BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2016 8:21 am  #21

Re: "Pure reason toppled by sheer melodrama"

I think there's a slight difference between drama/melodrama and sentiment, although both are emotionally based. 

Actually, you see a little of both aspects in that scene with Irene - the drama of trying to impress her actually makes his mind work faster, but the fact that he wants to impress her so much clouds his judgment and leads to a bad decision. 

We see drama sharpening his mind in the Sholto case too - it's when somebody's about to die that he can "solve" it.   It's one of his strengths (even if he implies to himself in his mind palace that it's a weakness - or at least implies that Mycroft sees it as a weakness).

Last edited by Liberty (January 11, 2016 8:28 am)

January 11, 2016 6:15 pm  #22

Thanks for all of your opinions. Thanks to you, I've had more views for that sentence.
By the way, in the beginning of this episode, when John said goodbye to the newsvendor, I heard "Let on, walk" (from the cab driver?). I still have no idea for a sentence "Let on". Can you explain this sentence to me? Thanks in advance!!

January 11, 2016 6:17 pm  #23

Was he speaking to the horse?
Is it 'Let on'?
Or maybe' Get on'.
I'm really not sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2016 5:30 am  #24

Did you actually hear that line, "Let on, walk"?

Ariane's transcript has it as "Walk on".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2016 6:47 am  #25

Which I would have thought was the normal command to a horse!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2016 8:09 am  #26

BBC captions have it as "Let on, walk".   I've tried to hear it as "get on, walk" or "walk on, walk" and it doesn't seem to fit for me - but I'm honestly not the best at hearing.   All I can be sure of is that I hear three syllables!

January 12, 2016 8:23 am  #27

I've had a listen just now: sounds like "Walk on, walk"  but I'm not sure that the last word is "walk". My other guess is it's the horses name

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2016 4:52 pm  #28

Possibly, 'Walk on, now...or then/there?' I don't know.

Board footera