with you, Susi. Before "Sherlock" I knew Martin from exactly two roles, "Love, Actually" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide". In both roles he did a great job, I absolutely love his Arthur Dent.
Thing is, you can't look into other people's heads. We will never know what Martin's true feelings towards Benedict and Benedict's fame are. I'm sure Martin knows that some actors attract a huge fan base while others simply don't, for different reasons. There is nothing you can do about it and I'm sure that Martin is enough of a professional to simply accept it and live with it. Maybe his sassy comments are his way of telling the media and the public that it's all fine, but that he just doesn't want to talk about Benedict but about his own work. Which is only fair.
Apart from all that, I'm sure Martin is very well aware of the fact that the media tends to come up with all kinds of bullshit all the time and that this isn't Benedict's fault.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 9, 2015 11:12 am  #33

Yes, I think you are right. And Martin just has another way of dealing with bullshit than Benedict has. Which is fine. And implying that he got a part just because Benedict is working in the same fandom is as ridiculous as saying that Benedict only was chosen as the Dragon because Martin was The Hobbit. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 8, 2016 4:38 pm  #34

I saw the extra material on the two first Hobbit movies earlier this year, and this amazing quote from Ian McKellen comes to mind:

"Martin Freeman’s got lots of quirks and talents, many of which are on display in the film, but his most remarkable quality as an actor is to be able—with absolute clarity—to convey that he is thinking two things at the same time and you know, as an audience, what they are. And I wasn’t the only one on the set to say to myself later, ‘I wish I could act like that.’ Martin Freeman has a pallet of subtlety, and I thought ‘this is a new sort of acting that I’ve never seen before.’”

That is a direct quote from Ian, and it made me love him even more. Because it was a great way to summarize Martin's talent, in a way.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 8, 2016 4:40 pm)

Team Hudders!

February 8, 2016 4:54 pm  #35

Think of the reunion scene in TEH.  A dozen emotions go across Martin's face in a moment and he barely moves a muscle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 8, 2016 5:32 pm  #36

Love that quote.  And I know!!  Often amazed me, just watching it.  Another favorite comment from a friend about that ability-   I always got a kick out of recalling Moffat joking about Martin tweaking around with his scripts, canceling out lines and going 'No, no… I can do that with a look!'   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 8, 2016 5:33 pm  #37

Quite so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2016 6:44 pm  #38

tonnaree wrote:

Think of the reunion scene in TEH.  A dozen emotions go across Martin's face in a moment and he barely moves a muscle.

I know, my favorite scene in the series, acting-wise. I'm in awe everytime I watch it.

Team Hudders!

February 8, 2016 6:50 pm  #39

It's very sad...I really feel for John at that moment.

February 10, 2016 2:10 am  #40

There's no "dreams about Martin" thread, so I thought I'd post this here.

I met Martin Freeman in my dreams last night! I wish I could remember more details... But I remember spotting him, and going up to him and saying "Hi", and feeling really nervous and awkward but then Martin was just lovely and we ended up have a wonderful conversation. He was so real, and so Martin. Like I was meeting a real person. Aargh, I wish I could have recorded this dream somehow! (and why haven't I had any almost-lucid dreams about Benedict?!)

Last edited by ukaunz (February 10, 2016 3:26 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera