BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2016 9:10 pm  #461

Re: Violence at the reunion

besleybean wrote:

I think the show beautifully portrays both Sherlock's physical and emotional traumas.
I just hope his team of carers keep him well.
I'm never entirely happy at John'r reactions to Sherlock, but I think they are true to his character.

I'm curious-- what are you not happy with in regards to John's reactions to Sherlock? Genuinely interested. 

January 20, 2016 9:12 pm  #462

Well we all knew he was going to hit Sherlock at The Reunion, when I would have preferred his reaction to be the same as Lestrade's.
He keeps shouting at Sherlock about drugs...I know he tries to be understanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2016 9:24 pm  #463

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I was speaking in generalities, not calling you out personally.   

I didn't take it personally, my reply was in general too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2016 9:38 pm  #464

besleybean wrote:

Well we all knew he was going to hit Sherlock at The Reunion, when I would have preferred his reaction to be the same as Lestrade's.
He keeps shouting at Sherlock about drugs...I know he tries to be understanding.

I totally agree. The other thing-- I thought the John attacking Sherlock thing was fanservice-- because for two years almost every post TRF fic had John beating up Sherlock when he returned...

January 20, 2016 9:39 pm  #465

Vhanja wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I was speaking in generalities, not calling you out personally.   

I didn't take it personally, my reply was in general too.

Oh, good! Whew! 

October 15, 2016 2:03 pm  #466

Liberty wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure if it's Sherlock saying John might have let something slip that sets John off.  It seems to be when Sherlock says that he's missed the excitement (maybe hitting a nerve - John is clearly bored at work). 

I thought it was not so much "You've missed this" as "Just the two of us against the rest of the world," which is what John had thought they were until finding that he had been left out of this most important secret, while others were told.

October 15, 2016 2:33 pm  #467

Also, we know that John is quite capable of doing real damage.  He didn't.  Or at least he was not aware of the possibility, not knowing that Sherlock had recently been beaten to a pulp.  He made his frustration clear in an extreme situation, and I do think it's at least partly something guys do, or at least something guys on film do.  Sherlock kept saying exactly the wrong thing.  I don't think he was doing it on purpose; I think Mary is right:  "Gosh, you really don't understand human nature, do you?"  John wanted to cause at least a little pain both in return for the pain he'd suffered and in an effort to get through to Sherlock, who continues clueless.  Only when he admits his parents knew as well does he really pull off an actual "sorry" rather than an automatic one.

Last edited by cmb711 (October 15, 2016 2:38 pm)

October 15, 2016 2:50 pm  #468

He still doesn't deserve the belting he gets!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 15, 2016 3:06 pm  #469

I agree. I never really liked this exaggerated violence. Once would have been enough. And if we believe the blog, John let him stew for some time, not forgiving Sherlock at once. I think this was a worse punishment than being beaten up but still. I do not like it. And it is quite OOC for John as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 15, 2016 3:08 pm  #470

I honestly just think they thought it made good TV and they were right...it did.

October 15, 2016 4:02 pm  #471

cmb711 wrote:

Also, we know that John is quite capable of doing real damage.  He didn't.  Or at least he was not aware of the possibility, not knowing that Sherlock had recently been beaten to a pulp.  He made his frustration clear in an extreme situation, and I do think it's at least partly something guys do, or at least something guys on film do.  Sherlock kept saying exactly the wrong thing.  I don't think he was doing it on purpose; I think Mary is right:  "Gosh, you really don't understand human nature, do you?"  John wanted to cause at least a little pain both in return for the pain he'd suffered and in an effort to get through to Sherlock, who continues clueless.  Only when he admits his parents knew as well does he really pull off an actual "sorry" rather than an automatic one.

I agree with this. And also with your point, besley. 

I don't really have a problem with this. I understand John perfectly, and Sherlock - without being aware of it - only kept making it worse. It's not a matter of who deserved what for me. It's a matter of understanding where the characters are coming from, and I don't have a problem understanding either of them.

And, at the end of the day, it's tv. It's meant to be entertainment and not be analyzed too much or be taken too seriously. For instance, the scene in TSoT with Sherlock and Mary's ex is played for laugh. If you really look at what's going on here, I think the scene is actually incredibly creepy. Sherlock is stepping over so many bounderies it's bordering on being true psychopath behaviour. But I don't mind - it's tv, it works and it's funny in the scene, even though it would be horrific in real life.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:04 pm  #472

I take your point, but creepiness isn't as bad as physical violence!

October 15, 2016 4:07 pm  #473

Stalking and deciding someone elses extent of friendship under threat isn't much better, in my opinion. Also, I find mental manipulation of fear (HoB lab and tube scene in TEH) to be just as bad as phsycial violence.

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:11 pm  #474

Each to their own, I guess! 
I think Sherlock is just being over zealous with Mary's ex.
I think with John on the Tube, again it's Sherlock's social ineptness. He is desperate to receive John's forgiveness, wants to say sorry and just doesn't know how to.

October 15, 2016 4:14 pm  #475

And John is just extremely hurt and angry over having being led to watch his best friend commit suicide in front of his very eyes, and then to grieve over him for two years, before Sherlock comes back all "ta dah!"

So, yeah, everything can be "just". 

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:15 pm  #476

Nobody doubts John's pain...I merely don't understand why he reacts with violence.
I still think he should have reacted like Greg.

October 15, 2016 4:29 pm  #477

He did - one episode later. I think Sherlock needed a bigger reaction (although not necessarily the violence) to understand the severity of how what he'd done had affected John. 

I just don't like that whenver Sherlock does something bad, it's easily explained for being "just" this or that, while John is criticised much harder for his actions. Give them both equal amount of understanding, I say. 

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:32 pm  #478

Well again, I get that.
But to be fair, nobody is more critical of Sherlock being a murderer than me.

October 15, 2016 4:33 pm  #479

I think my morals must be as skewed as Sherlock's - there are several things Sherlock does that I have way more trouble with than the murder.

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:34 pm  #480

For me, it is the single most appalling act in the show.

Board footera