BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2015 3:43 pm  #81

Re: SiB questions and answers thread

kornmuhme wrote:

Ok, folks, I've watched this episode twice so far - and I still don't get it, well, not everything. Can anybody tell me what it is with this Flight of the Dead People?? What was the exact plan of the British/American government? Did they want to trick the terrorists by allowing them to put a bomb to the plane with only dead people? But how could the Government(s) know WHEN the terrorists would place the bomb - and in which plane?
Ok, this is my first questión, but I think there'll be some more ... This episode is one of the best (maybe THE best), but it is also a little hard to follow and to combine everything ...

The government had managed to get hold of the plans of the terrorists, the crypted mail. With this mail they knew exactly when and where the bomb would be placed. But removing the bomb or stopping the plane from going altogether would have alerted the terrorists to them knowing the plan. Instead they filled the plane with already dead people. Thus there would be bodies found at the crash site and the terrorists would have believed themselves to have succeeded, but no lives would have been lost.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings
http://i.imgur.com/NzWTIDd.png

Team Hudders!

July 3, 2015 4:46 pm  #82

Vhanja wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

Ok, folks, I've watched this episode twice so far - and I still don't get it, well, not everything. Can anybody tell me what it is with this Flight of the Dead People?? What was the exact plan of the British/American government? Did they want to trick the terrorists by allowing them to put a bomb to the plane with only dead people? But how could the Government(s) know WHEN the terrorists would place the bomb - and in which plane?
Ok, this is my first questión, but I think there'll be some more ... This episode is one of the best (maybe THE best), but it is also a little hard to follow and to combine everything ...

The government had managed to get hold of the plans of the terrorists, the crypted mail. With this mail they knew exactly when and where the bomb would be placed. But removing the bomb or stopping the plane from going altogether would have alerted the terrorists to them knowing the plan. Instead they filled the plane with already dead people. Thus there would be bodies found at the crash site and the terrorists would have believed themselves to have succeeded, but no lives would have been lost.

The mail on Irene's phone? But I thought nobody had known that she was keeping this mail on her phone, and only Sherlock could decipher it. That means to me, that neither Mycroft nor anyone else from the governments knew anything about it. Where should they have found out about the terrorist's plans?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 3, 2015 4:58 pm  #83

In my opinion Mycroft and his intelligence service were the first ones to obtain this coded message. And Irene Adler (who got intimate with some Mycroft´s employee) then managed to copy the message on her phone but could not decipher it and didn´t understood what she´s got her hands on.

That means Mycroft´s intelligence people´s knowledge about the terrorist attack predated Irene´s - Irene only obtained the information because an unfortunate "leak" occured.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/eb0e156f55878fcd6f89dcf91ae89811/tumblr_o0eyyzrphE1spvwrzo2_1280.gif

July 3, 2015 7:26 pm  #84

Incidentally, I asked a very similar question in the Bond Air thread - and we pretty much agreed that the whole "terrorist plot" didn't make a lot of sense. Btw, there was no crypted mail - the line on Irene's phone, photographed from a Ministry of Defense employee, was seat assignments in clear. There's absolutely no indication in the show of how "the government" ever learnt of the terrorists' plans, or why it is a problem that Moriarty now knows which airplane will be filled with dead people.

At least I haven't found anything in about half a dozen viewings. And it took me a number of viewings to even realize that the plot doesn't make much sense - the episode is just so much fun to watch!

July 3, 2015 7:34 pm  #85

Kittyhawk wrote:

And it took me a number of viewings to even realize that the plot doesn't make much sense - the episode is just so much fun to watch!

Well said! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/eb0e156f55878fcd6f89dcf91ae89811/tumblr_o0eyyzrphE1spvwrzo2_1280.gif

July 3, 2015 7:47 pm  #86

Kittyhawk wrote:

Incidentally, I asked a very similar question in the Bond Air thread - and we pretty much agreed that the whole "terrorist plot" didn't make a lot of sense. Btw, there was no crypted mail - the line on Irene's phone, photographed from a Ministry of Defense employee, was seat assignments in clear. There's absolutely no indication in the show of how "the government" ever learnt of the terrorists' plans, or why it is a problem that Moriarty now knows which airplane will be filled with dead people.

At least I haven't found anything in about half a dozen viewings. And it took me a number of viewings to even realize that the plot doesn't make much sense - the episode is just so much fun to watch!

Oh sorry, haven't checked if there had ever been a similar question. I just thought this thread would be the best one for my question.
But obviously I'm not the only one having a hard time to struggle through the twisted plothttp://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png
 . I just don't know why this all this terrorist-plane-dead people plot is needed and what should it lead to.
From the beginning the case deals with Irene having some delicate photos but not wanting to blackmail anybody, but "just" wanting to keep the photos to have a personal insurance. Until the point when the CIA guys from America come to her house to get the phone. WHY?

July 3, 2015 11:45 pm  #87

kornmuhme wrote:

I just don't know why this all this terrorist-plane-dead people plot is needed and what should it lead to.

It leads to Sherlock's most embarrasing moment. When his fascination over Irene, and his willingness to play into her game and impress her, leads to the huge project of 007 being shut down. Excellent character development, I think.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 5, 2015 12:52 pm  #88

The "terrorist-plane-dead people plot" comes from a deleted (or not even filmed?) scene in a James-Bond-movie (which is why Mycroft says: "Bond Air is Go!"). Moftiss liked the idea and so they used it.

Personally I have doubts whether Moftiss could write a good thriller/crime story (along the line of "Inside Man", "Bound", "Die Hard", or "Jack Reacher") to save their lives. For me the plots have always been the weakest point of the show. And Moftiss are constantly saying something like "Sherlock is not a detective story, it's a story about a detective...."

July 5, 2015 8:16 pm  #89

Vhanja wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

I just don't know why this all this terrorist-plane-dead people plot is needed and what should it lead to.

It leads to Sherlock's most embarrasing moment. When his fascination over Irene, and his willingness to play into her game and impress her, leads to the huge project of 007 being shut down. Excellent character development, I think.

What do you think is his most embarassing moment? The moment when he finds out that Irene has manipulated and used him to decipher the mail on her phone? (I'm thinking of the scene in the plane with Mycroft, Sherlock and Irene. Mycroft is revealing to Sherlock that he's become a traitor.)

July 5, 2015 8:24 pm  #90

kornmuhme wrote:

What do you think is his most embarassing moment? The moment when he finds out that Irene has manipulated and used him to decipher the mail on her phone? (I'm thinking of the scene in the plane with Mycroft, Sherlock and Irene. Mycroft is revealing to Sherlock that he's become a traitor.)

Yeah, that scene. Personally, I think the most embarrasing moment would be when Mycroft says: "I'm sorry. I didn't realise." If I was Sherlock, that would've been the most humiliating thing Mycroft could've said. Much, much worse than any anger or smugness.

That moment is Sherlock at his lowest, in my opinion. (Not lowest as in Sherlock acting horribly or low, but the moment when he feels the lowest and smallest). Or so I see it.

Team Hudders!

February 3, 2016 6:34 pm  #91

Does anyone know what kind of car Irene Adler was being driven in in A Scandal in Belgravia?  It was absolutely gorgeous and I'm now obsessed to find out what kind of vehicle it was.

Board footera